U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
Out of all of the disappointments about Los Angeles that I tell my friends, Hollywood being a dump is always the biggest.
I was so excited getting off a subway train, heading upstairs to Hollywood Boulevard, only to be asked for money three times before I even got to the sidewalk.

Hollywood is overrated, overpopulated, and overdone by all who inhabit it from the homeless kids that hang out by the 101 and have tent camps next to the Tommys to the same aged kids that live in the ridiculously overpriced apartments overlooking their camps to the perverted old men who have made LA their retirement haven simply to prey on young desperate flesh.
So Hollywood is the new Thailand ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 08:23 PM

262 posts, read 124,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So Hollywood is the new Thailand ?

I don't know. I haven't been to Thailand. I have heard a few references from perverts such as T-Bag on Prison Break, but otherwise am lost on the Thai and their culture.

With that being said, if Thailand is an overrated dump full of losers from all walks of life, then yes, maybe Hollywood would qualify for that title.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM

1,361 posts, read 1,109,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
A nicer table is built and you bail on said table and tell the outsiders while pointing on the scraps “ok you can sit here”. And you move and take chef aswell.
Who built the nicer table? Who hired the chef in the first place?

Whites build a nice neighborhood. Others come in, even as they hate on whitey for being "racist."

Tired of being hated, tired of rising crime, failing schools, and family dysfunction, whites leave and build a new neighborhood.

It's not whites (or Asians) fault that some other races can't maintain a neighborhood that was nice when they got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
So in the end it’s “fine you can live in this hood, or what’s left of it. We’ll just take the buisiness wih us? Cool?
Hood? It wasn't a hood while it was white.

And what's wrong with whites taking their business with them? People like to work close to home. If whites move, naturally, they'll take everything that's theirs with them.

Nobody's stopping any of the newcomers from starting their own businesses. From maintaining the streets, the lawns, the schools, and the infrastructure, all of which was good when they arrived.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 PM

1,390 posts, read 524,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
Out of all of the disappointments about Los Angeles that I tell my friends, Hollywood being a dump is always the biggest.
I was so excited getting off a subway train, heading upstairs to Hollywood Boulevard, only to be asked for money three times before I even got to the sidewalk.

Hollywood is overrated, overpopulated, and overdone by all who inhabit it from the homeless kids that hang out by the 101 and have tent camps next to the Tommys to the same aged kids that live in the ridiculously overpriced apartments overlooking their camps to the perverted old men who have made LA their retirement haven simply to prey on young desperate flesh.

Hollywood is 50% tourists 30% guys trying to rip off tourists, 20% derelicts who'd kill ya for a nickel.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:07 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,309,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Yeah white flight. Got a problem with it?
White flight? Hollywood has always been mostly white even during it's worse times. Still majority white in 2018. Is Hollywood really all that sketchy and gritty?

Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
White flight? Hollywood has always been mostly white even during it's worse times. Still majority white in 2018. Is Hollywood really all that sketchy and gritty?
It varies . There’s a pretty high police presence it seems versus other areas , probably because of all the tourists . It gets more press when someone is attacked or killed in Hollywood versus some parts of the city .

East Hollywood is pretty gritty , streets are pretty dirty , lot’s of dumping of stuff , homeless , graffiti .
But seems a matter of time before it changes and I know there are plans for some big development projects .

Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 PM

359 posts, read 424,161 times
Trust and believe Hollywood was a MESS back in the 90's. You think it's sketchy now? It's actually quite nice by comparison and incredibly expensive. The revitalization of the neighborhood now fetches insanely expensive rents even near Western Avenue which was a disaster during the 90's and the St. Francis Hotel/PeepShows.

Any long time Angeleno will tell you it's a vast improvement that started in the early 2000's when the Kodak Theatre (now Dolby) was developed.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Trust and believe Hollywood was a MESS back in the 90's. You think it's sketchy now? It's actually quite nice by comparison and incredibly expensive. The revitalization of the neighborhood now fetches insanely expensive rents even near Western Avenue which was a disaster during the 90's and the St. Francis Hotel/PeepShows.

Any long time Angeleno will tell you it's a vast improvement that started in the early 2000's when the Kodak Theatre (now Dolby) was developed.
yeah the Hollywood /highland development was a turning point . It encouraged more people to invest in the area too.

This recent article is pretty interesting showing the developments even in the past 5-10 years .

https://la.curbed.com/2018/5/25/1739...hen-now-photos

Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM

34,702 posts, read 17,885,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post

It has spilled over elsewhere. I used to work on Melrose, and you could watch the line between sketchy and trendy moving eastward pretty much in real time. The sketchy car repair places, the weird stores selling dialing cards and money transfers, the store that brazenly had a sign out offering insurance & registration services - "No ID, No License? No Problem!" - they're all condos and fancy bakeries and trendy restaurants.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:39 PM

95 posts, read 54,561 times
Hollywood is considerably more Boujie and upscale than it was in the 1990's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles