U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 PM

6,484 posts, read 4,669,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why do people that were born here think this way? And why do they think people have no right to move here that weren't born here? I came here because I got tired of shoveling snow, dealing with oppressive heat and humidity. LA is not the only overly expensive city in America. I came here from DC and Seattle. They too are quite expensive but why live in those cities and their weather issues when I can live here and look at beautiful flowers and be outdoors year around. I've been a homeowner but have no desire to buy here. And why do people choose to work in far off places and commute long distances? And then complain about traffic. I have a 2 mile commute to work which takes about 15 minutes each way, morning and evening. My commute is the key to my happiness here. I'm able to do things after work like eating out, my photography, going to the park etc. Los Angeles is a great city. I love this city and find it quite interesting. I'm not interested in living in Austin, Indianapolis, Wichita, Atlanta or anywhere else. Yes, they're cheaper but you get what you pay for.
I agreed with everything you said until the part about you get what you pay for. That's an individual call and everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 PM

34,702 posts, read 17,885,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
What neighborhood do you live in, Dane? You sound like my kind of people.
Redondo Beach - the less frou-frou part, obviously.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM

450 posts, read 192,550 times
There are several reasons to want to live in LA. They may not make sense to everyone, but we all make life style choices. Some work out for the better, some don't. But if your choice is to live in a diverse and exciting city with endless opportunities, you'll find a way to deal with the cost of living and traffic, as I have.

I feel enriched living in this incredible metropolis. Great weather year round, an abundance of entertainment & culture, the Pacific Ocean, amusement parks, mountains, etc., they're all here. If the mood hits me I can get away to Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Las Vegas, or a camping trip to Sequoia or Yosemite National Park or ocean side campsites in Ventura County. I've traveled throughout the US and have never found a city that comes close to providing the aforementioned options.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You bring about good points. LA can be a great place to live, provided you make a 6 figure income. Sadly, the vast majority of people calling Los Angeles home don't make remotely close to that, and for those life is a daily struggle. Despite its glamorous image, LA is a poor man's city. Low-end jobs cannot even afford the smallest rentals, as even rooms go for $1000+ these days. Without a skilled job, you'll be stuck in a not-so-good part of town. Chances are you will be sharing an apartment complex building with insane weirdos transplants who moved to LA to "live the dream", in certain areas. In nearly all areas you'll be dealing with Hispanics for neighbors, playing obnoxiously loud Mexican music, hoards of kids screaming, loud get-together at any time of the day or night, weed smell, and essentially not giving 2 jacks about the idea all these things could bother somebody else. Which brings another point, LA is the northern-most Latin America city, and not only looks like one, but is ran like one. Neighborhoods are often not that different than Mexican slums, metal bars on every windows to protect them against the rampant crime, toys laying around everlong on front yards, ugly murals painted by "artists" deprived of any good taste, and good sense. My advice: only consider moving to LA if the idea of moving to Mexico doesn't phase you.

Again, if you can afford to live in a place away for all the rif raf, and have great A/C, LA can be a good place to live.
I've lived all over the city and most of what your saying is pure BS.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I must have missed the memo about not being able to make it in LA. Of course, I was young & dumb when I moved here from Ohio just a year out of college and with $ 600 to my name in 1975. Found an apartment, got a job, got a second job . Finally at 28 I got into selling real estate. Bought a house, bought a boat and a couple apartment buildings. Started my appraisal business in 1992 and then my income went INSANE. House is long paid off, so's everything else. Now I just work part time for fun, hang out at the boat and enjoy life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4
We Love it, We love it !!!!!

Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
All the same reasons I left LA 47 years ago to move to NYC. For me LA was a place that was very difficult to make a decent living in or get ahead in without contacts. At the time it seemed like someone would have to die for an opening for a good job to appear. With all the great scenery and places to see and go, there was no way to have all the goodies the beautiful people flaunted, the expensive cars, the nice homes, etc. I felt like an outsider who would never do more than envy those who had it made.
NYC was the opposite. If you were willing to assert yourself and work hard there were plenty of opportunities. And rich or poor, everyone was taking the same subway, crowded into the same busy sidewalks, working in the same office buildings, so I didn't feel like an outsider at all. Living and working in NYC I did buy a house, got married and had kids, had nice cars, now have a bunch of grandkids. None of my friends or relatives who stayed in LA did any of that.
It may not have worked out for you, but I think it's rare that a person who moves to LA from NYC, actually returns to NYC. I've lived in LA a long time and have known my share of NYC transplants. The first thing out of their mouth is "I'm a New Yorker." And God knows there's thousands upon thousands of them in LA. But I've only known one who after living in LA for many years actually moved back to NYC and he was a very successful plastic surgeon. I have to add, that most of the NY transplants I've met have done quite well for themselves in LA.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Just me being me, but I just LOVE LA!!!! I totally get why people wouldn't like it, but a lot of my friends have moved from here (Chicago) to LA (or in some cases San Diego), and each of them loves it there. I'm seriously (but cautiously/realistically) considering moving there after grad school if the right opportunities come about/etc.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe the flip side of that coin is that it's so much cheaper to say in a city that I like (but not as much) and can get ahead in, and spend $250 on flights 3 or 4 times a year to go to LA and just only experience it as a gigantic playground.
There are lot's of Chicago transplants in LA and I think they all feel as you do about the City of Angels. And when their beloved Cubs come to town they fill Dodger Stadium.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I agree with all of the above. That's why people live in Orange County and rarely ever go to LA.
Every time I think of Orange County I'm reminded of the song "Little Boxes" by folk singer Malvina Reynolds. Here's the first verse:

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

Old 05-02-2018, 03:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 978,898 times
Yes, once we tallied up that we had flushed over 50k down the toilet in rent in two years, with no chance of ever buying anything/anywhere decent (despite good income), it took us about .00001 seconds to decide to leave. Good riddance. We didn't like living there anyway.

I agree with other poster, only way I'd want to live there is if I could afford a house in a nice area. On second thought though even if someone paid me $1,000,000/yr I probably still wouldn't go back. Top tax brackets there you are literally giving Uncle Sam more than 50% of your income. That's unconscionable.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM

323 posts, read 133,926 times
I admit I was one of those people. I went to pasadena to go to drug rehab..and decided to stay. I quickly found out how crappy and expensive Cali is. It sucks! I moved to TX a few years later. Hope they fall into the water. hate Cali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or