Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

On a related note there is a new show on Starz called Viva

It’s about gentrification in Boyle Heights . Or gentrification caused by Latinos or Latinx as SJWs like to say .

Boyle Heights seems to be the least tolerant neighborhood in L.A these days .

Saracho—who, as a child, moved from Mexico to Texas and later to Chicago—explained to CNN that when she began shooting the pilot in Boyle Heights, she herself was viewed by the community as an outsider, a gentrifier of sorts. It reached the point that, while filming the pilot, someone from the neighborhood shouted at her, calling her a “white-tina.” It was the first time she had heard the term, and she wrote it into the script. She also sought to move production to locations that would disrupt the community as little as possible.

Boyle Heights-Set Dramedy Vida Is Exactly the Show L.A. Needs Right Now - Los Angeles Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 PM

399 posts, read 407,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
Such ignorance. Not everyone works a 9-5 job, especially in LA. I'm gainfully employed and could attend nearly every protest taking place due to an unconventional schedule.
Yes, I'm sure your example holds true for all of them. From the little I saw of the video I could tell they're mostly successful food truckistas and night-shifters at LAX air traffic control. Nothing says "I'm making something of my life and going places!" like using communist agitation techniques to keep your neighborhood mired in third world hopelessness.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 PM

A Kosher restaurant is opening up in Boyle Heights .. and guess who is protesting it ?

Our communist friends at Defend Boyle Heights .

They are calling it a “hipster” place is “expensive menu items” .. lol . Hipster kosher ?

They say the neighborhoods needs places like laundromats and “after school centers” .

They say the restaurant doesn’t “fit in the neighborhood “

https://www.facebook.com/defendboyle...031761/?type=3

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2018/...boyle-heights/

Old 05-09-2018, 12:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
A Kosher restaurant is opening up in Boyle Heights .. and guess who is protesting it ?

They are calling it a “hipster” place is “expensive menu items” .. lol . Hipster kosher ?

They say the neighborhoods needs places like laundromats and “after school centers” .

You're acting as if this just came out. This was back in January.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
You're acting as if this just came out. This was back in January.
Do you agree with the protestors ?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
On a related note there is a new show on Starz called Viva

From the article:

"Yet as the sisters step out into their community, their scorn is thrown right back in their faces. When they encounter a childhood acquaintance (Chelsea Rendon) berating some white hipsters in a restaurant for “Colubusing” birria, Emma chastises her: “Have you ever considered that maybe this birria place could use the business?” The girl comes right back calling her a “white-tina.” For a moment, Emma is stunned. It’s a retort rendered all the more complex by the story of the line’s inclusion in the episode.

Saracho—who, as a child, moved from Mexico to Texas and later to Chicago—explained to CNN that when she began shooting the pilot in Boyle Heights, she herself was viewed by the community as an outsider, a gentrifier of sorts. It reached the point that, while filming the pilot, someone from the neighborhood shouted at her, calling her a “white-tina.” It was the first time she had heard the term, and she wrote it into the script. She also sought to move production to locations that would disrupt the community as little as possible."

So the Boyle Heights people don't like others making television shows in their neighborhood, either. I get the feeling that the vast majority of people who live here are on the dole and don't like anybody taking any sort of entrepreneurial initiative whatsoever.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:51 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
I just dropped the Google street view man on a randomly selected street in Boyle Heights. Wow, I'm glad I can afford to live on the Westside.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:

Boyle Heights was historically Jewish so I don’t understand why BH Latinx folks are afraid of people who are different from themselves.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Boyle Heights was historically Jewish so I don’t understand why BH Latinx folks are afraid of people who are different from themselves.
Yeah true , the original Canter’s deli location was actually in Boyle Heights.

It actually used to be a lot more diverse in the past .

Old 05-09-2018, 01:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Yeah true , the original Canter’s deli location was actually in Boyle Heights.

It actually used to be a lot more diverse in the past .
Having 90 plus percent Latinx is diverse I thought because no white Tinas, well, except one commie and a Tejana white Tina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles