Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I go to Portland, actually Beaverton each Christmas, have for years. It's freezing there, 40 in the middle of the day and thats a nice day. It only gets down to 40 here a few times a year.
I sure agree on the crushing taxes and high cost of living, and it's going to get unbearable if Newsom gets in.
Beaverton is where I live for another 18 months or so. But no it’s literally never 40 degrees in the middle of the day the other 9 months besides winter. Maybe in the middle of winter sure, but it’s a dreary 300 days of clouds and 50-65 most of the year. Winters colder, like 38-52 let’s say, springs and falls 47 max overnight low and some days as high as 85 (late spring and early fall) but rarely. Portland area weather sucks overall, it’s the largest reason to hate Portland besides the hipsters, high taxes, and everything else lol. I have no love for my home city whatsoever.

Give me 90 over 70 any day. I guess if I worked all day in an office, didn’t have a pool, and had limited free time maybe 70 isn’t the worst because you’re walking around and you’re comfortable enough. Like it’s great for hiking, way better than 90. But I want the maximum number of hot days - I love swimming and anything below 80 and arguably 85 isn’t swimming weather. Large swaths of LA rarely ever get that warm except the middle of summer maybe and that’s true everywhere else in the US too.

One day I’m hoping to pick up a second home for work, just a condo in Burbank (The Burbank Collection), because I like it there as an industry town and very quiet, safe, good for being based for work I do in LA. It’s a nice place. I just wouldn’t want to live there full time. I can’t get a luxury residence for $1.5M in LA, and if I did the property taxes would be high, income taxes crushing, etc. LA is a great city for the ultra wealthy I feel though if they don’t care about taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 AM

58 posts, read 54,953 times
Only a privileged Angelino would complain about 70 degree weather....you know the Sweet spot.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
70 degree weather is just nothing special. What's the difference between 50 and 70 in your everyday life? As long as it's not raining, it's about the same thing. I can easily hike in 50 degrees with just a light jacket on, and at 70 I'd be in a T-shirt and shorts, but either way I'm still hiking in more or less similar conditions. At both temperatures I can go do errands without it being a big issue either.

The real difference in temperature is between anything under 80 and anything over 80. At over 80, you can swim, you can enjoy some warmth, and even in the shade you'll feel good.

Look at today, another miserable day in LA. It was 88 today in Portland and gorgeous, it was 101 in Las Vegas, and it was... 72 in Los Angeles. Absolutely pathetic. If you want that year around, well ok, but I certainly don't. That's way too cold for summer. It's 80+ almost everywhere by now, even miserable Portland, and it seriously shouldn't be 16 degrees warmer in Portland 1,000 miles to the North. I think LA weather is great for people who want very moderate temperatures and hate the cold but also hate the heat. I love warm weather and the ideal temperature for most people to enjoy as summer-like temperatures are 80-90 degrees, so I prefer a place that can hit that sweet spot the maximum number of days per year. That is not Los Angeles.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:41 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Look at today, another miserable day in LA. It was 88 today in Portland and gorgeous, it was 101 in Las Vegas, and it was... 72 in Los Angeles. Absolutely pathetic.
Higher is better? To each their air-conditioned own. I'm sitting in my house with the patio doors open and enjoying the ocean breeze. Plans for the evening involve racing a friend's J-boat on the Pacific for a few hours. Yeah, I think I'm in the right spot.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
The weather has been beautiful in LA. I lived in the PNW for 12 years and when its 88°, most up there complain that it's too hot.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:53 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Vegas is a trashy, hideous place to live. That’s why its real estate market lost up to 75% of its value in the crash. The least desirable places crash the most.

West L.A. is fantastic. Obviously it’s not all roses everywhere you go in the city, but it’s overall great and especially so if you work out of your house (which many creatives in LA do).

Old 06-22-2018, 01:06 PM

149 posts, read 145,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Oh my gosh a thunderstorm!

Florida is hot and humid but it doesn’t stop people from enjoying living there, no matter what people say on the LA forums. I was just in Tampa myself, can’t get over how much I love it there.
I've lived in Tampa for 20 years and I'm the opposite. Tired of sweating through all my clothing. Wish I could wear pants and flannel. Visited LA recently and I'm in love. Even after driving on the 405

Old 06-22-2018, 01:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
I've lived in Tampa for 20 years and I'm the opposite. Tired of sweating through all my clothing. Wish I could wear pants and flannel. Visited LA recently and I'm in love. Even after driving on the 405
Lived for 55 years in SoCal and now in FL. Love the drier weather in SoCal but my body prefers the humidity.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Most people I know who moved to LA, it was either for the weather or for a job. Most put up with all the bad parts, but love the weather enough that they don't care. They take advantage of the sun year-round. Others hate it (sun year-round, traffic, crowded, expensive, etc) and they try to leave. Some come back, some don't. Most have.

I moved to Portland and I will say the things I miss the most are the ocean (even just seeing it), the awesome 70 degree days, the coast weather, and the convenience of everything and anything, especially food. Portland is a foodie town, but let's just say reviews of establishments are a bit skewed based on the diversity/population of Portland.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:34 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
I moved here in late 2016 for not only the weather and job opportunities, but for a new lease on life. Living in the midwest was depressing me socially, professionally, emotionally. It just wasn't good for me. I visited LA regularly since 2005 for vacations and each visit confirmed that I belonged here. So far, so good. I'm very, very happy to be living here. Now all I have to do is start making the bigger bucks so I can save money and maybe, just maybe, maybe buy a home one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles