U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:58 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,003,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Just curious on your point about slight decrease for COL. Where abouts in Seattle did you live and where did you move? What about salary if you're still working (appears to be lower in LA by a decent amount)?
We lived in Mercer Island, and we presently live in Marina Del Rey.

My salary got a slight bump, because my company's cost of living metrics were/are outdated (Edit: In that their internal scoring system had LA listed as more expensive), but that wasn't what made the COL better here. We found that our cost of living here is actually a few points cheaper than it was in Seattle. Things like groceries, utilities, insurance and automotive fees, dining, entertainment, travel costs....all less. Median home price where we came from is going to eclipse 1 million dollars this year. I don't care how you frame it, LA isn't going to hit that number anytime soon. The COL difference isn't a lot, but still, it IS in fact cheaper.

Last edited by Xanathos; 04-26-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 24,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Sounds like he had a lot of time to make decisions before his parents became elderly. So I don't think it's a valid excuse. He could have left before the parents became elderly. Granted it's noble they're willing to take care of them now, but that's just a part of life.

He's a troller. He posted the exact same type of post 2 1/2 years ago. Look at his old posts. Most about bashing L.A. He didn't take any action then about moving...

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...l#post41520391

I feel the need to vent from time to time and genuinely want to know why people choose to live here. Sorry if I came off like a troll. You know what they say, "the grass isn't always greener". Perhaps when I leave this city behind I'll come to miss it. You never know.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM

320 posts, read 209,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
We lived in Mercer Island, and we presently live in Marina Del Rey.

My salary got a slight bump, because my company's cost of living metrics were/are outdated (Edit: In that their internal scoring system had LA listed as more expensive), but that wasn't what made the COL better here. We found that our cost of living here is actually a few points cheaper than it was in Seattle. Things like groceries, utilities, insurance and automotive fees, dining, entertainment, travel costs....all less. Median home price where we came from is going to eclipse 1 million dollars this year. I don't care how you frame it, LA isn't going to hit that number anytime soon. The COL difference isn't a lot, but still, it IS in fact cheaper.
Hmm definitely helpful to hear. Overall I think housing prices are still cheaper in Seattle on a per sqr feet basis, particularly for single family homes. Pretty much nothing in LA under $1M in that regard (talking comparable nicer neighborhoods to Mercer Island such as Santa Monica, Manhattan/Hermosa Beach, etc.)

Agreed that some of those small things are definitely cheaper, but if you're looking to switch to a new job it's definitely tough, esp. considering potential commute times. Jobs on average in LA pay much less than Seattle unless it's an office transfer. Just speaking from experience as family is looking to do the same move from Seattle and having a hard time.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,406,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
I feel the need to vent from time to time and genuinely want to know why people choose to live here. Sorry if I came off like a troll. You know what they say, "the grass isn't always greener". Perhaps when I leave this city behind I'll come to miss it. You never know.
This place has changed over the last 30-40 years. I'm leaving in the near future...not too far because I still like what CA has to offer. But do a lot of research if you do leave. No place is a utopia despite what people may say.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 PM

3,840 posts, read 2,525,881 times
I must have missed the memo about not being able to make it in LA. Of course, I was young & dumb when I moved here from Ohio just a year out of college and with $ 600 to my name in 1975. Found an apartment, got a job, got a second job . Finally at 28 I got into selling real estate. Bought a house, bought a boat and a couple apartment buildings. Started my appraisal business in 1992 and then my income went INSANE. House is long paid off, so's everything else. Now I just work part time for fun, hang out at the boat and enjoy life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4

Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM

7,991 posts, read 3,852,878 times
Quote:
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?
Some people just enjoy the energy of a major city.

Quote:
"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.
I can agree, I hate summers here.

Quote:
"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!
Liberalism has a weird extreme here. It's diverse though in SoCal. So you can find your enclave.

Quote:
"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!
Imagine if people like Seth Rogen and other actors followed your advice. There'd BE no actors. Can't fault someone for taking a leap. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So hats off to the folks that go for it. Godspeed.

Quote:
"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!
I agree. Luckily transit is improving. But we got a long way to go. Just gotta be smart about where you work and move. And wayze can be a big help in finding shortcuts(until those suicide left turns appear).

Quote:
Why do so many buy into it?
Because life is too short to stay stagnant in the same place you grew up in.

For me personally. I'm originally from here and got family here. Majority of them.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:05 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,238,295 times
All the same reasons I left LA 47 years ago to move to NYC. For me LA was a place that was very difficult to make a decent living in or get ahead in without contacts. At the time it seemed like someone would have to die for an opening for a good job to appear. With all the great scenery and places to see and go, there was no way to have all the goodies the beautiful people flaunted, the expensive cars, the nice homes, etc. I felt like an outsider who would never do more than envy those who had it made.
NYC was the opposite. If you were willing to assert yourself and work hard there were plenty of opportunities. And rich or poor, everyone was taking the same subway, crowded into the same busy sidewalks, working in the same office buildings, so I didn't feel like an outsider at all. Living and working in NYC I did buy a house, got married and had kids, had nice cars, now have a bunch of grandkids. None of my friends or relatives who stayed in LA did any of that.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:07 PM

7,991 posts, read 3,852,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You bring about good points. LA can be a great place to live, provided you make a 6 figure income. Sadly, the vast majority of people calling Los Angeles home don't make remotely close to that, and for those life is a daily struggle. Despite its glamorous image, LA is a poor man's city. Low-end jobs cannot even afford the smallest rentals, as even rooms go for $1000+ these days. Without a skilled job, you'll be stuck in a not-so-good part of town. Chances are you will be sharing an apartment complex building with insane weirdos transplants who moved to LA to "live the dream", in certain areas. In nearly all areas you'll be dealing with Hispanics for neighbors, playing obnoxiously loud Mexican music, hoards of kids screaming, loud get-together at any time of the day or night, weed smell, and essentially not giving 2 jacks about the idea all these things could bother somebody else. Which brings another point, LA is the northern-most Latin America city, and not only looks like one, but is ran like one. Neighborhoods are often not that different than Mexican slums, metal bars on every windows to protect them against the rampant crime, toys laying around everlong on front yards, ugly murals painted by "artists" deprived of any good taste, and good sense. My advice: only consider moving to LA if the idea of moving to Mexico doesn't phase you.

Again, if you can afford to live in a place away for all the rif raf, and have great A/C, LA can be a good place to live.
Ok I'm gonna have to stop you right there man. Don't be cramping on our murals. That's an L.A. thing.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM

3,612 posts, read 2,028,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Some people just enjoy the energy of a major city.

I can agree, I hate summers here.

Liberalism has a weird extreme here. It's diverse though in SoCal. So you can find your enclave.

Imagine if people like Seth Rogen and other actors followed your advice. There'd BE no actors. Can't fault someone for taking a leap. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So hats off to the folks that go for it. Godspeed.

I agree. Luckily transit is improving. But we got a long way to go. Just gotta be smart about where you work and move. And wayze can be a big help in finding shortcuts(until those suicide left turns appear).

Because life is too short to stay stagnant in the same place you grew up in.

For me personally. I'm originally from here and got family here. Majority of them.
Seth Rogan???? Lol

Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM
DKM

3,853 posts, read 1,382,952 times
Quote:
Moved my family here last year because its the best place in the world to live. But I'm not really in LA and would never ever move to actual LA. Something for everyone. Also like someone else said, the COL isn't that different than Seattle or even Portland when you consider salary adjustments. Maybe it depends on your industry. I did bring a quarter million down payment which took me 15 years to save up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or