Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No it is reality. No suggestion made yet has made any real sense, just feel good proposals with no likelihood of working.
Up-zone residential areas and pour more money into mass transit. That's relatively simple and realistic

With prices where they are and still climbing, the free market has incentive to build

Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Up-zone residential areas and pour more money into mass transit. That's relatively simple and realistic

With prices where they are and still climbing, the free market has incentive to build
Where does the money come from to build mass transit?? Your pocket? Is it deep and full enough to pay for it? The Free Market will build as it can and keeping the price high to make money and will not overbuild to drop prices and profit. The backyard units are for family who can't afford rent or poor who can barely afford a garage apt.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:15 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
OP...whatever works. L.A.'s RE is at a premium.

In Japan they have little cocoons to sleep in. A little house is a palace compared to sleeping in a tube in Japan.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Where does the money come from to build mass transit?? Your pocket? Is it deep and full enough to pay for it? The Free Market will build as it can and keeping the price high to make money and will not overbuild to drop prices and profit. The backyard units are for family who can't afford rent or poor who can barely afford a garage apt.
One, taxes along with maybe trimming the budget in one or two other areas

Two, strawman argument

Three, no one can predict when they've overbuilt. Building stops when it's no longer profitable. You act like a developer will just build one unit and call it quits. Doesn't work that way

Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Until LA will accept the idea of alternative housing like yurts, tiny houses. Storage container housing. He'll even log cabins this is just a lot of talk and a push for developers contractors city workers permit fees. I could go on and on.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 PM

46 posts, read 31,700 times
The bigger apartments did not fare so well in the Oakland and Northridge quakes.
The earthquakes should take care of this problem in a decade or so.

I was told growing up "Never live higher than you can jump' and it is a good rule to live by.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:44 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post
The bigger apartments did not fare so well in the Oakland and Northridge quakes.
The earthquakes should take care of this problem in a decade or so.

I was told growing up "Never live higher than you can jump' and it is a good rule to live by.
Good thing wr have structural engineers developing quake ready budings..

Old 04-18-2018, 06:28 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I have to confess that I didn't read this entire thread, but honestly, our esteemed mayor is nuts. If this idea gets off the ground it will pit neighbors against each other. Is the City of L.A. going to intervene when the paranoid schizophrenic living in the tiny house goes off his meds and starts tearing his clothes off in my back yard? I'm a renter, so this exact scenario would never happen to me, but I know plenty of homeowners! And yes, I'm talking about the worst case scenario, but I don't have much faith in the government when it comes to even building a road, let alone taking care of the homeless with this kind of grand plan.

There are a lot of new apartments being built right now, many of them in the Valley. I'm sure the intent is for the tenants to live close to where they work, but we know how that goes. If I'm living in Woodland Hills, and I can make $10,000 more per year by working in Downtown L.A., guess what happens? I'm either taking the Orange line bus and Red line subway to work every day, or I'm adding my car to the already choked congestion on the 101 Fwy. Since the Valley hasn't reaped many benefits from mass transit, neither option is great.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think that unchecked growth is good. That's what cancer cells do, right?

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-18-2018 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have to confess that I didn't read this entire thread, but honestly, our esteemed mayor is nuts. If this idea gets off the ground it will pit neighbors against each other. Is the City of L.A. going to intervene when the paranoid schizophrenic living in the tiny house goes off his meds and starts tearing his clothes off in my back yard? I'm a renter, so this exact scenario would never happen to me, but I know plenty of homeowners! And yes, I'm talking about the worst case scenario, but I don't have much faith in the government when it comes to even building a road, let alone taking care of the homeless with this kind of grand plan.

There are a lot of new apartments being built right now, many of them in the Valley. I'm sure the intent is for the tenants to live close to where they work, but we know how that goes. If I'm living in Woodland Hills, and I can make $10,000 more per year by working in Downtown L.A., guess what happens? I'm either taking the Orange line bus and Red line subway to work every day, or I'm adding my car to the already choked congestion on the 101 Fwy. Since the Valley hasn't reaped many benefits from mass transit, neither option is great.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think that unchecked growth is good. That's what cancer cells do, right?
Unchecked growth is not good. And neither is forceful stagnation. Which i shwst has been happening to L.A. for decades. It’s like keeping a puppy collar on a dog letting the dog grow until the collar embeds itself.

As for this plan from the mayor. Seems tacky as hell. I dont like it either.
I don’t entirely blame the mayor for our problems. This was decades in the making and i dont expect it all fixed under one mayor.

Problem is, we know what we gotta fix. But the execution is either retarded or we spend too much time talking or put too much politics into it.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Unchecked growth is not good.
I agree. We need to spend decades catching up with our current population level by expanding our freeways, adding subways, and whatever else can be done. Until then, our population should not increase by one single person of driving age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles