Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
lol true. Illegals are a different war entirely. I guess it would make a small dent but really isn't the core issue lol.
It's a problem but it's a scapegoat for every problem we have.

This issue is self inflicted by the way we designed our cities..
Small dent?

L.A., Orange counties are home to 1 million immigrants who are in the country illegally, analysis shows

Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What about making some areas legal for small homes, and in the space which fits the giant yard, and the giant house, with three stories of course, for a couple and their two children ( who "must' have all that space) make some areas for small and even tiny houses. On that one space, with the yard remaining for everyone, build a group of small houses, and when they are sold they are sold to individual owners. They own the yard together with others on the property. They can put a pool in jointly if they wish, anything a single owner could, but it will be jointly paid for ane owned.

I used to watch home and garden shows on cable, but recently have just had my fill of idiots who just 'must' have a huge house, using vast resources like heating empty rooms, and wasting energy in the process. They 'must' have all this space to be like all the other 'status only matters' types.

We need a LOT more smaller homes, like a two bed, one bath one (or 1 and a half bath) on that or another basis, providing all the necessities, and maybe even a third bedroom/other uses for another bedroom. But while they'll hold a full size queen/king sized bed and dresser, et all, they aren't huge. Most of us boomers grew up in houses much like that and now the kids are remodeling them to their specifications, but they can't make them bigger.

We're considering what to do when my son is reasonably sure he isn't going to be moving for a job, and when I'm ready be closer. My current house is 720 sf and I don't use all the space. I don't mind the idea of living near, but not IN their house. Give me a small yard and a corner that's mine. No 'apartment' style 'senior' housing. Can't stand apartments. A house for them and a small one for me is our preference. I think this would serve *many* families. And living IN the same house is never ever going to be the same.

I think Los Angeles is very forward looking in this plan and if the we gotta have our mansion and no serfs crowd are unhappy, its too bad. It IS ultimately going to come to something like that, or multiunit buildings next to your house. And when the boomers end up needing to be close to family, it will more than pay off.

LA, with the quakes, does not need a lot of tall buildings to house people, but smaller ones grouped where all the extras get shared.

My grandmother lived in a small house about the size of mine most of her life. Mom and Dad bought a somwhat bigger one in the Valley, but it would be denounced as 'too small' by the ones trying to figure out how to afford a home. The house I had with my ex wasn't much bigger. And I wouldn't go bigger than the one I have now, and use the multifunction tricks which make them practical. And its nice not to have a lot of space you hardly use but still needs cleaned up. And it would be great to have family near, where you could share a meal and visit but still go home. Going to YOUR OWN space is very important.

Doesn't matter how big it is.

This sort of housing will *become* something people want as boomers retire and don't want to be alone and also don't want to be distant from family, and maybe value will be redefined to mirror needs over greed.
I like the way you think but most house lots in LA are small. Not like Oklahoma at all. LA needs to start thinking outside the typical addition house box standard blah blan. I don't think that'll happen anytime soon though

Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
What else is new.😯

Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Honestly LA is going to have to rezone more of the city for taller apartment buildings. They can start out with underutilized industrial areas and alone major streets like Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles