Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,695 times

Advertisements

I'm on a mini personal project. In order to conceptually understand a metro area, I need to be able to understand what are its functional regions and which key neighborhoods belong where.

Can any locals help me understand what LA's regions are? I'm excluding IE and OC from this.

Examples of what I mean by regions:

NYC: Brooklyn, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, "New Jersey" (Hoboken + Jersey City),
Washington DC: NW, SW, NE, SE, Northern Virginia, Montgomery County, PG County

Here's the list for LA that I've put together so far. Need help refining:

Beach Cities: Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey
Westside: Bel Air, Brentwood, Westwood, Culver City, Century City, Sawtelle, Palms, Mar Vista
South Bay: Manhattan Beach, Torrance, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Long Beach
South Central: Inglewood, Compton, Watts
Central LA: Ktown, Miracle Mile
Greater Downtown: Downtown, Chinatown, Echo Park,
Greater Hollywood: WeHO, BH, Hollywood, E. Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Atwater
The Valley: Pasadena to Calabasas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Santa Clarita Valley, Antelope Valley, San Gabrielle Valley and might as well include parts of Ventura County since a lot of people live in Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley but work in LA County

Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
And I would place Pasadena and maybe as far as Glendale with the San Gabriel Valley. Most folks think of "The Valley" as being the San Fernando Valley

Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Can any locals help me understand what LA's regions are?
It depends on how one defines regions. And, as the other poster mentioned, "The Valley" is the San Fernando Valley, not the San Gabriel Valley (the latter of which would include Pasadena but not Calabasas).

Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-10-2018, 02:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
We are only part of the combined SA, not the metropolitan area, that includes the IE and OC. So if IE and OC are out, leave Thousand Oaks out.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:08 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
South central should include Crenshaw and South central Los Angeles. Many people lump Compton in I guess. Inglewood is technically South Bay although most see demographics and put it with South LA.

MacArthur Park should be in greater downtown. Not sure why you left out places like East LA, Boyle Heights, the whole east side really. This is a weird list. Very white centric.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
South central should include Crenshaw and South central Los Angeles. Many people lump Compton in I guess. Inglewood is technically South Bay although most see demographics and put it with South LA.

MacArthur Park should be in greater downtown. Not sure why you left out places like East LA, Boyle Heights, the whole east side really. This is a weird list. Very white centric.
Because it's written by someone who doesn't live here and probably never been here

Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Can any locals help me understand what LA's regions are? I'm excluding IE and OC from this.
Mistake #1

Quote:
Examples of what I mean by regions:

NYC: Brooklyn, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, "New Jersey" (Hoboken + Jersey City),
Washington DC: NW, SW, NE, SE, Northern Virginia, Montgomery County, PG County
See mistake #1. The reason you are making this mistake is due to size, not population. LA metro is waaaay more spread out than NY

Quote:
Here's the list for LA that I've put together so far. Need help refining:

Beach Cities: Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey
Thats not the Beach cities. Not sure what its called as SM, Venice, MDR, PDR are part of the westside. Malibu is Malibu.

Quote:
South Bay: Manhattan Beach, Torrance, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Long Beach
The beach cities are part of south bay and you got that right. Add in Palos Verdes, Lawndale, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Gardena, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro, and Carson and take away Long Beach and now you have the South Bay(though I think many of the snobbier South Bay residents may be distressed at my including Inglewood, Lawndale, Hawthorne etc)

Quote:
South Central: Inglewood, Compton, Watts
Watts yes. The rest no.

Quote:
Central LA: Ktown, Miracle Mile
Not really

Quote:
Greater Downtown: Downtown, Chinatown, Echo Park,
This probably would distress most Echo Park residents.

Quote:
Greater Hollywood: WeHO, BH, Hollywood, E. Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Atwater
Again no.

Quote:
The Valley: Pasadena to Calabasas

Sigh. Pasadena is hell and gone from the SF Valley by about 10 miles. Pasadena is part of the San Gabriel Valley which stretches from the general western border of Pasadena down to about northern Montebello and then east out to Diamond Bar and north to Glendora/San Dimas.

So if you really want a breakdown...and literally no one in LA does this so its pretty useless, it would probably be like this:

1.) Desert - Palmdale/Lancaster
2.) Conejo Valley - Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks etc
3.)Santa Clarita Valley - SC/Valencia
4.) San Fernando Valley - Burbank to West Hills
5.) City of Los Angeles - Hollywood, Downtown, South LA, Northeast LA(inc Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, etc)
6.) South Bay - As stated above
7.)Long Beach - Probably includes Bellflower, Paramount, Signal Hill, Cerritos and Lakewood
8.)Downey, Whittier, Norwalk, La Mirada, South Gate, Huntington Park, Cudahy, Maywood, Bell, Bell Gardens, Pico Rivera, Montebello, etc - I don't even know what you call all these cities
9.)SGV - San Gabriel Valley
10.)OC- Orange County
11.) IE - Pomona out to San Bernadino/Riverside
12.) High desert(Apple Valley, Victorville, etc)

Old 03-10-2018, 09:54 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Gateway Cities - name for all those cities between LA city and Orange County.
Here is a map.
Gateway COG: Who We Are

Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Mistake #1

See mistake #1. The reason you are making this mistake is due to size, not population. LA metro is waaaay more spread out than NY

Thats not the Beach cities. Not sure what its called as SM, Venice, MDR, PDR are part of the westside. Malibu is Malibu.

The beach cities are part of south bay and you got that right. Add in Palos Verdes, Lawndale, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Gardena, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro, and Carson and take away Long Beach and now you have the South Bay(though I think many of the snobbier South Bay residents may be distressed at my including Inglewood, Lawndale, Hawthorne etc)

Watts yes. The rest no.

Not really

This probably would distress most Echo Park residents.

Again no.

Sigh. Pasadena is hell and gone from the SF Valley by about 10 miles. Pasadena is part of the San Gabriel Valley which stretches from the general western border of Pasadena down to about northern Montebello and then east out to Diamond Bar and north to Glendora/San Dimas.

So if you really want a breakdown...and literally no one in LA does this so its pretty useless, it would probably be like this:

1.) Desert - Palmdale/Lancaster
2.) Conejo Valley - Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks etc
3.)Santa Clarita Valley - SC/Valencia
4.) San Fernando Valley - Burbank to West Hills
5.) City of Los Angeles - Hollywood, Downtown, South LA, Northeast LA(inc Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, etc)
6.) South Bay - As stated above
7.)Long Beach - Probably includes Bellflower, Paramount, Signal Hill, Cerritos and Lakewood
8.)Downey, Whittier, Norwalk, La Mirada, South Gate, Huntington Park, Cudahy, Maywood, Bell, Bell Gardens, Pico Rivera, Montebello, etc - I don't even know what you call all these cities
9.)SGV - San Gabriel Valley
10.)OC- Orange County
11.) IE - Pomona out to San Bernadino/Riverside
12.) High desert(Apple Valley, Victorville, etc)
Your list is way better than the OP's, but still a little flawed, especially the City of LA category (Glendale under city of LA?) Most people would break up your city of LA category and surrounding independent cities to:
Westside: North of the 10, West of La Cienega.
South LA: South of the 10 inside city limits, except:
Harbor: Harbor City, San Pedro, Wilmington
The Valley: agree with your description of the SFV, although I'd put Glendale in here too (it is 818 after all)
Central LA (Some people call this the Eastside, but I prefer Central LA as a more specific area): North of the 10, East of La Cienega to the River.
Westchester would fall under the South Bay.
East and NE LA: Anything in city limits East of the River, and the unincorporated county area of East LA.

I realize a lot of people split the last region between NE and East, but with the exception of Eagle Rock, the main diffrence between these areas is if they are still very poor and almost completely Hispanic (East LA) vs gentrifying and more diverse (but still majority Hispanic) in NE LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles