U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 PM

2,920 posts, read 981,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Thank you.
Yes, they are great pictures and thank you for sharing. Nobody can say L.A. isn't beautiful.

I seriously stared at the DTLA shot for five minutes; I can't believe how much the skyline has changed since I left, which was in November 2015. I remember our last drive out, we took Mulholland; the Wilshire Grand was maybe 1/3 done.

All those cranes are crazy. Eager to see the completed result.

My fav building still is the US Bank Tower. Just something about that beast.

The WG is a total letdown btw. It's pretty and all, but I remember while living there so much hype about the new "tallest tower" being built. Total BS, a spire doesn't count. It's still dwarfed by the USB. I honestly hope no other building ever tops it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 PM

450 posts, read 192,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Yes, they are great pictures and thank you for sharing. Nobody can say L.A. isn't beautiful.

I seriously stared at the DTLA shot for five minutes; I can't believe how much the skyline has changed since I left, which was in November 2015. I remember our last drive out, we took Mulholland; the Wilshire Grand was maybe 1/3 done.

All those cranes are crazy. Eager to see the completed result.

My fav building still is the US Bank Tower. Just something about that beast.

The WG is a total letdown btw. It's pretty and all, but I remember while living there so much hype about the new "tallest tower" being built. Total BS, a spire doesn't count. It's still dwarfed by the USB. I honestly hope no other building ever tops it.
Here's a great link regarding DTLA construction projects: https://la.curbed.com/neighborhood/754/downtown

Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
To each their own, I guess. I like my little eclectic community where million-dollar mansions are next to beach cottages with VW minibuses being fixed in the driveway, where I can paint my front door red without an architectural review, grow peppers on my front porch and even use a clothesline without people complaining about loss of property values.
I actually agree with you . I was mostly just critiquing your previous comment as I don't think OC is *that* bad with regards to vibrancy.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:13 AM

135 posts, read 58,950 times
Its not just the weather, I think people that really like LA feel the energy that the city brings. It doesn't matter if you're in corporate America, a business owner, potential business owner, entertainment industry hopeful, restaurateur, the regular 9 to 5 guy/gal with the side hustle, or whatever you do there's always that feeling of, "hey maybe I can make it happen here in this town". You can't really say that about every city or town you live or visit. Of course you have to be a realist about yourself and put in the work to make it in whatever you're doing but you do feel the energy. You'd be surprised at the low moral of the population in other cities. Not all but its definitely out there.

Also since LA is so big you do that the blue collar- regular life as well here. I always here the, "Oh you need to make six figures here or else" talk. That's lovely of course but its bullsh*t at the same time. Its always somebody that's upset cause they live on the expensive westside and along the beach cities and they hang around the upper crust areas and try to rub elbows with the wealthy all day and they're fighting to maintain that lifestyle. LA is so big, there's so many nooks and crannies and different layers people need to explore a bit more out here. Plus not all of "the hood" is bad at all. Its mostly a handful of bad apples that ruin things. But most blocks are quiet and are occupied by working class like minded individuals.

Also people live in big cities cause that's where the jobs are. I'd love to have a 3 bedroom-2 bath for $100K with no traffic but with some of these smaller cities and towns you have to wonder where your money is going to come from if don't have a job already lined up.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,108,272 times
Yup...Their is literally so much things to see and do all around The L.A Region,and their is always something new or different opening up somewhere in L.A,and it's also at a great location if you wanna venture to other weekend destinations nearby as well.

One of the best things about L.A is it's Diversity of People,Cultures,Neighborhoods,Entertainment,Attrac tions,Landmarks,Shopping,Dining,Shows,Special Events,Etc whether your a Senior,Middle Aged,Teenager or a Kid...Their is always something for everyone.

The weather is wonderful most of the year where you can actually be outdoors doing something and not having to hibernate indoors,and also the microclimates are interesting to me...L.A is also one of those Metropolis where you can be in the Urban Jungle or you can escape to Secluded Areas with hardly anyone around if you need an escape....I also love how hilly certain parts of L.A is when your driving on the freeways and you see the city lights stretching for miles as you drive over the hills.

L.A is also going through so much changes for the better,especially since their is so many projects going on all around to improve or revitalize areas as it continues to grow....L.A in my honest opinion will keep on rising and moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I feel enriched living in this incredible metropolis. Great weather year round, an abundance of entertainment & culture, the Pacific Ocean, amusement parks, mountains, etc., they're all here. If the mood hits me I can get away to Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Las Vegas, or a camping trip to Sequoia or Yosemite National Park or ocean side campsites in Ventura County. I've traveled throughout the US and have never found a city that comes close to providing the aforementioned options.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 AM

34,702 posts, read 17,894,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I actually agree with you . I was mostly just critiquing your previous comment as I don't think OC is *that* bad with regards to vibrancy.
Fair enough, I may have hammered the point home a bit more than was merited...

Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 PM

3,877 posts, read 2,812,251 times
This was one of those days that really give SoCal an appeal that you can't find elsewhere.

Weather-wise as perfect as weather can be for the average human being. I met a few people from the Uk visiting today boy were they appreciative of the weather.

I think being outside is good for the soul, and being able to enjoy outside makes it all the more doable.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 605,568 times
Lived and worked in So Cal for college and career for 20+ years. My dad spent part of his teen years there too. We all agree that unless you have lived in So Cal you cannot understand the appeal of the vibe and the energy it has.However, I always knew that once I married and had kids I would not want to live there unless I had ridiculous amounts of money. If you have a house in a decent area and make a good salary it's a fun place to be. But if you have to struggle just to make ends meets the appeal loses its luster. But I still can appreciate why people love it.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,110,818 times
The appeal is in the image, as reflected in 1,000s of TV shows, movies, tabloids, and music videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4

Old 05-04-2018, 05:35 AM

571 posts, read 1,047,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
Because you’re in the middle of a world city and the culture, institutions, activities, diversity, opportunities and people that come with it.

And yea, weather isn’t boring in other places because it’s erratic and it sucks. When things suck, it’s not boring. I’d rather have boring. That to me is equivalent to saying hussling for your next dinner and rent is a more exciting life than a stable job. I’m sure it is. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or