Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
before we get emotional about "displacing the poor," let's try to keep in mind that it's the poor who qualify for all sorts of government assistance, including subsidized housing; people who have solid middle-class incomes, and still can only afford property in the crappiest neighborhoods in the cities in which they grew up and and wish to stay do not. if they are willing to take a chance and sink their hard-earned money into those neighborhoods and make them liveable for others like themselves, let's not demonize them.

I agree 100%.
Hopefully the redevelopement of los angeles will continue, and families will
will choose housing close to work in renewed neighborhoods rather than out in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
You must stay at a really cheap dive when you visit la. What do you do, stay at those hotel/apts with all the illegals? next time try santa monica. downtown, universal, or any of the beach towns.

You would also be surprised at the # of tattletales around here.

You seem to be referring to Isolated incidents you must have seen on television news broadcasts and special reports etc. Out of state news broadcasts will never show positive news about another state. especially a west coast state. We can hardly get them to do it out here locally.

The police are pretty visible depending on what areas you go to and they generally hang around where they respond most.

Matter of fact, I called the police a few weeks ago. They showed up within 20 minutes. Once I also called on a dui driving pch. 4 cruisers appeared within 10 minutes.
Nope, don't stay at a dive. I stay in West Hollywood.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
actually 10 to 20 years ago LA county was tops in crime, especially violent. since 2000 its improved alot. its still among the leaders in homicide rate and robbery rate among metro areas though.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 AM

98 posts, read 480,963 times
Say what you want and believe what you want but L.A. is way more dangerous than Minneapolis. When I was in L.A. last year 6 people died in one day from gang related shootings, Minnepolis don't even get that in a week. I have lived in the twin cities and i have never feared for my own safety. A city the size of Minneapolis should be compared to Flint, Mi or Oakland, Ca which blows both of the twin cities out of the water when it comes to crime. I don't even know why people make such a big deal about Minneapolis like it's so crime ridden that you can't walk down the street, please, try walking down the blocks in L.A. and you will be lucky you don't get shot. I'm from detroit and i even got a little nervous being in my bro in law's hood at echo park. L.A's gangbangin' lifestyle aint nothing to play with. It's not like in Minneapolis where people imitate the style and throw signs and think it's a game. Those L.A. boyz will put you in the dirt for real. Minneapolis has nothing on L.A....don't believe the hype! The most murder Minnepolis had in it's histrory was about 90. L.A. has had over 1000 murders before so how the hell can Minneapolis be more dangerous that L.A.?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
try walking down the blocks in L.A. and you will be lucky you don't get shot. ...how the hell can Minneapolis be more dangerous that L.A.?
Minneapolis, or any city, can be more dangerous than LA, or any other city, if its crime statistics per capita are higher. Honestly. It's just that simple.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 PM

190 posts, read 443,504 times
The progress in fighting crime and the fixing up of various neighborhoods is encouraging. There's still a long way to go, and I hope the city continues to improve. It's interesting that only NYC is safer according to those stats, because the difference in walking the streets there vs. during the 80s is palpable. I also feel safe walking around in LA, especially since there are so many families and children present at most attractions.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Agree; crime stats are fairly irrelevant/misleading....most of LA region, where upstanding people live/work, is rather safe....

Vast sections of any major urban region, incl NYC/Chic/SF, etc, are fairly unsafe at wrong time of day/nt....and these unsafe areas are easily predicted by common-sense...and easily avoided....

Know too many affluent people who live/work in LA/NYC/SF/Chic who've never been victims of crime (or have felt threatened) despite yrs of exposure to these allegedly big, bad towns....

Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I've actually been pretty scared to go to LA right now. I heard some little girl got shot by the crips just because she was black. And it isn't the first time something like that happened in LA. What if I want to visit family and they happen to live in the hood. Will I possibly get shot getting out of the car? It's scary.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
If you do the same sort of thing for the various LAPD precincts, you get some strange results. The "safest" neighborhood is the one around MacArthur park, mostly because it is so incredibly dense with people that the crime per person is low. The most "dangerous" neighborhood is Downtown for the opposite reason: there are so few people that the crime per person is high, plus skid row is there.

Note this this is just the Part I crimes for this year so far. These aren't 12 month numbers.

The neighborhoods don't vary that dramatically when you look at it this way. You would see dramatic differences between neighborhoods if you were looking just at the murder rates, though.

Plus, Downtown and West LA get a bad rap here because I didn't count that it gets loaded with workers during the daytime. Its daytime population is way higher, so its number should probably be lower to take that into account.

77th (Crenshaw) 2503
Central (Downtown) 5428
Devonshire (Northridge) 1270
Foothill (Pacoima) 1455
Harbor (Wilmington) 1808
Holenbeck (Boyle Heights) 1337
Hollywood 1234
Mission Hills 1487
Newton (S Central) 2575
NoHo 2105
NorthEast (Cypress Park) 1534
Pacific (Venice) 1842
Rampart (Macarthur Park) 989
South East (Watts) 2287
South West (Jefferson Park) 2856
Van Nuys 1384
West LA 1254
West Valley 1713
Wilshire 1750

Last edited by Mike121; 07-30-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I KNOW!!! I had to work the numbers for St Louis 3 times because I could not believe it was that bad! But in research online I found it to be true that it is generally rated the most dangerous city in the country. How sad! Yet uninformed people very incorrectly put that designation on LA grrrrrr

As I have family in St. Louis, I can tell you that it IS that bad. However, just to be fair, East St. Louis is to blame for most of that I'd say. It is across the river from downtown and is probably the worst place I have ever visited. But yea, St. Louis as a whole is not a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles