U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,985,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastToWest9457 View Post
Thanks everyone, really appreciate everyone's input!

On a different note, since city-data puts pretty strict time limits on editing, I noticed a small oversight that I realize is pretty problematic. I wrote: "I'm particularly fond of the President...I'm much more of a Mitt Romney-style Republican". As the second part of the sentence indicates, of course I meant to write, that I'm NOT particularly fond of the President. That is, I'm NOT a MAGA guy in any way (not that I would expect to find much of that in LA anyway), politically, I'm a polite, low-tax/low-spending "white-collar Republican" kind of guy, I just put that in because I don't want to end up in a neighborhood where I'll be bothered for holding the "wrong" opinions.
Interesting thing about Santa Monica politically. It's overall very Democrat and left like most of LA county, but there's a lot of moderate conservatives in the north end. Also, many transplants who moved for the higher end jobs have changed the political demographics a little bit. there's hardly any Trump supporters, but calling yourself a moderate or centrist won't really be an issue (while it might be one in Venice or West Hollywood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:04 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,994,454 times
Quote:
So I'm looking for a neighborhood popular with similar demographics: Young professionals in their early-mid 20s who are just starting their career. Neighborhood walkability is a plus, as I enjoy early-evening runs.

Umm...I live in MDR. I love me some MDR. Pleased as punch to have chosen it.

That....is not MDR. At all.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:18 PM

309 posts, read 193,042 times
Go with Santa Monica, be as close to Main Street as possible for a social life. You will have a 30 min commute to work...not bad for LA.

Good luck with the politics out here, lol

Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 PM

6,363 posts, read 5,454,212 times
Santa Monica. But, given your social profile, you're sure you don't want to look for a job in Orange County or San Diego?

Romney 2020!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 PM

7 posts, read 5,942 times
Culturally, it's certainly possible that San Diego or Orange County would be better fits, but... I've already accepted a job in Los Angeles, what's more it's pretty much my dream job (coming out of college) so I'm not willing to give that up to embark on a job search, and my company doesn't have offices in OC or SD. That said, I would not be opposed to moving to San Diego or Orange County in the future! And I certainly appreciate the tip.

I should add that politics isn't a huge part of my life (it's been more of a social outlet in college), but I still put it in there because I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood with a strong SJW culture where I'll get weird looks for preferring polo shirts over baja hoodies and steak over alphalpha sprouts and mashed yeast.

On your second point, yeah well, man can dream *sigh*.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 AM

89 posts, read 37,665 times
No offense to the OP but transplants like these are turning LA into another bland culture-less wasteland.

Me no likey

Old 05-03-2018, 10:46 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,994,454 times
Quote:
Culturally, it's certainly possible that San Diego or Orange County would be better fits, but... I've already accepted a job in Los Angeles, what's more it's pretty much my dream job (coming out of college) so I'm not willing to give that up to embark on a job search, and my company doesn't have offices in OC or SD. That said, I would not be opposed to moving to San Diego or Orange County in the future! And I certainly appreciate the tip.

I should add that politics isn't a huge part of my life (it's been more of a social outlet in college), but I still put it in there because I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood with a strong SJW culture where I'll get weird looks for preferring polo shirts over baja hoodies and steak over alphalpha sprouts and mashed yeast.

So one piece of insight I can provide to you is to not be worried about the political climate on an interpersonal level. My household is very centrist, and we had strong concerns about what we were stepping into because of how utterly bat**** crazy progressive the state as a whole is - something we're more sensitive about than usual due to how in-your-face the place we moved from was.

Yes, the overarching political environment in the area is as such to where you find yourself shaking your head and grumbling under your breath at how out of whack the government's priorities are and how utterly wasteful they are with our tax dollars. But it turns out just due to the sheer population of the area that it's a relatively simple affair to develop a social circle that's not caught up in the identity politics and crazy progressive utopia nonsense. And, certainly, there are aggro-activist situations (what's going on in the Boyle district right now, there have been some freeway blockages so people can get together and cry in a road, etc.), but you can typically avoid it.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
So one piece of insight I can provide to you is to not be worried about the political climate on an interpersonal level. My household is very centrist, and we had strong concerns about what we were stepping into because of how utterly bat**** crazy progressive the state as a whole is - something we're more sensitive about than usual due to how in-your-face the place we moved from was.

Yes, the overarching political environment in the area is as such to where you find yourself shaking your head and grumbling under your breath at how out of whack the government's priorities are and how utterly wasteful they are with our tax dollars. But it turns out just due to the sheer population of the area that it's a relatively simple affair to develop a social circle that's not caught up in the identity politics and crazy progressive utopia nonsense. And, certainly, there are aggro-activist situations (what's going on in the Boyle district right now, there have been some freeway blockages so people can get together and cry in a road, etc.), but you can typically avoid it.
Thank you Xanathos! That was a really helpful response! As a fellow centrist (well, centre-right) I had similar concerns as I'm sure you know what many college campuses are like today (a lot of in-your-face activism), so I didn't want to end up in an environment where I wouldn't be able to have a social circle because I'm not up in arms about whatever the latest cause du jour happens to be.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir2 View Post
No offense to the OP but transplants like these are turning LA into another bland culture-less wasteland.

Me no likey

Saying "no offense" and then making a snide remark doesn't make the remark in and of itself any less annoying. What exactly did you think you contributed to this discussion? It's not as you're going to prevent me from moving.

On a different note, it's pretty amusing to see you act as if there hasn't been a white-collar culture in LA for, oh I don't know, the past 120 years.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM

6,363 posts, read 5,454,212 times
Quote:

You'll be fine in LA. You have a good attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles