U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 AM
 
1 posts, read 951 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

HI .

All.


Hope everyone is doing good and great.

Just came to Los Angeles, Anyone up for friendlies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,930 posts, read 10,622,727 times
Reputation: 11021
If you have hobbies, you'll probably find people with similar interests on Meetup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 AM
 
1,364 posts, read 1,114,482 times
Reputation: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If you have hobbies, you'll probably find people with similar interests on Meetup.
I've never been to a Meetup, but I've heard most are pretty lame. Many introverts, nerds, and Asperger cases, seeking dates. And bad male to female ratios for dating.

On the Seattle forum, some woman was complaining about attending Meetups to pursue her interests, and always being hit on by creepy guys.

Also full of flakes. Many people come once, promise to return, and never do. Or promise to come, but never show up in the first place.

Well, those some complaints I've heard. I'm sure there are some good Meetups, but they're allegedly in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,930 posts, read 10,622,727 times
Reputation: 11021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've never been to a Meetup, but I've heard most are pretty lame. Many introverts, nerds, and Asperger cases, seeking dates. And bad male to female ratios for dating.

On the Seattle forum, some woman was complaining about attending Meetups to pursue her interests, and always being hit on by creepy guys.

Also full of flakes. Many people come once, promise to return, and never do. Or promise to come, but never show up in the first place.

Well, those some complaints I've heard. I'm sure there are some good Meetups, but they're allegedly in the minority.
I've never been to a Meetup for singles seeking dates, but for a specific hobby where that it's difficult to find others, it's been just fine for me though I've only been to a small few. Yeah, there are a few creepy-bodies who show up every now and then, but they've been rare in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
241 posts, read 140,942 times
Reputation: 197
My best advice:

Try to meet people in person.

Personally, I've never bought into meeting people online (including this forum)....

LA is pack with people, I'm sure if you just walk to the corner of your street, you'll start meeting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
10 posts, read 3,763 times
Reputation: 24
I am also new to LA. I used meetup for 2 of my interests: Photography and trekking. Both groups are reasonably good. While trekking, we chat a lot and I learnt a lot about LA. I would say meetup is many times better than Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 AM
 
2,748 posts, read 2,812,158 times
Reputation: 3012
A good way to meet new people is to join Facebook clubs where people share a similar interest- by trekking I guessing u mean hiking - like https://www.facebook.com/groups/327521794960/about/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/403360756467379/

I am guessing both of you are from overseas from some of the words used (friendlies)- another way to make new friends is to l join a group of people from another country (or place) that live in the same city such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britslovela/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/33789677589/about/
a good article on making new friends in general https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/...n-adult-155989
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 AM
 
Location: california
2 posts, read 943 times
Reputation: 11
Try to meet people in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM
 
21 posts, read 18,526 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyChapman View Post
I am also new to LA. I used meetup for 2 of my interests: Photography and trekking. Both groups are reasonably good. While trekking, we chat a lot and I learnt a lot about LA. I would say meetup is many times better than Craigslist.
Yes better than Craigslist...but still meetup has many weird people as well. Most of the members are literally in all the other meetup groups. Many introverts that do not know how to deal with other peoples personalities, many nerds, and flakes. I guess they are "meetup addicts". It is the same in every city, same situation.

Sadly the website itself is contradicting...your there to "meet" people and make friends from there...but many of those people don't hangout with other members in the meetup, if they do...it's often just to attend other meetups. Perhaps if meetup had a different name and many group did not use those cheesy name tags or shirts or signs people would think of them differently.

Traditional friendships are better because they are not forced upon...they take just longer to develop but they are more genuine. That is how people have basically been doing things in America for hundreds of years. I know sometimes it is different in other cultures, but the expectations in other cultures are also different from the ones in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
 
21 posts, read 18,526 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
A good way to meet new people is to join Facebook clubs where people share a similar interest- by trekking I guessing u mean hiking - like https://www.facebook.com/groups/327521794960/about/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/403360756467379/

I am guessing both of you are from overseas from some of the words used (friendlies)- another way to make new friends is to l join a group of people from another country (or place) that live in the same city such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britslovela/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/33789677589/about/
a good article on making new friends in general https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/...n-adult-155989
Sadly a lot of younger people are not using Facebook as much anymore, most of the profiles are dormant, less active, or fake profiles and used as decoy profiles to log into other websites or apps.


I still trust facebook groups more than meetup though, simply because I know more family members that use Facebook and don't know anyone that uses meetup. So perhaps that might be why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top