Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 34,235 times

Advertisements

"people from cities where downtown is the hub are insisting on doing the same in L.A. and destroying the city in the process. I'm glad there are transplant zealots who believe that downtown is the greatest place on earth. I wonder if these people who really believe this can answer why is it that hte people who grew up in this city would nb't be caught downtonw after dark"

MOST of my neighbors downtown are FROM Los Angeles. Most were born and grew up here. They are sick and tired of the lies. They want a life free of a car and the slavery to it. This obsession with "transplants" is ridiculous. You are living in fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
ummmm CESpeed, im born and raised here and i walk all over downtown. shoot i walk all over south central. and east los. i ride the bus thru tha hood. i drive thru. attend parties and functions in all parts of town and nothings ever happened to me.
but then again i also took my friends deep into imperial courts. they wanted a "ghetto tour" of LA. not the hollywood post card LA, but the way lots of us live. so i took them deep into the hood. maybe im just adventurous. [point of clarification i dont recommend people tour the projects, i jus happen to know people there that i can visit. kinda give me a pass.]

i live my life without fear and if something happens...stray bullet, car accident, freak accident, fire, cougar maulling, then it was my time, but while i am able to savor it i will enjoy my existence in a city so varied and beautiful as LA.

in closing...native here and i walk it out.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
There's a difference between fear and common sense. My uncle owned a studio on 110th and Main. Absolutely one of the worst neighborhoods in L.A. I would walk a block or two to the store when visiting. After dark? Forget it. It has nothing to do with fear, just prudence. Of course, no one could tell Steve Irwin messing with those animals was dangerous, either. He had been handling them for years. Nothing could go wrong, right? Someone forgot to tell the stingray that killed him that it was safe. I was downtown today, it's still the dirty place I've gone to all my life. I, for one, will not put myself in potential harm's way just to prove a point. Just because nothing has gone wrong, doesn't mean it can't. The odds are probably high for something to wrong and it may take years, but why tempt fate? I smell testoterone.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
You will have a better chance of getting in a car accident than walking around downtown. So does that mean that you never drive? What if there's a major earthquake? Or a tornado? Not really safe anywhere. Could walk outside one day and get struck by lightning. Sure, it may not be the safest area, but people can never live a completely safe life.

Also, you may not like a place, and that's fine. However, that doesn't automatically make i a bad place. People are different.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,219 times
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Yep, you can take the train at Pico Station north to 7th and Metro station, which is only one stop away. Exit at 7th and Figueroa (there are three exits from the subway platform), and you'll find the Wilshire Grand at the NW corner. My in-laws stayed there- really liked it.

Wilshire Grand Hotel, Los Angeles - Transportation and Airports (http://www.wilshiregrand.com/Language/help&information/transportation_airports.htm - broken link)

I don't know of any to avoid but I've only been to the Wilshire Grand, the Biltmore, Bonaventure, Standard, Hotel Figueroa, HOliday Inn on Fig so that is all I'm gonna comment on. Never a problem, and like I said before, Fire Station 28 is across the street from the hotel.

Like some other posters have mentioned, I think you are fine traversing north up Fig to the Bonaventure, or dropping down to the City Bank Plaza (formerly the ARCO towers) at Fifth & Flower. They have a branch of the Weiland Brewery underground that is open fairly late.

City National Bank Tower - ARCO Plaza - Los Angeles
Weiland Brewery Underground | Los Angeles

You'll be across from the library, which is a beautiful building, open 'til 8pm most nights. CHeck out the rotunda for sure, if you like architecture.

Los Angeles Public Library | Central Library

Last, but not least, I highly recommend the Flyaway service from LAX to Union Station, downtown. That connects directly to the red line, which takes you to 7th/Fig. I'll be flying to Boston on April 4 and all I do is take the Gold Line train to Union; pay them $8 round trip, have them check my baggage, then off to LAX. I'll be doing the same in reverse when I return. It might make for a nice alternative to the lack of shuttle service.

LAWA - FlyAway

Hope that helps.
Correction: I misspoke- you can only check baggage at Van Nuys and Westwood Flyaway bus departures. The Flyaway at Union will take you there, but you gotta check it at LAX. Sorry about that.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Nick... have you taken the Flyaway before? If so, how was it? I was going to take it last time I was there, but I had some spare time. I figured the Rail would be a good way to see more of the city. When I go back though, the Flyaway seems like it would be easier.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Nick... have you taken the Flyaway before? If so, how was it? I was going to take it last time I was there, but I had some spare time. I figured the Rail would be a good way to see more of the city. When I go back though, the Flyaway seems like it would be easier.
I've taken it three times, I believe. It only goes to and from Union to LAX, not a tremendously exciting trip, but going over the high ramp from the 105 East to the 110N can be pretty awesome, especially on a clear day. The route utilizes the 105 and 110 bus lanes and is (usually) pretty quick. It's a nice, plush bus and the route is 24/7. I think it runs every hour in the wee hours, but every half the rest of the time. You'd have to check their site to be sure about that one.

For rail lines, I like the Gold Line for an easygoing trip. Alot of people take it on the weekends because it goes through So Pas and Pasadena, not to mention Chinatown and downtown. The $5 pass is great- you can disembark/embark as often as you like. There are so many things to see just walking around most of the stations. It's nice to just kick back.

I'm flying out to Boston in April and plan on taking rail everywhere. I'm too cheap to rent a car! Anyhow, I figure I'm safer on the rails than behind the wheel since I'm totally unfamiliar with driving there. I drive here- why drive on my vacation?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I've taken the Flyaway from Van Nuys. I think it is the cheapest way to go if you have to park a car. The flyaway starts at Terminal 1 and ends up at the last terminal 7 or 8 or something (United?). Sometimes the buses are full by terminal 8. It might help to walk north across the parking lots to Terminal 1 to get a seat.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 34,235 times
The FlyAway from Union Station is amazing. It gets you to terminal 1 in 25 minutes. And yes, you can check bags at Union Station, but you have to be there 3 hours before your flight.

I take it once or twice a month. I never fly out of Burbank anymore because if it. No car needed.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Green View Post
The FlyAway from Union Station is amazing. It gets you to terminal 1 in 25 minutes. And yes, you can check bags at Union Station, but you have to be there 3 hours before your flight.

I take it once or twice a month. I never fly out of Burbank anymore because if it. No car needed.
It really is great. I think MTA/LAX should agressively push it. I have noticed that the number of commuters using it has risen sharply. Now I have no LAX stress, like most everyone else seems to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles