U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 2,413,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar psf View Post
Left in 2005 came back in 2014. Couldn't wait to get back to California. The rest of the country is such an armpit.
You lived in the other 49 states all at once? Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,534,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Lots of broken dreams in Hollywood. Lot's of shady people too. At least you saw the light and got out in time. Maybe you can do theater in Oregon. Good luck
Yeah , hard to imagine how many this city has chewed up and spit out over the years .

On the plus side I think other places have become more interesting to live in versus the past.

Big country out there .

Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 AM

121 posts, read 157,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Lots of broken dreams in Hollywood. Lot's of shady people too. At least you saw the light and got out in time. Maybe you can do theater in Oregon. Good luck
Broken dreams. Wow. You make it sound like the lights went out for good. I left for many reasons but one was the rent being too high and not earning as much as when I entered. I did have any "dreams in Hollywood" and in fact I avoided Hollywood as much as possible.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM

5,307 posts, read 9,195,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
I'm here in Oregon, but there are similar problems up here. I'm originally from the Northeast. I was studying acting in LA, auditioning for commercials, performing... but it's just not doable without a dead solid and fully flexible reliable $50k income secondary career. I just couldn't do it anymore. So I'm leaving, finding a cheap place to live and work... rebuild my skills. I fully respect the creative that can manage to pull through and struggle but I couldn't do it anymore. Besides, there are other cities that are actually better than LA to develop.. especially for comedy. I'll be back. It'll take at least a few years, but when I do I'm settling in Santa Monica.
You just left LA last week so you’re “home sick”. This is perfectly normal.

I too moved from Northeast to LA many years ago. At that time, it took me almost 3 years to “like” LA. My first year I could not wait to get back “home”. The 2nd year I began to acept the fact I will be here for awhile. The 3rd year I bought a house and LA began to feel like home as I put down roots.

You’re doing the right thing investing your skills and for your economic needs by making this move. Focus on those and start making new friends. You can still pursue your interest in theater & acting by engaging/ volunteering in local arts community. Focus on your new environment will help you get over homesickness sooner. Coming back is still an option after your economic situation improved.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 PM

132 posts, read 93,169 times
Native who left two years ago that should have left much earlier, I'm never going back.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 AM

2,774 posts, read 1,692,939 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz2wVLyTar4

Old 05-17-2018, 11:00 AM

3,612 posts, read 2,028,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post

RIP Tupac......He didn't die in LA

Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM

598 posts, read 526,019 times
Why do you need to live in LA to work? I have many friends living in Oregon or other states that work from home or fly out for gigs.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM

194 posts, read 158,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
I'm curious to how many of you left LA and then came back? How long did your hitatus last?

I left there last week and now having regrets. Did anyone else have similar feelings? It's hard to believe really that I'd miss all that cut throat driving, beeping horns, hours on the highway, etc...
Yes. I left in summer of 2004 for Arizona after having lived in California since 1994. I stayed in AZ for a year. The first 3-5 months were BRUTAL to my psyche. I had SERIOUS California withdrawal and was very depressed. I was also with child and that may have something to do with my hormones as well. My poor husband. I would cry so much thinking what did we get ourselves into. After the "shock" wore off and I developed a routine of "normal" it wasn't so bad. In fact, I wanted to stay but in the summer of 2005, we returned to Cali because the office he'd been transferred to closed.

I permanently left Cali in 2010 and have no plans on ever returning. Once you create some distance and a normal routine for yourself you will realize you have a much better quality of life now. Once you get used to your surroundings you'll be fine.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 PM

121 posts, read 106,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
Yes. I left in summer of 2004 for Arizona after having lived in California since 1994. I stayed in AZ for a year. The first 3-5 months were BRUTAL to my psyche. I had SERIOUS California withdrawal and was very depressed. I was also with child and that may have something to do with my hormones as well. My poor husband. I would cry so much thinking what did we get ourselves into. After the "shock" wore off and I developed a routine of "normal" it wasn't so bad. In fact, I wanted to stay but in the summer of 2005, we returned to Cali because the office he'd been transferred to closed.

I permanently left Cali in 2010 and have no plans on ever returning. Once you create some distance and a normal routine for yourself you will realize you have a much better quality of life now. Once you get used to your surroundings you'll be fine.
And where are you now that's better than CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or