Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 8,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving out of CA View Post
I’m a Generation X in high school from the SGV and i noticed 85% of my peers try so hard to rep LA when we live about an hour away from the city. I don’t get it. Like yeah we’re LA county but in the outskirt bedroom communities. We have more in common and in closer distance with the suburban IE than the urbanized LA basin.
I consider SGV sort of as "LA" if said to an out of stater. They don't know SGV. But being that SGV is mainly Asian/Latino, I think it's more to claim that you are a minority or among them. Basically it's claiming your roots culturally. It's saying "I'm not Idaho, get that straight".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Same reason people from Evanston say they're from Chicago. It's close enough.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 PM

334 posts, read 286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
What do you mean is not...

All of the SFV with the exception of City of San Fernando, is part of City of LA, not just LA County, but City of LA.
Yeah but the valley isn't LA to people who live in LA. It's way different there, hotter, and too far. It's the valley.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
Yeah but the valley isn't LA to people who live in LA. It's way different there, hotter, and too far. It's the valley.
Most of the people that live in the valley live in the city of L.A . Unless they live in Burbank , Glendale etc .

The San Fernando valley is home to over 1.7 million people .

It’s way different ? In what way? Too far ? From what ?

It’s not like L.A is a city where everything is centered in downtown la .

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
I graduated from high school in La Puente and was a West Covina resident at that time. Social media didn't exist back then, but whenever we would go out of town, we were from "L.A." to just about everyone. If we were in California or bumped into a fellow Californian elsewhere, then we got specific.

This isn't just an L.A. thing since this happens in most metropolitan areas. My wife and I live about 30 miles out from Downtown Atlanta, but we are from "Atlanta" to most people.

A funny thing is that even here in Georgia, transplants simply say that they are from "L.A.". Here's what typically happens:

Me: "Where are you from?"
Person: "I'm from L.A."
Me: "Really? Well, I'm originally from Inglewood, but I finished high school in West Covina"
Person: "Cool! I grew up in Cerritos, but I lived in Ontario before moving here"

I don't think it is a big deal in the end. The only time that I had anyone get upset about people saying "L.A." instead of their actual city was in college. Naturally, we were all less mature back then.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Same reason people from Evanston say they're from Chicago. It's close enough.
Exactly. I have cousins in Homewood, but everyone just calls them our "cousins in Chicago".

On another note, when I was in college, a girl that actually lived in Chicago went off on a guy from Country Club Hills simply because he told someone else that he was from Chicago.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:22 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post

I don't think it is a big deal in the end. The only time that I had anyone get upset about people saying "L.A." instead of their actual city was in college. Naturally, we were all less mature back then.
Basic training, to the Army you are from a state. The Drill Sergeant always came back with Lower Alabama when the few Angelenos would say "L.A."

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM

334 posts, read 286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Most of the people that live in the valley live in the city of L.A . Unless they live in Burbank , Glendale etc .

The San Fernando valley is home to over 1.7 million people .

It’s way different ? In what way? Too far ? From what ?

It’s not like L.A is a city where everything is centered in downtown la .
Valley is not LA. It might be for city councilmen. But the valley is way too far away to be LA.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
Valley is not LA. It might be for city councilmen. But the valley is way too far away to be LA.
Two thirds of the cities in the SFV are in Los Angeles.

The Neighborhoods of San Fernando Valley: http://sanfernandoguide.com/neighborhoods/

Map, Cities and Towns, San Fernando Valley ... - Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/maps/?fa=subject...rue&st=gallery

San Fernando Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
How about make it simple....if you are talking to someone who knows the area, rep the correct city. If you are talking to someone who has no clue, be real, LA is basically SoCal until you hit San Diego, and even then, might be easier to say LA.

Now that I no longer live in SoCal and ppl ask me where I'm from, I start with California and if they say, where in CA, I say, SoCal, if they ask where in SoCal, I say LA. I keep drilling down until they stop saying, "oh, where in.....". It's easier then going farther and farther out from a specific city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles