U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM

2,701 posts, read 5,021,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinopazzo View Post
bottom line is as a visitor you won't have any problems using public transportation, and most of the areas with very little public transportation are places you (probably) wouldn't care to visit anyways.
I think its just the opposite,many of the places that are fantastic for tourists to see like the Palos Verdes scenic drive have limited public transit options.

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/...in-los-angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I would stay in Pasadena, like another poster suggested. There are reasonably priced hotels on Colorado a little walk away from Old Pasadena.
Pasadena is an ok choice but I think a first time visitor might have a much better experience staying closer to areas with beach access. As previously mentioned I think the Redondo Beach area is a good choice. This is an excellent area to start a scenic drive south to Palos Verdes,Seal Beach,Sunset Beach,Huntington Beach,Newport Beach,Balboa Peninsula, and Laguna Beach.

Some people might prefer Santa Monica Beach but I would prefer to avoid the westside traffic and high prices, especially as a visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 272 times
“Pasadena is centrally located in LA” HA! Funniest thing I read all day that I spit my coffee out. Pasadena is in the middle of nowhere compared to DTLA, Koreatown, and Long Beach which is where people should really be suggesting to the OP

Pasadena is too far Inland and is a sleepy suburb where people move to get away from the big coastal cities.

Tourist only care for the Westside of LA and Coastal Orange County since that’s the main attraction for visitors. Nobody cares about the strip malls in The Valley.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Mile native View Post
“Pasadena is centrally located in LA” HA! Funniest thing I read all day that I spit my coffee out. Pasadena is in the middle of nowhere compared to DTLA, Koreatown, and Long Beach which is where people should really be suggesting to the OP

Pasadena is too far Inland and is a sleepy suburb where people move to get away from the big coastal cities.

Tourist only care for the Westside of LA and Coastal Orange County since that’s the main attraction for visitors. Nobody cares about the strip malls in The Valley.
You're full of it. Ever heard of the Rose Bowl and the Rose Parade, where hundreds of thousands of people gather every January?

By the way, do you know "Financial Instructor"? He's as full of it as you and your first thread is about 8 minutes before his...

Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
West Hollywood. 30 minutes from everywhere. Would also airbnb instead of hotel
Lol! You mean at least 30 minutes to the 101, 10, or 405 and THEN 30 minutes anywhere else.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 PM

22 posts, read 9,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Mile native View Post

I stated that it has a character and history all its own, hence I acknowledge that it's nothing like those areas you mentioned. I wasn't suggesting OP necessarily visit sites within Pasadena. It IS centrally located in GREATER LOS ANGELES (I didn't say in the CITY of LA), because it is only a 10 minute drive from DTLA, or just a hop on the Metro Gold Line light rail that gets from Pasadena to DTLA in 30 minutes & includes a stop by Southwest Museum (and Heritage Square) in Highland Park, Chinatown stop, a Union Station stop, and a Little Tokyo stop. Pasadena FEELS like a world unto itself but it is NOT literally far away from any of those areas you said.

Also, you mentioned "Coastal Orange County," and actually Pasadena is closer in driving distance (or train-time) to Coastal Orange County than any of the areas you mentioned. Plus I specifically mentioned Huntington Beach and Newport Beach in my post. Obviously you didn't bother to read my whole post or you weren't actually paying attention to what you were reading in it. So don't laugh so hard.

Pasadena itself isn't my favorite area either (even though it's my hometown), and it can indeed be described as "a sleepy suburb," but it does have a certain charm about it, and actually it has more than "strip malls" - in fact there are lots of red-brick and Victorian residential and commercial buildings that date as far back as the mid-1800's, and The Huntington in neighboring San Marino is actually an amazing attraction. Also I just figured Pasadena is a safe, comfortable HUB. I'm not sure why you're being so randomly condescending. I also honestly suspect you're not actually from Southern California, because no one here would ever refer to Pasadena as "the Valley" since "the Valley" refers to the San Fernando Valley and NOT the San Gabriel Valley which is many miles away from it.

I agree that DTLA itself would be a great place to stay in (and obviously explore) but my argument about time spent in traffic there IF planning to spend a lot of time outside of DTLA is valid, but then again if they're using public transportation in general then that's not an issue.

Long Beach is also a good choice actually though it is fairly out-of-the-way from West LA.

I disagree with the poster who said that a car is absolutely needed for a tourist. The beach cities also have public transportation; for instance from DTLA one gets on the Expo Line to Santa Monica, then on the 534 bus line that spans along PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in beautiful Malibu; in fact one can enjoy Malibu's scenery better than if they were focused on driving and traffic, and they can just get off at whatever stop they please without worrying about parking. I speak from experience, as I took my cousins who were visiting from overseas to Malibu for a day from (further than Pasadena) FULLERTON on public transportation. Hopped on the Metrolink from Fullerton Station, got to Union Station in 30 minutes, took a quick subway line to the Expo line, took the 534 bus from near Expo station in Santa Monica to Duke's Malibu restaurant (oceanfront) for lunch, hopped back on the 534 for beautiful drive to Paradise Cove Beach Cafe (also in Malibu) for dinner and lounging on the beach. Repeated the journey backwards to Fullerton and enjoyed ourselves in the process. With a little online planning (I use Google Maps for public transport directions), it's very easy. True that it might not be EVERYONE'S cup of tea, but it's certainly an alternative to consider that in my honest opinion is much more relaxed than being stuck in rush-hour traffic or trying not to get lost driving on unknown streets (I know what all THAT feels like too since I'm often a passenger in a car).

Last edited by paperinopazzo; 05-16-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 05:41 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,354,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lol! You mean at least 30 minutes to the 101, 10, or 405 and THEN 30 minutes anywhere else.
You must be that slow driver i blow by all the time ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles