U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2018, 09:11 AM
 
121 posts, read 105,892 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking at a place right where Laurel Canyon and Hollywood Blvd meet. Can anyone speak on that area?

I like the area, and it seems pretty walkable (further down Hollywood Blvd, down to WeHo and Fairfax, etc.) I realize those walks are a couple of miles, but I like to walk.

Is it safe? Does traffic backup there often? My potential workplace commute would be Sunset and Vine.


Thank you! I enjoy reading this forum and hearing all of your thoughts on this great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM
 
309 posts, read 192,497 times
Reputation: 440
Its safe. Too far to walk to Fairfax District... would suggest looking around 3rd and Fairfax for maximum walkability in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 PM
 
121 posts, read 105,892 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Its safe. Too far to walk to Fairfax District... would suggest looking around 3rd and Fairfax for maximum walkability in that area.
It's only like 2 miles south which is roughly a 35-40 minute walk, but I'll take a look around that area too. Thanks for replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 AM
 
121 posts, read 105,892 times
Reputation: 267
Any other thoughts/opinions/experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,817 posts, read 2,502,266 times
Reputation: 11576
I agree, it's a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,363 posts, read 873,937 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
It's only like 2 miles south which is roughly a 35-40 minute walk, but I'll take a look around that area too. Thanks for replying.
Not sure about the area, but I'm a walker like you--2 miles is not far at all. It's hard for me to understand why people don't walk more in this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM
 
4,212 posts, read 6,984,397 times
Reputation: 2649
Great area. You can even walk to work.
The walking isn't the most pleasant because it's heavy car traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 01:31 AM
 
Location: California
31,479 posts, read 34,724,474 times
Reputation: 27156
My daughter lived in that area when she first moved to LA, up Laurel Canyon a bit, and I agree it's a nice area. It's good if you don't mind walking amongst the traffic because I can tell you that driving was a PITA and everything, no matter how close, was "20 minutes away"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Greater Los Angeles
2 posts, read 1,649 times
Reputation: 12
Best_Coast, I would highly recommend that area. I used to live at Nichols Canyon & Hollywood, and only left because my subsequent employment took me too far to commute from there. Yes, the traffic is heavy (but isn't it heavy just about anywhere in the basin?).

The places you can walk are endless: the Sunset Strip, WeHo, the market (Bristol Farms and "Rock 'n Roll" Ralphs), Runyon Canyon (great scenery--and I don't mean just the landscape). Even if you own a car, consider getting a TAP metro pass. The 217 line (Fairfax) is a straight shot from that area down to the Fairfax District, Farmer's Market/The Grove, LACMA & more. In the other direction, 217 stops at the Hollywood & Highland Red Line which can take you anywhere from DTLA to Long Beach to Pasadena. I used to walk the mile or so to the H&H Red Line.

I'm a walker, too, and my favorite part of living there was the semi-rural "hikes" through the surrounding Hollywood Hills. Since the neighborhood is strictly residential north of Sunset, many streets are amazingly quiet & bucolic---yet a stone's throw from the city and all it has to offer. IMO, best of both worlds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM
 
121 posts, read 105,892 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH69 View Post
Best_Coast, I would highly recommend that area. I used to live at Nichols Canyon & Hollywood, and only left because my subsequent employment took me too far to commute from there. Yes, the traffic is heavy (but isn't it heavy just about anywhere in the basin?).

The places you can walk are endless: the Sunset Strip, WeHo, the market (Bristol Farms and "Rock 'n Roll" Ralphs), Runyon Canyon (great scenery--and I don't mean just the landscape). Even if you own a car, consider getting a TAP metro pass. The 217 line (Fairfax) is a straight shot from that area down to the Fairfax District, Farmer's Market/The Grove, LACMA & more. In the other direction, 217 stops at the Hollywood & Highland Red Line which can take you anywhere from DTLA to Long Beach to Pasadena. I used to walk the mile or so to the H&H Red Line.

I'm a walker, too, and my favorite part of living there was the semi-rural "hikes" through the surrounding Hollywood Hills. Since the neighborhood is strictly residential north of Sunset, many streets are amazingly quiet & bucolic---yet a stone's throw from the city and all it has to offer. IMO, best of both worlds!
Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top