U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 AM

13,456 posts, read 25,368,079 times

Advertisements

They pull a lot of fans from the IE as well.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,395,532 times
I went to the Angels-Yankees game last night and have some deep thoughts on this after seeing this thread (Angels lost 11-1, rode into the ARTIC on Amtrak which was super-impressive BTW).

Yes, "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" seems forced and awkward on ticketing/scoreboards. I went into the fan shop to buy an Angles hat and noticed that no merchandise bore the name "Los Angeles."

The solution to this is to just drop "Anaheim" altogether, while doubling down on "Los Angeles." Los Angeles then, like New York and Chicago, would just have an NL and AL team. Angels Stadium is much closer to downtown Los Angeles than Levi Stadium is to downtown San Francisco. In fact, Levi Stadium is in an entirely separate metro area (San Jose-Sunnyvale). Have you ever heard anyone question the legitimacy of "San Francisco 49ers?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Anaheim/Santa Ana fall under the primary metro area for L.A.

A lot of this comes down to whether you believe north OC to be a wholly independent metro area from L.A. IMO, if you're already in a primary metro area with 13 million people, why bear the name of a 330,000 city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:27 PM

952 posts, read 436,815 times
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is absurd. But I'm not sure if it's as bad as the California Angels. There are FOUR other major league teams in the state of California.

When the Rams played in Anaheim and were the Los Angeles Rams, did anyone complain about that? Why don't the Angels just call themselves the LA Angels and be done with it. Isn't Anaheim basically part of greater LA?

Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,395,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is absurd. But I'm not sure if it's as bad as the California Angels. There are FOUR other major league teams in the state of California.

When the Rams played in Anaheim and were the Los Angeles Rams, did anyone complain about that? Why don't the Angels just call themselves the LA Angels and be done with it. Isn't Anaheim basically part of greater LA?
This is what I'm saying. Based on what other markets do around the country, they should just go all in with LA Angels and forget the word Anaheim. Another angle is look at the Texas Rangers...don't they play in a city that is to Dallas sort of be like what Anaheim is to L.A.? Looking at it that way makes me wonder they didn't stick with California Angels.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 726,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
The Angels probably pull a few fans from San Diego county, particularly the northern end (i.e. Oceanside). Not sure, but the distance from Oceanside to Anaheim could be about the same as to Petco park in downtown San Diego. Once waaaaaaayyy back in the day, I was in San Diego and bought a newspaper (not sure if it was a San Diego paper, or a San Diego edition of the L. A. Times, but I noticed in the sports, they had the Padres boxscore and the Angels (no Dodgers).
The only people from San Diego county going to Angel games are transplants from American League cities that don’t get to see their team play that often against the Padres. I have friends from BOS, NY, and DET that go every year. Casual fans, especially ones with kids, aren’t going to Anaheim over Petco Park.

You must of read the LA Times, San Diego edition, or maybe the Dodgers didn’t play that day? I’ve been reading The Union Tribune since a child and have never seen that to be the case.

I will say when I drive through the IE from San Diego going to the mountains I see tons of Angel stickers, more so than Dodgers, on cars. Although I suppose this is probably opposite of what you’d see with the towns on/near the border with LA county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles