Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM

567 posts, read 430,796 times

Advertisements

Most of all, I love the cities incredible diversity. When you're out and about in LA you're bound to hear people speaking a language other than English (Spanish, Armenian, Korean, Farsi, Chinese, Arabic, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Japanese, etc) I love that because it reminds me of why we're all here, diverse people and cultures sharing the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
match the density of cities like SF/NYC
NYC?!? lmmfao

You eva been to Manhattan?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Most of all, I love the cities incredible diversity. When you're out and about in LA you're bound to hear people speaking a language other than English (Spanish, Armenian, Korean, Farsi, Chinese, Arabic, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Japanese, etc) I love that because it reminds me of why we're all here, diverse people and cultures sharing the same experience.
Arabic is pretty rare. I've never heard Portuguese in LA.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d _b0lden View Post
NYC?!? lmmfao

You eva been to Manhattan?

I wasn't claiming all of LA is like this - I was saying there are many census tracks in LA that have comparable density to sections of SF and NYC, contrary to what many people would think.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
How it fluctuates between urban and suburban to where even the suburbs are still somewhat urban(minus the valley and certain other areas where they feel just straight up suburban).

Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 PM

567 posts, read 430,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Arabic is pretty rare. I've never heard Portuguese in LA.
I know several Brazilians, and in my neighborhood Syrians own and operate most of the liquor stores, while Bangladeshi's own and operate most of the gas stations. Also most of the 7/11's around here are owned and operated by East Indians.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I know several Brazilians, and in my neighborhood Syrians own and operate most of the liquor stores, while Bangladeshi's own and operate most of the gas stations. Also most of the 7/11's around here are owned and operated by East Indians.
Brazilians are a rarity in LA, as are other Lusophones. Bengali and Indians don't speak Arabic. All I hear in LA is Spanish, Spanglish, English, Chinese, Korean, Armenian, Tagalog, Farsi and Vietnamese. All the other languages' presence range from very marginal to non-existent.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
LA's food options are fantastic. Such good foreign cuisine can be found in random strip malls all over the city. Sure you're not getting a high end dining experience, but you can find authentic food from all over the globe at very reasonable prices. There's a stretch of Reseda Blvd we used to go to that had Ramen, Mexican, Peruvian, Thai, Middle Eastern, among others all within a few blocks of each other.
LA has amazing food options, but good food offerings for European restaurants seem much harder to find.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 PM

181 posts, read 319,357 times
This has little to do with urbanity, but what I really love about LA is the presence and prevalence of palm trees! No matter the demographics, median income, or history of a neighborhood, you can almost always be sure there's a palm tree nearby, if not several. That, along with the fact that there are so many beaches, mountains, and entertainment options all within a reasonable distance (not to mention, the endless diversity) makes it such a unique place to be. When you're in LA, you just feel like you're actually somewhere.

And this is coming from a born and bred Bay Arean!

Old 05-06-2018, 02:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
This has little to do with urbanity, but what I really love about LA is the presence and prevalence of palm trees! No matter the demographics, median income, or history of a neighborhood, you can almost always be sure there's a palm tree nearby, if not several. That, along with the fact that there are so many beaches, mountains, and entertainment options all within a reasonable distance (not to mention, the endless diversity) makes it such a unique place to be. When you're in LA, you just feel like you're actually somewhere.

And this is coming from a born and bred Bay Arean!
Say goodbye to the palm trees...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lm-trees-dying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles