Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 PM

92 posts, read 164,729 times

Advertisements

I joined this site back in 2014 after my first visit to LA! Since then I have been back and forth with myself on whether or not I should move here. After turning 30 earlier this year I finally did it. Searching for a place is hard especially doing it virtually I spent hours on apartment.com and etc. Finding something in my budget in a safe area with decent parking ,and not too far away from everything was a CHALLENGE! Coming from a gated community 2br 2bath - pool, fitness center, community center with apple products, game room and so much more for $1669 I had to let go of all expectations moving to LA. Once i did that the search became better. But I do recommend coming to LA first to look around before you commit to a place. i was not able to do that which was VERY RISKY. I found a place near East Hollywood near Little Armenia upcoming area, I can see the Griffith Observatory when I work out on the street. The leasing agent Face-timed me, spent video and did a lot for me since I was not able to come see the place in person. I felt comfortable enough to move forward and sign the lease after a few weeks of videos, questions, and concerns back and forth. I transported my car from Maryland loaded the trunk up with stuff and placed some stuff in the backseat for $1125, sold my furniture not worth paying a moving company (i has IKEA stuff), and I shipped whatever else didn't fit in my car spent about $300 through USPS. So I came to LA starting over completely. I arrived here on Monday there were so issues with the plumbing in the pace but the leasing company took quick action. My place is cool but I do wish I took a plane to LA and looked around before I signed my lease. I see a lot more places now that I'm actually here. Traffic is traffic i expected that no cant complain but other then that I'm glad i moved it can be very stressful moving cross country but good planning and money makes things better . You have 21 days to get an out of state vehicle registered and the DMV is suppppppeeeerrr busy so here's a tip. If you are an AAA member they offer DMV services so I skipped the line and got my tags and title work done and its FREE if you are an AAA member. It cost me $293 for tags they have to be renewed every year Maryland its every two. Smog check and certificate $45. Over all i'm glad I'm here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Good luck. I lived my whole life on the east coast where everything is so close together. Meanwhile, you can go 60 miles here and not leave the county.

Hopefully you dont like to walk or bike places here, because thats tantamount to asking to die. I moved here and bought a bike being idealistic that the stereotypes arent true. They are. You are literally asking to die if you dont drive EVERYWHERE.

Hopefully you have AC too cuz it was 90 degrees on thanksgiving day last year. Another extremely rude awakening for this east coaster.

But on the bright side, crime is MUCH lower here. Sheltered LA folk will complain because theyre naive and have never seen real cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, and NYC. (Although major caveat here is the homeless shooting up heroin on every corner. At least the homeless on the east coast are just alcoholics.)

Also this place is WHITE. Having lived in the south and DC, its strange to live in such a white place. But LA is mostly midwestern people that have no clue what racial diversity is.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times
“Also this place is WHITE. Having lived in the south and DC, its strange to live in such a white place. But LA is mostly midwestern people that have no clue what racial diversity is“

You also need to explain this one. The stats simply don’t bear it out.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 PM

158 posts, read 144,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Good luck. I lived my whole life on the east coast where everything is so close together. Meanwhile, you can go 60 miles here and not leave the county.

Hopefully you dont like to walk or bike places here, because thats tantamount to asking to die. I moved here and bought a bike being idealistic that the stereotypes arent true. They are. You are literally asking to die if you dont drive EVERYWHERE.

Hopefully you have AC too cuz it was 90 degrees on thanksgiving day last year. Another extremely rude awakening for this east coaster.

But on the bright side, crime is MUCH lower here. Sheltered LA folk will complain because theyre naive and have never seen real cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, and NYC. (Although major caveat here is the homeless shooting up heroin on every corner. At least the homeless on the east coast are just alcoholics.)

Also this place is WHITE. Having lived in the south and DC, its strange to live in such a white place. But LA is mostly midwestern people that have no clue what racial diversity is.
I was surprised to read your comment about how white LA is. I don’t live there but I’ve been there many times and always found it to be a quite diverse population. I believe white people only make up about 28% of the LA population, so they are not even the majority there. Perhaps you just live in a neighborhood that is predominantly white?

Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:

Have no idea what you are talking about. It's like you don't even live here. Perhaps part of the problem is you live in West Hollywood...

Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:

You had me going until the last paragraph

Old 03-27-2018, 09:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
LA is definitely not white. Whites are a minority here as it's well over 50% Hispanic. I would estimate Asians are closing in on white population if you count the illegals.

Also LA has some of the best road biking in the country. There are tens of thousands of serious cyclists and pros here. Go out to Montrose or Angeles Crest on the weekend and you'll see group rides with 100+ people.

I'd wait till you're here for more then a week before handing out your opinion on the internet

Old 03-28-2018, 01:31 AM

334 posts, read 285,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
LA is definitely not white. Whites are a minority here as it's well over 50% Hispanic. I would estimate Asians are closing in on white population if you count the illegals.

Also LA has some of the best road biking in the country. There are tens of thousands of serious cyclists and pros here. Go out to Montrose or Angeles Crest on the weekend and you'll see group rides with 100+ people.

I'd wait till you're here for more then a week before handing out your opinion on the internet
How can Asians be illegal?

Asians have been walking to America for thousands of years.

An American has had an Asian face since the beginning of human civilization.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
How can Asians be illegal?

Asians have been walking to America for thousands of years.

An American has had an Asian face since the beginning of human civilization.
...ok

Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

Can't quite understand your thinking on a few issues: 1-the place being white? Are you serious, we lived 7 years in Alexandria Va and L.A. is not whiter or darker than much of the east coast. 2-AC, we would never have survived in the mid Atlantic without AC. One time Ours went out in early June. Before we could get it repaired which was about 2 days I thought we would have to move to a hotel for a few nights. I remember first moving to VA and not thinking I could even do any housework after 9am because of the humidity. Yes, temps can be warmer, much warmer in So Ca but there is little humidity. We found the summers, both in L.A and DC pretty damn hot sometimes. 3-homeless are homeless, not just alcoholics but suffering from a lot of things including drugs. Where did you get the idea they are just alcoholics? sorry to disagree with you on so many issues but I just don't see it the same way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles