Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 PM

17 posts, read 29,746 times

Advertisements

Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
LA is a cruel siren who beckons people then when they get here chews them up and spits them out. More people are leaving then moving here so rational people seem to "get it".
Everybody is stressed to the max here. Me and my friends are all natives and are getting our exit plan in order. The weather just isn't enough anymore....

Old 04-25-2018, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 29,746 times
I hear you. I too was born here, had no choice in the matter. My parents are elderly and never planned for their future, and I don't have the heart to leave them in the lurch. When they pass on I will be found in either the northwest or the midwest.

You can all have LA. Enjoy the rat race.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,501,981 times
On paper, it does make little sense why anyone would want to live in LA... legendary traffic problems, high pollution levels, crowds everywhere, intense competition everywhere you go (parking, housing, jobs, etc.), stratospheric housing costs, and an out of control homeless problem.

So yeah, there is merit to what you are saying OP.

For whatever reason though, the weather, the vibe, and the eclectic architecture of LA are compelling enough attributes for people to tolerate all of the downsides of LA.

Personally, I don't think LA is worth it unless you are wealthy enough to afford a home in the nicer areas. That is the only scenario where I would want to live in LA. There is no way I would live in an average and/or working class LA neighborhood, struggling to make ends meet every day. The value just isn't there, IMO... I would move someplace else, where my dollar went further.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
Why are you still here? I you don't take any action it can't be that bad.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times
I think that inner human drive to be successful, winch has fueled this country, this state, and this city. I love the idea of going after what you want, and if you don't make it so what. Now, you won't live your life full of regret about not going after your dreams.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:57 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Why are you still here? I you don't take any action it can't be that bad.
Read on as far as his second post and you'll have a better idea.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
off topic, but I like how all five of the 'similar threads' recommended at the bottom of this page are threads that begin with the words 'in all seriousness', despite the fact that only one is LA-related

Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
On paper, it does make little sense why anyone would want to live in LA... legendary traffic problems, high pollution levels, crowds everywhere, intense competition everywhere you go (parking, housing, jobs, etc.), stratospheric housing costs, and an out of control homeless problem.

So yeah, there is merit to what you are saying OP.

For whatever reason though, the weather, the vibe, and the eclectic architecture of LA are compelling enough attributes for people to tolerate all of the downsides of LA.

Personally, I don't think LA is worth it unless you are wealthy enough to afford a home in the nicer areas. That is the only scenario where I would want to live in LA. There is no way I would live in an average and/or working class LA neighborhood, struggling to make ends meet every day. The value just isn't there, IMO... I would move someplace else, where my dollar went further.
Why do people that were born here think this way? And why do they think people have no right to move here that weren't born here? I came here because I got tired of shoveling snow, dealing with oppressive heat and humidity. LA is not the only overly expensive city in America. I came here from DC and Seattle. They too are quite expensive but why live in those cities and their weather issues when I can live here and look at beautiful flowers and be outdoors year around. I've been a homeowner but have no desire to buy here. And why do people choose to work in far off places and commute long distances? And then complain about traffic. I have a 2 mile commute to work which takes about 15 minutes each way, morning and evening. My commute is the key to my happiness here. I'm able to do things after work like eating out, my photography, going to the park etc. Los Angeles is a great city. I love this city and find it quite interesting. I'm not interested in living in Austin, Indianapolis, Wichita, Atlanta or anywhere else. Yes, they're cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:38 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why do people that were born here think this way? And why do they think people have no right to move here that weren't born here? I came here because I got tired of shoveling snow, dealing with oppressive heat and humidity. LA is not the only overly expensive city in America. I came here from DC and Seattle. They too are quite expensive but why live in those cities and their weather issues when I can live here and look at beautiful flowers and be outdoors year around. I've been a homeowner but have no desire to buy here. And why do people choose to work in far off places and commute long distances? And then complain about traffic. I have a 2 mile commute to work which takes about 15 minutes each way, morning and evening. My commute is the key to my happiness here. I'm able to do things after work like eating out, my photography, going to the park etc. Los Angeles is a great city. I love this city and find it quite interesting. I'm not interested in living in Austin, Indianapolis, Wichita, Atlanta or anywhere else. Yes, they're cheaper but you get what you pay for.
Same. I basically don't have a commute so I lucked out in that aspect. Maybe that's why I love LA so much. I love going outside, and taking in the beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles