U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:56 PM

7,574 posts, read 3,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Seth Rogan???? Lol
IDK, I was thinking of an actor and he popped up. But he's successful though so it's not entirely a bad example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM

302 posts, read 416,807 times
Just me being me, but I just LOVE LA!!!! I totally get why people wouldn't like it, but a lot of my friends have moved from here (Chicago) to LA (or in some cases San Diego), and each of them loves it there. I'm seriously (but cautiously/realistically) considering moving there after grad school if the right opportunities come about/etc.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe the flip side of that coin is that it's so much cheaper to say in a city that I like (but not as much) and can get ahead in, and spend $250 on flights 3 or 4 times a year to go to LA and just only experience it as a gigantic playground.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 PM

847 posts, read 867,696 times
Default Why

People who have dreams of making it big in the music, entertainment, and film business as well as the million plus illegals mostly from Central America and SE Asia flock to LA.

Me- a job is better than going hungry and not working.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:42 AM

3,877 posts, read 2,811,381 times
I moved out to LA (SaMo) about two months ago from the Mojave Desert next to Joshua Tree NP.

I used to frequent LA, San Diego, and pretty much all of Southern California on a regular basis, and the city that I most liked was LA. I had the option of moving just about anywhere, but I felt I couldn't leave SoCal just yet.

I was under the impression that once I moved to LA that eventually my interest in the city would wane, and I would feel the same as many of the people who dislike LA, just about everyone that I knew from California that did not live LA hated it. You see that a lot on here as well it's like the rest of CA vs LA, but in LA people seem to actually enjoy the rest of the state.

I freaking love LA more than ever, I love everything about this place, I even love the traffic to a certain extent. It's so crazy because im from Florida, and I Loved that state as well being my home state, but i'm officially a LA fanboy I will go to bat for this city. lol

I used to hate sunny days because that's all we had in the desert, but now I get sad here whenever there is no sun. I feel like sunny days here are legit the definition of perfection. I go outside on a sunny day, and i'm literally just mesmerized by the absolute perfection of this place even with the smog, and everything. I guess when you see what it can be, you can sorta kind of become blind to what is.

I understand its not for everyone, but I came to tell y'all that there are people who live here who absolutely adore the city. In the past two months i've met so many who have recently moved from the East Coast all of my close friends here actually, the weird thing is, is that all those people actually really love LA, so I guess I'm not the only one.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM

2,887 posts, read 1,201,373 times
One of the most important things that determines whether you like or dislike a place, regardless of climate, scenery, etc., is how well you are doing economically in terms of income and opportunity. LA's a beautiful place to visit or go to school, but if you can't make a decent living there the sunshine and beauty wears off quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I moved out to LA (SaMo) about two months ago from the Mojave Desert next to Joshua Tree NP.

I used to frequent LA, San Diego, and pretty much all of Southern California on a regular basis, and the city that I most liked was LA. I had the option of moving just about anywhere, but I felt I couldn't leave SoCal just yet.

I was under the impression that once I moved to LA that eventually my interest in the city would wane, and I would feel the same as many of the people who dislike LA, just about everyone that I knew from California that did not live LA hated it. You see that a lot on here as well it's like the rest of CA vs LA, but in LA people seem to actually enjoy the rest of the state.

I freaking love LA more than ever, I love everything about this place, I even love the traffic to a certain extent. It's so crazy because im from Florida, and I Loved that state as well being my home state, but i'm officially a LA fanboy I will go to bat for this city. lol

I used to hate sunny days because that's all we had in the desert, but now I get sad here whenever there is no sun. I feel like sunny days here are legit the definition of perfection. I go outside on a sunny day, and i'm literally just mesmerized by the absolute perfection of this place even with the smog, and everything. I guess when you see what it can be, you can sorta kind of become blind to what is.

I understand its not for everyone, but I came to tell y'all that there are people who live here who absolutely adore the city. In the past two months i've met so many who have recently moved from the East Coast all of my close friends here actually, the weird thing is, is that all those people actually really love LA, so I guess I'm not the only one.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,593,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Same. I basically don't have a commute so I lucked out in that aspect. Maybe that's why I love LA so much. I love going outside, and taking in the beauty.
Is Los Angeles really all that beautiful though? The LA Basin is basically a desert. Certain areas are pretty (the beaches, the mountains), but the LA Metro and the surrounding valleys are pretty drab and brown for the most part. And I say this as a lifelong Southern California native. I was born and raised in Cerritos (basically a suburb of Long Beach), and I still live in my hometown. The LA area has a lot to offer and many positives, but I'm not so sure natural beauty is at the top of the list. The few natural areas left within the city are few and far between; the majority of the area is concrete and asphalt and strip malls and housing complexes. And the few remaining hillsides are slowly being eaten up to housing development, so very little of the "natural" LA Basin remains.
But the weather is great for some people (although I personally think it's boring and mundane; the lack of true seasons gets monotonous), and there is a lot to do and see here, so it's a conglomeration of options. And of course jobs are here. But for beauty you have to travel to Big Bear or Laguna Beach or Malibu (or along Angeles Crest Highway).

Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
L.A works from some but not for others .

No city is one size fits all .

Prices are what they are because people are willing to pay for it .

How is a $1 million house here worth $50k tops ?

Have you seen prices in other parts of the country these days .
A $1 million home in L.A these days at least you’re likely to be in a decent area .

I’ve been looking in the Midwest and you aren’t even going to find a decent home there for $50k .

Not sure how much traveling you’ve done to other states but I’d recommend it . Maybe you’ll gain a new appreciation for la or find a place you want to live .
You can find decent homes for 50k in many areas of the country, but many of them will be in smaller towns. A big issue is that many people want a decent, cheap house, but they also want that house to be located in a nice area of a major industrial city, which is a tough, tough find. Move out to the sticks or to a less populated, rural area and you may find many decent homes at that price. If you are retired or can work from home, then you'd have it made.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You bring about good points. LA can be a great place to live, provided you make a 6 figure income. Sadly, the vast majority of people calling Los Angeles home don't make remotely close to that, and for those life is a daily struggle. Despite its glamorous image, LA is a poor man's city. Low-end jobs cannot even afford the smallest rentals, as even rooms go for $1000+ these days. Without a skilled job, you'll be stuck in a not-so-good part of town. Chances are you will be sharing an apartment complex building with insane weirdos transplants who moved to LA to "live the dream", in certain areas. In nearly all areas you'll be dealing with Hispanics for neighbors, playing obnoxiously loud Mexican music, hoards of kids screaming, loud get-together at any time of the day or night, weed smell, and essentially not giving 2 jacks about the idea all these things could bother somebody else. Which brings another point, LA is the northern-most Latin America city, and not only looks like one, but is ran like one. Neighborhoods are often not that different than Mexican slums, metal bars on every windows to protect them against the rampant crime, toys laying around everlong on front yards, ugly murals painted by "artists" deprived of any good taste, and good sense. My advice: only consider moving to LA if the idea of moving to Mexico doesn't phase you.

Again, if you can afford to live in a place away for all the rif raf, and have great A/C, LA can be a good place to live.
Wow! This sounds a bit racist. The entire post sounds that way, but here's just a few snippets:

"You'll be dealing with mostly Hispanics for neighbors." Is there something inherently wrong with Hispanics? Or with Hispanic neighbors? Hispanics, like any other group, are very diverse, so it's unfair to generalize "Hispanics" as being represented by any specific type of person, or by any specific type of person exhibiting a specific type of behavior.

"Playing obnoxiously loud Mexican music." For the record, all types of music can be played obnoxiously loud. If it were loud American music, would it be less offensive? All ethnic groups can play "obnoxiously loud" music and be disruptive, discourteous, and troublesome.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:49 PM
DKM

3,852 posts, read 1,362,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Is Los Angeles really all that beautiful though? The LA Basin is basically a desert. Certain areas are pretty (the beaches, the mountains), but the LA Metro and the surrounding valleys are pretty drab and brown for the most part. And I say this as a lifelong Southern California native. I was born and raised in Cerritos (basically a suburb of Long Beach), and I still live in my hometown. The LA area has a lot to offer and many positives, but I'm not so sure natural beauty is at the top of the list. The few natural areas left within the city are few and far between; the majority of the area is concrete and asphalt and strip malls and housing complexes. And the few remaining hillsides are slowly being eaten up to housing development, so very little of the "natural" LA Basin remains.
But the weather is great for some people (although I personally think it's boring and mundane; the lack of true seasons gets monotonous), and there is a lot to do and see here, so it's a conglomeration of options. And of course jobs are here. But for beauty you have to travel to Big Bear or Laguna Beach or Malibu (or along Angeles Crest Highway).
I came from a place many consider beautiful (Oregon) and I think its better here. We are right in the hills and they aren't always brown and the northern sides aren't really brown ever. Lots of trees too. Finally, even when I go down into LA it doesn't feel like a desert like Phoenix does. Its irrigated so you see lots of interesting trees and bushes.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,023,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
You have to realize though that many of the people who praise LA's beauty come from midwest or east coast cities where there is no natural beauty to speak of... Dallas, Houston, St Louis, Chicago, NYC, DC... Anything that resembles beauty in these cities is man-made (or man-placed.. e.g. landscaping).

The LA region has a lot of mountains surrounding it, usually with nice homes built on them, a nice looking peninsula, pretty coastlines, palm trees, etc. No other major US city outside of California has all of these natural features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or