Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

These art galleries have been attacked in Boyle Heights .

Now it looks like it’s happening in South Central.
They came into an art gallery and splashed red paint all over the artwork.

They are also chanting “Gringos out” at the same gallery in the past .

Defend Boyle Heights the thugs that have been protesting that little independent coffee shop are gloating over this recent attack .

Why aren’t Defend Boyle Heights being treated as a hate group ?

Interesting no reporting in this from the la times .. hmm .

defendboyleheightsSo this happened in South Central, a white art gallery was visited by locals and created some art of their own.

“This moment is a good litmus test to see which of your homies are racist pro-gentri ass fools. Are art galleries and art more important than the stability of the working class, black, immigrants, undocumented, and homeless communities??”
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhpBuVYh...ource=ig_embed

Last Saturday a group exhibition opened at Dalton Warehouse, a gallery located in the middle of an art studio complex in South Central Los Angeles. During the opening, four individuals who at first appeared to be part of the general art audience proceeded to cover their mouths with bandanas and then splash the gallery walls, exhibited artwork, and bystanders with red paint. They started from the back of the space and ended by running out of the gallery and onto the street. The individuals were originally identified by curate.la in an Instagram story as three males and one female, all relatively young.

“The incident on Saturday was not the first time Dalton Warehouse has been a target. Last year activists protested another art opening, though in that instance no property was vandalized. The protesters did, however, hold signs that said “Gringo Get Out.”

https://hyperallergic.com/439208/ant...e-los-angeles/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:45 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Very sad. The artists took the trouble to create something, and the vandals saw fit to destroy it, though I doubt they even knew the artists or much about the art itself. Absolutely pathetic.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Boyle Heights: Where racism is applauded by people who call other people racists.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Boyle Heights: Where racism is applauded by people who call other people racists.
sounds like most of the west coast these days

Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Racism against non POCs is.just.not.a.thing. Watch Buzzfeed, etc. Wypipo are privileged and tone deaf to the suffering of POCs. But remember POCs are not a monolith -- whereas wypipo are a monolith though because raycis through original sin.

If you partner with and open a wypipo coffee shop and you yourself are [white washed] Latino, you're basically acting like wypipo hence oppressor. You are not providing a business that benefits POCs and returns money to POCs and communities of color.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
As an art lover and someone who admires creative types, this really chaps my hide. Boyle Heights was once a Jewish neighborhood. Imagine if they said we want to keep this neighborhood Jewish (under some circumstances considered a minority) and ran out the incoming Mexican population? Imagine if the black population of South Central denied Hispanic immigrants moving in and said we only welcome blacks/American citizens? Further, I guess it's lost on these people that plenty of non-whites are artists as well?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
As an art lover and someone who admires creative types, this really chaps my hide. Boyle Heights was once a Jewish neighborhood. Imagine if they said we want to keep this neighborhood Jewish (under some circumstances considered a minority) and ran out the incoming Mexican population? Imagine if the black population of South Central denied Hispanic immigrants moving in and said we only welcome blacks/American citizens? Further, I guess it's lost on these people that plenty of non-whites are artists as well?
Yeah I don’t know why someone would do that . I can only imagine it comes from a place of hate . Instead of creating they would go and destroy someone else’s artwork and space .
There seems to be something ugly brewing with these militant groups . The media barely covers it though so who knows what other crimes they are committing .

Old 04-27-2018, 07:56 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Look at the communists organizing the protests against the betterment of their community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nb_QcxKrjQ&t=325s

Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 AM

82 posts, read 62,938 times
I Thought California was a progressive place? Also Non POC... This is the same kind of thing that happens when a minority moves into your neighborhood. It's no difference!! I Hate this protesting stuff srs. it'a getting old

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM

335 posts, read 356,268 times
To be fair, the place is BARELY south of downtown. Though it's technically south of the 10 and a tad east of the 110 (central), it's not what most people think of as South Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles