U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM

143 posts, read 85,433 times

Advertisements

I may be offered a job in Koreatown in the near future. I currently live in Wilmington, which is in the South Bay area of L.A., near San Pedro and Harbor City. If I'm offered the job, I will have to commute, an hour drive (if not more) there and back each day. I'd love to hear from anyone else on these forums who works in or near Koreatown and where they live. I'd prefer no commute at all, but I can't think of anywhere I could live near Koreatown where 1) I'd feel comfortable/safe; and 2) I could afford the rent. My hope is to perhaps find a location with no more than a 20-30 minute commute to and from K-town that also has affordable rent, but I'm not sure where that would be.

Affordable rent to me = $950/month or less. I know that seems like asking a lot in L.A., but I've managed it since I moved to L.A. in 1997, starting in a huge 1-bedroom in the San Fernando Valley for $650/month (back when the economy was better and COLA was more affordable). I've lived in the South Bay since 2007 to be closer to work and have lived in 2 different 1-bedroom places for $900/month (less when I started). I was in a nicer South Bay neighborhood until 2012 when high rents (and horrible neighbors) pushed me out. I ended up in a less desirable/safe, lower socio-economic neighborhood, but with more affordable rent and other amenities I'm happy with.

In years past, I've done the L.A. work commute: 3 years commuting from the Valley to west L.A., and another nearly 3 years commuting from the Valley to downtown L.A. I'd prefer not to repeat that scenario again, but the point is, it's something I've done before and could get used to for a while if necessary.

I'm also comfortable living in slightly lower socio-economic neighborhoods, as I do now, for more affordable rent and amenities. I know that's not the 'hip' thing to do in L.A., but I stopped caring about that long ago. I just want to be comfortable and not spend 2 hours (or more) per day on L.A. freeways if I can help it.

So, City Data, what are your suggestions? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,317,619 times
Why don't you live in Koreatown? You can still find apts cheaper there than many of the surrounding communities. You would be close to shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, nightlife, transportation. That's what I would do.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM

121 posts, read 106,051 times
Koreatown or East Hollywood makes the most sense in terms of location and affordability. Although, I'm not sure you're going to find an apartment for $950 or less. Have you considered roommates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or