Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 AM

121 posts, read 155,014 times

Advertisements

[quote=GO JACKETS;52016495]The murder and property crime rates in LA are lower than Phoenix.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

People often choose to ignore statistics and base their decisions/beliefs on emotion and atypical personal experiences.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
People often choose to ignore statistics and base their decisions/beliefs on emotion and atypical personal experiences.
Imagine that we're all not engineers and base our views on what we see when we walk out the door I feel a lot safer walking down the street in Az then LA. Prop 47 is scewing our statistics and a apathetic LAPD where your lucky if they show up half the time.

Last edited by Finper; 05-27-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 12:56 PM

307 posts, read 267,876 times
My wife wants to move to LA for reasons that make zero sense to me. She believes it is worth living in a 700 sq ft. 1950s musty mobile home for the following attractions:

1) She said the landscape reminds her of her native Greece, and that LA is the best America has to offer.

2) She is a fan of reality TV and celebrity fanfare

3) She loves to people watch fake blondes with lip injections and fake boobs eating salads without dressing.

There's an enigmatic draw for her to LA and she can't be convinced otherwise.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 PM

121 posts, read 155,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
My wife wants to move to LA for reasons that make zero sense to me. She believes it is worth living in a 700 sq ft. 1950s musty mobile home for the following attractions:

1) She said the landscape reminds her of her native Greece, and that LA is the best America has to offer.

3) She loves to people watch fake blondes with lip injections and fake boobs eating salads without dressing.

This is the worst list of reasons for moving to LA I've ever seen. She sounds lovely.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:41 PM

262 posts, read 202,352 times
I had to leave. I didn't plan properly and I almost ended up homeless. It's very easy to do there.

But WOW did I have some of the greatest experiences of my life in Los Angeles??!?!?

It's definitely an emotional appeal for many if not most

Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswontsp View Post

1) The landscape is that great, I have to agree with her. The light in the evening, its magical.

2) In our first year of moving here, we got on some TV shows and met reality and some other mid level celebs. Very fun for my wife anyway...

3) You can do this in other cities, but people watching here can be fun if you are in the right area.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:15 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
I like LA to visit but I would move to LA if somebody gave me free housing. Not paying those outrageous housing costs. I am Swedish I am too frugal.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,828 times
If you are a fan of human ecosystems and appreciate rich cultural diversity in a sunny setting, Los Angeles is a great experience, warts and all.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
That's a fairly narrow-minded way of thinking.

I'm sure there are some people that are jealous, but there are people who are put off by the notion that you're jealous, settling, miserable if you don't live in X, Y, or Z city.

I've seen 'em all and been to 'em all, and to me, there is no perfect city. LA/So Cal wins in terms of geography, and the climate that come along with that. That is important, but more important to some than others.
LA to me is much more than weather and geography. It's about it's people, the cultural amenities, the food, the music scene, the history, the black history, the architecture, the shopping, the hiking, the professional sports and so on. And all these things wrapped up in great weather makes it even more special.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Imagine that we're all not engineers and base our views on what we see when we walk out the door I feel a lot safer walking down the street in Az then LA. Prop 47 is scewing our statistics and a apathetic LAPD where your lucky if they show up half the time.
Well of course you would, Phoenix is already in the triple digits. 105 on Saturday, than up to 108 and 109...sounds lovely.

No one is on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles