U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,534,060 times

Advertisements

Another thing I don’t think mentioned is that living in L.A
You are also close to a lot of other nice places for weekend trips or even day trips . Santa Barbara , Palm Springs , San Diego etc
A flight up north to San Francisco /Napa Area is only an hour or so .. a flight to Vegas about 45 minutes .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM

121 posts, read 106,689 times
I currently live in Denver. Once I relocate to LA, my salary will literally double, and my rent will only be a few hundred dollars more a month for a bigger place. I pay $1,400 for a studio here. COL is high all over.

LA isn't for everyone.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:19 AM

3,877 posts, read 2,828,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How exactly are they losing? I had a tenant making 80k in Texas. Moved here and off the bat made 110,000 and within 6 months has another offer for 10k more. Moved a year later and bought a house. So how exactly was he a loser......

The job was exactly what he had in Texas
Not necessarily an entire loss, but if you they hate it here, but continue to live here, and pay taxes then I think Californians are the ones gaining from this. If you hate where you live, but you're contributing to that place, i'm sorry you're losing!!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 2,828,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
I currently live in Denver. Once I relocate to LA, my salary will literally double, and my rent will only be a few hundred dollars more a month for a bigger place. I pay $1,400 for a studio here. COL is high all over.

LA isn't for everyone.
We'll be welcoming you with open arms, Welcome to LA amigo!!!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:58 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,603,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I drove from Denver to LA years ago on the old route 66 which I guess is I40 now. Didn't hit real desert except from Barstow to San Berdadino. Flagstaff, Az. certainly isn't dessert. It's covered in pines.
Oh, large parts of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico are desert, so you would traverse large parts of desert driving from Denver to LA. And Denver itself is technically in a "cold" desert; it's located on the leeward side of the Rockies and therefore in the rain shadow, but thanks to it's elevation and northerly latitude, Denver is not a true-blue desert -- but definitely has some "desert-like" characteristics.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post

LA isn't for everyone.
Seems to be a no brainer in that situation.

I’ve been to Denver once and it was nice but it’s kind of crazy how expensive it is .

Is it more recently it’s gotten so expensive ?

Average house price there is $500,000 .

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/0...ge-home-price/

Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM

959 posts, read 445,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I’ve heard a ton of people that grew up there say after decades “I had to get away from the cold weather “ and they end up moving to CA or Florida.
It seems a lot of people never get used to it .

I don’t see putting on with snow on car and plowing it and worrying about frozen pipes and putting on so many heavy jackets and gloves being fun .

I’m kind of surprised especially of how expensive New Jersey is and the property taxes are really insane much higher than L.A

I guess some people must like it to pay that much to live there.
Honestly, I think the majority of people hate the weather here in the northeast. Some just stoically endure it. Or use it as a badge of honor and tell themselves people who live in California or Florida are somehow soft or lack character.

Also people develop selective amnesia. Everyone has been complaining about how rotten our March and April has been. "Where is spring!?". I've heard like 399 times recently. Granted, it's been colder than normal, but March and April are almost always lousy. We don't have 3 months of winter, we have about 6. But people give in to wishful thinking.

But this thread is interesting. The people from cold climates who move to California seem to feel grateful and see it as paradise. The natives often see only the down sides. Human nature in a nutshell! If you've always known perfect weather you are going to take it for granted and only see the faults of where you live. But everywhere there are problems. But sunshine is sure a nice consolation prize that many can't rely on nearly as much.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Honestly, I think the majority of people hate the weather here in the northeast. Some just stoically endure it. Or use it as a badge of honor and tell themselves people who live in California or Florida are somehow soft or lack character.

Also people develop selective amnesia. Everyone has been complaining about how rotten our March and April has been. "Where is spring!?". I've heard like 399 times recently. Granted, it's been colder than normal, but March and April are almost always lousy. We don't have 3 months of winter, we have about 6. But people give in to wishful thinking.

But this thread is interesting. The people from cold climates who move to California seem to feel grateful and see it as paradise. The natives often see only the down sides. Human nature in a nutshell! If you've always known perfect weather you are going to take it for granted and only see the faults of where you live. But everywhere there are problems. But sunshine is sure a nice consolation prize that many can't rely on nearly as much.
Yeah that’s true. I know people that when it’s like under say 65 degrees out will say “it’s freezing out”

I have heard that before about East Coasters thinking they are tougher because of their weather conditions. Always thought that was kind of silly .

Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 PM

121 posts, read 106,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Seems to be a no brainer in that situation.

I’ve been to Denver once and it was nice but it’s kind of crazy how expensive it is .

Is it more recently it’s gotten so expensive ?

Average house price there is $500,000 .

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/0...ge-home-price/
Home prices have gotten crazy. But my main gripe is how Coloradans blame everything on transplants (mostly Californians and Texans).

There was a photo posted in the news recently that showed a car with CA plates, and the driver had taped a sign on the trunk that read something like "Not from California. This is a rental!". The hate for CA (and transplants in general) is very real and childish and annoying.

I love California and Californians!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,115,894 times
I used to live up in the Pacific Northwest and I also think life is better down here in California...Way more things to see and do and better weather

L.A is surprisingly green despite it's dry climate and has a large variety of trees,flowers and birds too from what i've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I came from a place many consider beautiful (Oregon) and I think its better here. We are right in the hills and they aren't always brown and the northern sides aren't really brown ever. Lots of trees too. Finally, even when I go down into LA it doesn't feel like a desert like Phoenix does. Its irrigated so you see lots of interesting trees and bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or