U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 12:11 PM

26,224 posts, read 9,856,019 times

Advertisements

Best weather in the U.S. No boots, no snow tires/chains, no winter coats, no earmuffs, no shovels for the snow, not many umbrellas....

That's what...and Free Thinking People...

No RUST ridden auto.

And true traffic has gotten worse in spite of SO MANY leaving, but so MANY keep coming. Why????

To me living here for 50 some yrs, born in East, it's been like a lifetime working vacation...can go to the beach 365 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 12:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,000,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Best weather in the U.S. No boots, no snow tires/chains, no winter coats, no earmuffs, no shovels for the snow, not many umbrellas....

That's what...and Free Thinking People...

No RUST ridden auto.

And true traffic has gotten worse in spite of SO MANY leaving, but so MANY keep coming. Why????

To me living here for 50 some yrs, born in East, it's been like a lifetime working vacation...can go to the beach 365 days a year.
There's quite a few states with no snow and their a lot healthier economically then Ca

Old 05-06-2018, 01:30 PM

952 posts, read 436,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
There's quite a few states with no snow and their a lot healthier economically then Ca
Sure Florida doesn't have snow. But they have oppressive humidity and almost daily summer thunderstorms.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,110,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
and Free Thinking People...
Free Thinking People welcome intellectual and political diversity.

But just tell anyone that you voted for Trump, and you'll see that these "free thinking" Californians ... really aren't.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:56 PM

2,923 posts, read 981,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Sure Florida doesn't have snow. But they have oppressive humidity and almost daily summer thunderstorms.
Oh my gosh a thunderstorm!

Florida is hot and humid but it doesn’t stop people from enjoying living there, no matter what people say on the LA forums. I was just in Tampa myself, can’t get over how much I love it there.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 PM

335 posts, read 236,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
Los Angeles is fun. And the weather is nice.

And if traffic is what bugs you, there are ways to work around it to lessen its impact on your sanity.

But I will say it can be a stressful city. Probably why there are a zillion liquor stores and bars here.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM

26,224 posts, read 9,856,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Los Angeles is fun. And the weather is nice.

And if traffic is what bugs you, there are ways to work around it to lessen its impact on your sanity.

But I will say it can be a stressful city. Probably why there are a zillion liquor stores and bars here.
I don't think many pain clinics as in some of the states in the East....We only have 40Million some residents and yes not all legal, but we are not alone. FL doesn't do too bad in that category.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 PM

681 posts, read 545,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why do people that were born here think this way? And why do they think people have no right to move here that weren't born here? I came here because I got tired of shoveling snow, dealing with oppressive heat and humidity. LA is not the only overly expensive city in America. I came here from DC and Seattle. They too are quite expensive but why live in those cities and their weather issues when I can live here and look at beautiful flowers and be outdoors year around. I've been a homeowner but have no desire to buy here. And why do people choose to work in far off places and commute long distances? And then complain about traffic. I have a 2 mile commute to work which takes about 15 minutes each way, morning and evening. My commute is the key to my happiness here. I'm able to do things after work like eating out, my photography, going to the park etc. Los Angeles is a great city. I love this city and find it quite interesting. I'm not interested in living in Austin, Indianapolis, Wichita, Atlanta or anywhere else. Yes, they're cheaper but you get what you pay for.
Grew up in North Dakota! Been thankful to live in So Cal for the last 30 years. Love the variety of things to do here. Big city, mountains and ocean. I think people that can’t make it here are jealous.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:45 PM

148 posts, read 195,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Grew up in North Dakota! Been thankful to live in So Cal for the last 30 years. Love the variety of things to do here. Big city, mountains and ocean. I think people that can’t make it here are jealous.
That's a fairly narrow-minded way of thinking.

I'm sure there are some people that are jealous, but there are people who are put off by the notion that you're jealous, settling, miserable if you don't live in X, Y, or Z city.

I've seen 'em all and been to 'em all, and to me, there is no perfect city. LA/So Cal wins in terms of geography, and the climate that come along with that. That is important, but more important to some than others.

Last edited by WhichWayDoIGo; 05-07-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM

506 posts, read 368,153 times
I'm from Oregon originally, and I enjoy life much more in Southern California than what I would imagine my life would be like back home.

For one, I have many more opportunities here, both professionally and personally, than in Oregon. My life in Oregon revolved around hanging out at bars and breweries and drinking every weekend because I wasn't into the "mountain culture" and there was nothing else to really do when the weather turned dreary and cold.

Since moving down here, I've lost a ton of weight because my lifestyle is generally much more active. Spending weekends at the beach, walking around neighborhoods or museums, taking the metro to work so I'm not stuck in my car for commuting.

Also the weather. I find it humorous the "badge of honor" those who deal with crappy weather give themselves. I dealt with winter for 23 years before leaving Oregon, and it's shi**y. I think four seasons is overrated, but to each their own.

Overall, I just find California to be more conducive to the lifestyle I wanted than Oregon. I don't mind renting, and at this point in my life, home ownership is a nonissue for me as I have other priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or