Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 12:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times

Advertisements

So true...From L.A you are closer to many other weekend destinations as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Another thing I don’t think mentioned is that living in L.A
You are also close to a lot of other nice places for weekend trips or even day trips . Santa Barbara , Palm Springs , San Diego etc
A flight up north to San Francisco /Napa Area is only an hour or so .. a flight to Vegas about 45 minutes .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM

Those are amazing photos of L.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I'm sorry but this city is beautiful. It has its not so pretty parts and so do all other cities but the views and vistas, some of the neighborhoods, the architecture and some of the natural beauty is pretty nice to me.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 PM

I have friends that moved to Southern CA from North Dakota and whenever I talk with them on the phone they are always outdoors either in their backyard or front yard...They truly appreciate the mild and sunny weather they are now enjoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Honestly, I think the majority of people hate the weather here in the northeast. Some just stoically endure it. Or use it as a badge of honor and tell themselves people who live in California or Florida are somehow soft or lack character.

Also people develop selective amnesia. Everyone has been complaining about how rotten our March and April has been. "Where is spring!?". I've heard like 399 times recently. Granted, it's been colder than normal, but March and April are almost always lousy. We don't have 3 months of winter, we have about 6. But people give in to wishful thinking.

But this thread is interesting. The people from cold climates who move to California seem to feel grateful and see it as paradise. The natives often see only the down sides. Human nature in a nutshell! If you've always known perfect weather you are going to take it for granted and only see the faults of where you live. But everywhere there are problems. But sunshine is sure a nice consolation prize that many can't rely on nearly as much.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:00 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Those are amazing photos of L.A
Thank you.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You bring about good points. LA can be a great place to live, provided you make a 6 figure income. Sadly, the vast majority of people calling Los Angeles home don't make remotely close to that, and for those life is a daily struggle. Despite its glamorous image, LA is a poor man's city. Low-end jobs cannot even afford the smallest rentals, as even rooms go for $1000+ these days. Without a skilled job, you'll be stuck in a not-so-good part of town. Chances are you will be sharing an apartment complex building with insane weirdos transplants who moved to LA to "live the dream", in certain areas. In nearly all areas you'll be dealing with Hispanics for neighbors, playing obnoxiously loud Mexican music, hoards of kids screaming, loud get-together at any time of the day or night, weed smell, and essentially not giving 2 jacks about the idea all these things could bother somebody else. Which brings another point, LA is the northern-most Latin America city, and not only looks like one, but is ran like one. Neighborhoods are often not that different than Mexican slums, metal bars on every windows to protect them against the rampant crime, toys laying around everlong on front yards, ugly murals painted by "artists" deprived of any good taste, and good sense. My advice: only consider moving to LA if the idea of moving to Mexico doesn't phase you.

Again, if you can afford to live in a place away for all the rif raf, and have great A/C, LA can be a good place to live.
I agree with all of the above. That's why people live in Orange County and rarely ever go to LA.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
I hear you. I too was born here, had no choice in the matter. My parents are elderly and never planned for their future, and I don't have the heart to leave them in the lurch. When they pass on I will be found in either the northwest or the midwest.

You can all have LA. Enjoy the rat race.
We could be your elderly parents when it comes to planning for the future, but we did do one thing right, we got the heck out of California. Part of it had to do with a job change way back in the early 80s, but after that we never looked back. Until recently we still enjoyed visiting L.A every few years. Even that isn't fun anymore. The cost of living and the traffic are 2 of the many reasons we never had a desire to move back to L.A or any other part of Ca. There was a time, when my parents were still alive we gave some thought to moving to Paradise, where they were living after retirement. That did not happen and it was the last time it crossed my mind.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:46 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I agree with all of the above. That's why people live in Orange County and rarely ever go to LA.
Funny, I was just thinking "that guy must prefer Orange County" as I read the screed. Neat assembly lines of beige houses with HOAs and nobody stepping out of line. Airconditioned malls with nice and predictable chain stores and chain restaurants. No surprises. No vibrancy. No life. But no murals! To each their own, but I expect time spent in Orange County to be subtracted from Purgatory.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 05-01-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 01:53 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny, I was just thinking "that guy must prefer Orange County" as I read the screed. Neat assembly lines of beige houses with HOAs and nobody stepping out of line. Airconditioned malls with nice and predictable chain stores and chain restaurants. No surprises. No vibrancy. No life. But no murals! To each their own, but I expect time spent in Orange County to be subtracted from Purgatory.
"Vibrancy" and "surprises" are nice to visit, but most people prefer coming back home to "neat assembly lines of beige houses and nobody stepping out of line".

Old 05-01-2018, 02:00 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
"Vibrancy" and "surprises" are nice to visit, but most people prefer coming back home to "neat assembly lines of beige houses and nobody stepping out of line".
To each their own, I guess. I like my little eclectic community where million-dollar mansions are next to beach cottages with VW minibuses being fixed in the driveway, where I can paint my front door red without an architectural review, grow peppers on my front porch and even use a clothesline without people complaining about loss of property values.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM

121 posts, read 155,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
To each their own, I guess. I like my little eclectic community where million-dollar mansions are next to beach cottages with VW minibuses being fixed in the driveway, where I can paint my front door red without an architectural review, grow peppers on my front porch and even use a clothesline without people complaining about loss of property values.
What neighborhood do you live in, Dane? You sound like my kind of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles