U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM

241 posts, read 140,312 times

Advertisements

Well do to an accurate comparison, you first need to specify what you mean by "LA"... just LA city or LA country...

Because I read a comment someone post where they say East LA was 100% Hispanic. Why it is true, East LA is not part of City of LA.... so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:16 PM

550 posts, read 252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Well do to an accurate comparison, you first need to specify what you mean by "LA"... just LA city or LA country...

Because I read a comment someone post where they say East LA was 100% Hispanic. Why it is true, East LA is not part of City of LA.... so
LA proper or greater LA, Hispanics are still the majority. LA's population is very Hispanic, it's neither good nor bad. It's just a fact, known to all. Still, it makes people become defensive and turn to semantics to divert the discussion from reality to words.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,284,864 times
I was just visited West LA and it was mostly white people and Asians. Beverly Hills felt mostly Jewish and Persian and other Middle Eastern minorities than anything else, I hardly ever saw a Latino out that way.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:16 AM

10,344 posts, read 10,822,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
I think Miami feels more like a Latin American City than L.A....L.A does have a lot of Hispanics,but it still has an American Feel throughout most of the region.
Census bureau states
Miami City is 71.2% Latino of with total population estimate as of July 1, 2016: 453,579
Los Angeles City is 48.6% Latino of with total population estimate as of July 1, 2016: 3,976,322

So LA is almost eight times as large with a Latino population considerably higher percentage. I believe that Miami is the only sizeable city in the entire world where over half the population was born in another country.

If you pick up a Spanish book, more often than not they call citizens of USA United Statesians or the equivalent in Spanish. The reason is that many scholars in Latin America think that the term "American" should apply to anyone who lives in Northern or Latin America. At any rate the use of the term American to apply to people from the 13 colonies that would become the US, seems to date from colonial times. It was their way of denoting to people that they were a unique part of the British empire. Canadians did not call themselves Americans. At any rate within a few decades after independence, the French started complaining that the word America applied to their colonies as well. It was not until later than Spanish speaking countries began to raise the same objection.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 AM

1,411 posts, read 736,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Due to the massive influx of population from South of the border, Los Angeles has been a Hispanic dominated city for quite some time now. The use of the Spanish language is probably more common than English. Does all this qualifies LA to be considered as part of Latin America?
Only if the United States is a Latin American country.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:21 AM

25,361 posts, read 18,864,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I was just visited West LA and it was mostly white people and Asians. Beverly Hills felt mostly Jewish and Persian and other Middle Eastern minorities than anything else, I hardly ever saw a Latino out that way.
You didn't visit much of Los Angeles, either the city or the county then.

It's like someone going to NYC and saying NYC is mostly Chinese because they were in Flushing or Elmhurist, Queens.

You know too little and saw too little to comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or