Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 06:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From the article, Joseph Hayes, a research associate at the Public Policy Institute of California, said that the overall number of people living illegally in California has declined since before the Great Recession. The state was home to approximately 3 million undocumented residents in 2007, a figure that’s dropped to as low as 2.35 million, according to estimates reviewed by PPIC.

The decline in the state’s undocumented population reinforces Brown’s contention there’s "no massive wave of migrants pouring into California."
It does not change the reality that people in large numbers are illegally entering the State. Wow the estimate is only 2.35 million?? Now what were his estimates based on and imagine what that does to renting etc. They are in CA illegally. Breaking the law every day they stay. Working at below minimum wage and ... breaking the law and aiding their employers to do so and that also means taking jobs away from those who should have them and be paid properly. Oh and very few are in AG so forget saying no one in CA wants those jobs as it has nothing to do with probably 2.3 million of the illegals in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:06 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It does not change the reality that people in large numbers are illegally entering the State.....Working at below minimum wage and ... breaking the law and aiding their employers to do so
Then contact the employers who hire them.

Quote:
that also means taking jobs away from those who should have them and be paid properly. Oh and very few are in AG so forget saying no one in CA wants those jobs
Do you know of anyone who's tried one of those jobs?

A day in the strawberry fields seems like forever/ He finds kindness and camaraderie with Mexican immigrants picking strawberries. But he falls far behind as his back tightens and his muscles burn: A day in the strawberry fields seems like forever

Fruits of labor: sunny California is no paradise for farm workers: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...onditions-jobs

Think immigrants are taking our jobs? Try picking strawberries for a day: https://newfoodeconomy.org/strawberr...y-study-labor/

Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Then contact the employers who hire them.
Does no good as the politicians elected do not care. They are supported by donations from businesses that hire illegals.

Quote:
Do you know of anyone who's tried one of those jobs?

A day in the strawberry fields seems like forever/ He finds kindness and camaraderie with Mexican immigrants picking strawberries. But he falls far behind as his back tightens and his muscles burn: A day in the strawberry fields seems like forever

Fruits of labor: sunny California is no paradise for farm workers: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...onditions-jobs

Think immigrants are taking our jobs? Try picking strawberries for a day: https://newfoodeconomy.org/strawberr...y-study-labor/

As I pointed out meaningless as the vast majority of illegals are not working in agriculture.

Please how much agriculture is left in OC and Metro LA? Agriculture does not hire enough plus those businesses are watched a little more closely and usually hire those with work Visas.

L.A., Orange counties are home to 1 million immigrants who are in the country illegally, analysis shows

"L.A., Orange counties are home to 1 million immigrants who are in the country illegally, analysis shows"

They are not taking AG jobs.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
As I pointed out meaningless as the vast majority of illegals are not working in agriculture.

They are not taking AG jobs.
Would someone you know like to work at the car wash? How about washing dishes at Burger King? Try a job working in the garment district at well below minimum wage? You really think that even a pampered American teenager is going to take one of these jobs? I doubt it.

Undocumented immigrants make up an estimated 10 percent of California's workforce, and the work they do is often at the bottom rung of the wage scale. That's part of what makes their place in the economy controversial and keeps the immigration debate heated.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-...my-theres-cost

Old 06-12-2018, 12:54 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Like with NYC, some people might move to L.A. because they want to live in a major entertainment hub, even though they are likely aware they might not ever make big or really at all the entertainment industry.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
as a current born and raised NYC girl, there's a LOT to be said for good weather year round. Don't take it for granted. Here, we get pretty much nine months of crap and even the summers aren't too great. Hardly any spring or fall and lots of rain and snow in between. Pretty much rained the whole month of May here. And we deal with extremely high costs of living and for what?? Quality of life is crap. Most native NYers that I know are DYING to leave, me included.

Factor in long commutes to Manhattan (where most people cannot afford to live but have to work to many any money) everyday and rude ass people, it adds up to misery (for me at least). lol Try pushing down a sidewalk in midtown Manhattan during rush hour after being on a train or bus for over an hour, in the rain or snow, with miserable people bumping into you and giving you dirty looks. FUN!

When the weather is nice, it just makes life more enjoyable. One of my old co-workers, who I though was a die hard NYer went out to SoCal to work for a few weeks and is trying to relocate there now. He was shocked how much he loved it.

Of course, if you are coming from a place that has a much cheaper cost of living, the prices in LA might shock and deter.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:33 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I moved to LA for film and it was great learning everything I needed to know, building my company (still based in LA), and my career and resume. Then I left. I hated the city. But if you’re in film there are good reasons to be there and of course even if you leave it’s advisable to be close. I’m back in Portland which is my home town and I hate it more than LA but the Gf is here, so we are finally moving to somewhere we love (Vegas) next year. Much closer to LA but zero state taxes and far better weather.

So that’s my transition. Can we stop it with the weather? Please?! It’s a joke. The weather in LA is horrible compared to expectations. Locals and other clueless people act like LA weather is a 10/10 best in the world. It’s a 6.5 to 7. That’s it. If you set the bar really low like Minnesota or Vermont then yes it’s “great.” But look at your weather. It’s cloudy and 70 degrees this weekend *as a high!* On June 16! That’s garbage. You’d be hard pressed to find ONE other city right now outside of Alaska with worse weather. Even miserable Portland will be 90 and sunny Sunday. It’s nice everywhere BUT LA now. In my 4.5 years there I could never get over how horrible the weather was compared to what I expected. Rains 15 inches per year, way too much, it’s only 4 in Vegas. It’s cold most of the year. Summers are gloomy, usually the marine layer doesn’t burn off until 1-3 pm and it’s not “June Gloom” it’s legit all summer long! Winters are cold, especially in Burbank or in the Valley. Coastal communities never achieve anything approaching good weather.

My dad was renting a $13,000/month vacation townhouse (small!) in Newport and I’d repeatedly troll him via text. “Wow July 10 and the high is 72! Amazing Newport, it’s almost approaching a temperature someone might go outside. Not to swim. Or without a light jacket. But like... to a car. And then indoors.” That place has lame weather year around. Take Cabo San Lucas, 80-85 every day, gorgeous. Much like Hawaii. Every day is swimming weather. Newport? Well there’s always the hot tub, I guess.

I’d legitimately take Portland weather over Newport. Nine months of misery but three months of beautiful summers with perfect weather. Newport is 12 months of mediocrity and oh also it’s dark by 8! In Portland it’s light until 9:30.

It’s like saying on one hand you can eat frozen dinners all day every day, you never get a real meal, or on the other hand you can only eat lame snacks like protein bars and cereal BUT once a day you get an amazing meal out. That’s Portland versus Newport. One is horrible 75% of the time and great 25%. The other is just mediocre 100% of the time, never great, never truly bad, just some sad state of warm enough not to need a down jacket but not hot enough for shorts.

So please let’s cut it out with the weather. You have to have never traveled anywhere to call LA weather “great.” It’s ok. Certainly doesn’t make up for the crushing taxes, fake people, high cost of living, miserable traffic, and general poor quality of life. Even bars close really early. Quick name another world class city with last call at 2! Wait... there isn’t one.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Can we stop it with the weather? Please?! It’s a joke. The weather in LA is horrible compared to expectations. Locals and other clueless people act like LA weather is a 10/10 best in the world. It’s a 6.5 to 7. That’s it. If you set the bar really low like Minnesota or Vermont then yes it’s “great.” But look at your weather. It’s cloudy and 70 degrees this weekend *as a high!* On June 16! That’s garbage. You’d be hard pressed to find ONE other city right now outside of Alaska with worse weather.
The sun just came out. Feel better now?

Personally, I love the overcast weather....especially since we all know what a hot summer it will most likely be.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I go to Portland, actually Beaverton each Christmas, have for years. It's freezing there, 40 in the middle of the day and thats a nice day. It only gets down to 40 here a few times a year.
I sure agree on the crushing taxes and high cost of living, and it's going to get unbearable if Newsom gets in.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I moved to LA for film and it was great learning everything I needed to know, building my company (still based in LA), and my career and resume. Then I left. I hated the city. But if you’re in film there are good reasons to be there and of course even if you leave it’s advisable to be close. I’m back in Portland which is my home town and I hate it more than LA but the Gf is here, so we are finally moving to somewhere we love (Vegas) next year. Much closer to LA but zero state taxes and far better weather.

So that’s my transition. Can we stop it with the weather? Please?! It’s a joke. The weather in LA is horrible compared to expectations. Locals and other clueless people act like LA weather is a 10/10 best in the world. It’s a 6.5 to 7. That’s it. If you set the bar really low like Minnesota or Vermont then yes it’s “great.” But look at your weather. It’s cloudy and 70 degrees this weekend *as a high!* On June 16! That’s garbage. You’d be hard pressed to find ONE other city right now outside of Alaska with worse weather. Even miserable Portland will be 90 and sunny Sunday. It’s nice everywhere BUT LA now. In my 4.5 years there I could never get over how horrible the weather was compared to what I expected. Rains 15 inches per year, way too much, it’s only 4 in Vegas. It’s cold most of the year. Summers are gloomy, usually the marine layer doesn’t burn off until 1-3 pm and it’s not “June Gloom” it’s legit all summer long! Winters are cold, especially in Burbank or in the Valley. Coastal communities never achieve anything approaching good weather.

My dad was renting a $13,000/month vacation townhouse (small!) in Newport and I’d repeatedly troll him via text. “Wow July 10 and the high is 72! Amazing Newport, it’s almost approaching a temperature someone might go outside. Not to swim. Or without a light jacket. But like... to a car. And then indoors.” That place has lame weather year around. Take Cabo San Lucas, 80-85 every day, gorgeous. Much like Hawaii. Every day is swimming weather. Newport? Well there’s always the hot tub, I guess.

I’d legitimately take Portland weather over Newport. Nine months of misery but three months of beautiful summers with perfect weather. Newport is 12 months of mediocrity and oh also it’s dark by 8! In Portland it’s light until 9:30.

It’s like saying on one hand you can eat frozen dinners all day every day, you never get a real meal, or on the other hand you can only eat lame snacks like protein bars and cereal BUT once a day you get an amazing meal out. That’s Portland versus Newport. One is horrible 75% of the time and great 25%. The other is just mediocre 100% of the time, never great, never truly bad, just some sad state of warm enough not to need a down jacket but not hot enough for shorts.

So please let’s cut it out with the weather. You have to have never traveled anywhere to call LA weather “great.” It’s ok. Certainly doesn’t make up for the crushing taxes, fake people, high cost of living, miserable traffic, and general poor quality of life. Even bars close really early. Quick name another world class city with last call at 2! Wait... there isn’t one.
Hate to break to you, but not everyone loves 90 degrees, 70 is fine.

And 2am is late enough to be out, so go to Vegas and roast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles