Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times

Advertisements

My opinion is years of neglect is the reason why places like Hollywood and Downtown L.A were basically left as it is for years,but give it time and you'll see the positive changes to these places since their is so much potential...In other words these areas will remain very desirable and the transformation today is already an improvement compared to before.

I read in an article in the New York Times about a 3 Billion Dollar makeover that's gonna be spent on Long Beach....All this is just the tip of the iceberg and as time goes by your gonna see the positive transformation throughout the L.A Region.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/b...velopment.html

Just look at the Google Maps of The L.A Region and you'll see why this area is very desirable to live in and to invest in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Gentrification can be good and bad. There’s no way to please everyone. And the gentrifiers are not all white. It’s an unfair misconception. Depending on how Gentrification happens. Its usually best if both sides can meet halfway. But the problem is when people cant live in their neighborhood anymore. And all the authentic spots are commercialized.
Yeah you are right they aren’t all white , but the media makes it out that all the people moving into these areas are all “white hipsters “.

Only way to guarantee that you can stay in your neighborhood forever is to buy . Throughout the history of America and the world people have moved and migrated for different opportunities . Yeah it sucks if you want to stay in the neighborhood you grew up in .

This happens to everyone including whites and people that don’t live in Boyle Heights , echo park etc . Example Middle class family ( could be any ethnicity ) bought a house on the Westside years ago when prices were somewhat normal then they skyrocketed to over $1 million and then their kids can’t live in that area because housing prices are more than they can afford .

Old 04-25-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
My opinion is years of neglect is the reason why places like Hollywood and Downtown L.A were basically left as it is for years,but give it time and you'll see the positive changes to these places since their is so much potential...In other words these areas will remain very desirable and the transformation today is already an improvement compared to before.

I read in an article in the New York Times about a 3 Billion Dollar makeover that's gonna be spent on Long Beach....All this is just the tip of the iceberg and as time goes by your gonna see the positive transformation throughout the L.A Region.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/b...velopment.html

Just look at the Google Maps of The L.A Region and you'll see why this area is very desirable to live in and to invest in
Yeah there have been new developments new businesses etc but the sad part is the streets still being so filthy.
Homeless tents taking up the whole sidewalk etc.

We will see what happens . Maybe if enough people that paid a fortune for their new condos complain to the city things will change.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 AM

121 posts, read 155,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah “white flight” is the reason . White people are to blame for everything right ?
I feel for you. It really seems like you've had such a hard life.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Gentrification can be good and bad. There’s no way to please everyone. And the gentrifiers are not all white. It’s an unfair misconception. Depending on how Gentrification happens. Its usually best if both sides can meet halfway. But the problem is when people cant live in their neighborhood anymore. And all the authentic spots are commercialized.
How does that differ from when White people move away because they cannot live in their neighborhood anymore?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
What reasons led Hollywood to become so grungy and sketchy? Given it's glorious past, you'd think it'd have experienced some sort of resurgence way sooner than it has. I know now that luxury condos have been going up left and right, but still, it's not nearly as nice as other parts of LA. It's dense, walk-able, connected well via transit and has the bones to really be a chic urban destination. Is there a reason why it has remained so rough around the edges?
Because it's dense, walk-able and connected well via transit?

Regardless of the expensive housing and high end apartments, it's still also a desirable place to loiter and also the last stop for those with nowhere else to go.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
I visited Hollywood a few years back, it really was not that bad. They did some social issues with homeless and drug addicts and I would agree it is not a great neighborhood to raise a family but it never felt really that dangerous. It seemed like a neighborhood in LA for recent immigrants to LA from Mexico and Asian countries and for single people. It is still pretty close drive to West LA and Beverly Hills and the glamour of the real Hollywood movie industry scene and it had some nice condos and high rise apartments. It is a mixed part of town, the biggest downsize was the noise and vendors selling annoying stuff not even the homeless at least for me.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I visited Hollywood a few years back, it really was not that bad. They did some social issues with homeless and drug addicts and I would agree it is not a great neighborhood to raise a family but it never felt really that dangerous. It seemed like a neighborhood in LA for recent immigrants to LA from Mexico and Asian countries and for single people. It is still pretty close drive to West LA and Beverly Hills and the glamour of the real Hollywood movie industry scene and it had some nice condos and high rise apartments. It is a mixed part of town, the biggest downsize was the noise and vendors selling annoying stuff not even the homeless at least for me.
It is most likely worse these days versus a few years ago .

Homeless population has gone up 75 percent in 6 years in L.A .

Where there big tents taking up the whole sidewalk last time you visited ? It just seems weird that with all the new development going on things still look so dirty and run down . But I guess a lot of people don’t care .
Same in Downtown L.A too . Lots of new buildings and nice bars and restaurants yet you got crazy homeless on the streets and dirty streets .

Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
How does that differ from when White people move away because they cannot live in their neighborhood anymore?
That's white flight, which is a bad thing and whites need to stop doing that because it hurts communities of color and the tax base they rely on.

So to recap:

Whites moving in: bad
Whites moving out: bad

Old 05-30-2018, 08:10 PM

262 posts, read 202,399 times
Out of all of the disappointments about Los Angeles that I tell my friends, Hollywood being a dump is always the biggest.
I was so excited getting off a subway train, heading upstairs to Hollywood Boulevard, only to be asked for money three times before I even got to the sidewalk.

Hollywood is overrated, overpopulated, and overdone by all who inhabit it from the homeless kids that hang out by the 101 and have tent camps next to the Tommys to the same aged kids that live in the ridiculously overpriced apartments overlooking their camps to the perverted old men who have made LA their retirement haven simply to prey on young desperate flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles