U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 516 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting LA on our way to a wedding in San Francisco. We plan on staying for 4 days. I am so confused were to stay. We are looking to do the typical tourist stuff. What is the most reasonably priced, nicest, central area to stay?.. And any hotel recommendations would be wonderful. I am spending hours reading on line what to do and only get more and more confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey to la View Post
My husband and I are visiting LA on our way to a wedding in San Francisco. We plan on staying for 4 days. I am so confused were to stay. We are looking to do the typical tourist stuff. What is the most reasonably priced, nicest, central area to stay?.. And any hotel recommendations would be wonderful. I am spending hours reading on line what to do and only get more and more confused
Doesn't exist. Unlike SF where you can stay in say Union Square and walk a whole lot of places and take public transit elsewhere, Los Angeles is really spread out. Hollywood, Santa Monica/Venice/Malibu, Disneyland, Downtown, OC beaches.....all this stuff is substantially far from each other. It takes 45 min to an hour to get to any of those from each other except Hollywood to Downtown(which can still take 30+ minutes in traffic).

I suggest staying near where you like and drive to other attractions, budgeting sufficient time.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 AM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,288 posts, read 1,617,161 times
Try tripadvisor forums. If you do, come up with a loose itinerary, price for hotel per night (taxes and car parking adds up).
Here on CD forums it is more for people asking for relocation and mostly current social issues on this site.

But if you dont want to use tripadvisor, when picking a place in LA thing of places you want to go, and see on a map where most of the places you want to go are generally located and find a hotel in that area.
Example if you want to spend a lot of time at beaches, then Santa Monica might be good.
Example if you plan doing lots of Hollywood stuff like TV shows, Studio tours, Universal, Celebrity home tours, then saying in Hollywood might be good.
Traffic is bad in LA so limiting your driving by staying where most places you want to go is advisable. Some people want to stay near Disneyland for a week but commute doing all the way to LA sights 4 or 5 days. Nope, not a good idea.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 AM

22 posts, read 9,394 times
I recommend Pasadena. It has 4-star hotels at mid-range nightly rates. It's a very nice place with its own character and history, but most importantly it's very centrally located to a lot of attractions in general in Greater LA. It's only a 10-minute freeway drive to Downtown LA, 25 minutes from Hollywood, 40 minutes from Malibu, 50 minutes from Huntington Beach, 1 hour from Newport Beach, 40 minutes to Disneyland (and another 10 minutes from Disneyland to Knott's Berry Farm) [as examples of reference].

There are plenty of hotels to choose from in Pasadena, but to name some I'd look into Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles/Pasadena Old Town, Sheraton Pasadena Hotel, Hilton Pasadena, Sheraton Pasadena Hotel, The Westin Pasadena.

Source: I'm from Pasadena, born and raised.

You could of course stay at a hotel in Downtown LA (for an absolutely different experience), but personally I would stay in Pasadena and just drive the 10 minutes to visit Downtown LA simply because IF you wind up spending more time visiting places outside of DTLA then you'd needlessly be adding a LOT of extra street-traffic time to get in and out of DTLA and logistically planning and navigating your way.

Staying in Hollywood would put you needlessly too far away from Orange County (if you're visiting OC). Anywhere in West LA County would be even further and have much more expensive to rates. Of course there are numerous other areas, cities, and attractions going in all different directions (it's no wonder you got confused!), but none of them would make any sense logistically as far as the want for a general central location you mentioned (smart idea imho).

But on the other hand, if you prefer to build your itinerary around a specific area within Greater LA, or at least one where you’ll spend most of your time, makes sense to stay in a hotel in that specific area as the previous posts said. But if you’re itinerary mostly or completely involves traveling within a much larger radius then I’d go with the Pasadena option. Greater LA really encompasses an enormous area; I’d definitely utilize Google Maps in your itinerary and hotel decision.

Last edited by paperinopazzo; 05-16-2018 at 01:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 AM

2,700 posts, read 5,019,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinopazzo View Post
Staying in Hollywood would put you needlessly too far away from Orange County (if you're visiting OC).
I would not stay in Hollywood,its one of the last places to look for a hotel. However Hollywood is 32 miles to Anaheim and Pasadena is 34 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Anah...34.0928092!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Anah...34.1477849!3e0

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey to la View Post
How much do you want to spend? Do you mind driving everywhere or do you want a location that you can walk out your door and do stuff? Is going to theme parks like the mouse place in Anaheim important to you? Would you like to see the LA city and explore different ethnic foods or is being close to the beach important?

If you want to explore downtown LA by walking and take the Gold line train to Pasadena consider the Best Western Dragon Gate on Hill St. in Chinatown. That location has a walk score of 97.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/best-wester...nn-los-angeles

If you stay downtown you can get around for 50 cents a ride on the Dash bus.

https://www.ladottransit.com/dash/ro...n/downtown.pdf

If you want to stay near the ocean this is a possible choice.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...-redondo-beach

But I might stay here instead since I like easy free parking and a refrigerator in the room.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...redondo-beach/

If you have a huge budget and want to stay somewhere iconic there is the Beverly Hills Hotel!

https://www.dorchestercollection.com...y-hills-hotel/

Old 05-16-2018, 01:59 PM

309 posts, read 192,497 times
What if you stayed in three different places? Stay near Santa Monica / Venice for a touristy beach thing for a day or two. You can stay near Hollywood Blvd another night. Stay near Disneyland the last night? That will get you different touristy experiences.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:47 PM

7,871 posts, read 4,900,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
What if you stayed in three different places? Stay near Santa Monica / Venice for a touristy beach thing for a day or two. You can stay near Hollywood Blvd another night. Stay near Disneyland the last night? That will get you different touristy experiences.
This is a good idea. Going back and forth to a "central" hotel that isn't really central and subjects you to extra driving won't add anything to your trip. Maybe pick two locations and stay in each for two days. You can't see "all the touristy stuff" in LA in four days anyway, so whittle it down to what really sounds most appealing to you, and find hotels close by.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 PM

506 posts, read 368,059 times
I would stay in Pasadena, like another poster suggested. There are reasonably priced hotels on Colorado a little walk away from Old Pasadena.

I would also suggest just ditching the car, for the most part. Pasadena has 5 Gold Line stops, which goes on to East LA (stops in Little Tokyo), and you can connect at Union Station; the Red Line will take you to DTLA where you can connect with the Expo to Santa Monica and Expo Park, or keep on for Hollywood/Universal/North Hollywood. The Purple Line will take you to Koreatown.

You can reasonably hit the major tourist spots (in Central LA) without getting in a car, which will save you money (and sanity) on parking and traffic. When I visited LA for the first time before moving, I did so without a car and just used the subway and light rail (and the occasional bus) to get around.

https://www.metro.net/

Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM

22 posts, read 9,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I would stay in Pasadena, like another poster suggested. There are reasonably priced hotels on Colorado a little walk away from Old Pasadena.

I would also suggest just ditching the car, for the most part. Pasadena has 5 Gold Line stops, which goes on to East LA (stops in Little Tokyo), and you can connect at Union Station; the Red Line will take you to DTLA where you can connect with the Expo to Santa Monica and Expo Park, or keep on for Hollywood/Universal/North Hollywood. The Purple Line will take you to Koreatown.

You can reasonably hit the major tourist spots (in Central LA) without getting in a car, which will save you money (and sanity) on parking and traffic. When I visited LA for the first time before moving, I did so without a car and just used the subway and light rail (and the occasional bus) to get around.

https://www.metro.net/
100% agreed. I'm a life-long local who likes to explore different parts and places in Greater LA whenever possible (since there's some of everything and one can never run out of new places to discover even living here), and I choose not to drive because I honestly believe my life is happier because of that decision. Greater LA is very much interlinked by the Metro system, including the Metrolink trains that run northward to Santa Barbara (including stops in Oxnard and Ventura), southward to Oceanside, eastside to Perris (and beyond) in Riverside County, etcetera; and I'll add that Downtown LA proper is a sprawling area (subdivided into districts) with numerous frequent public transportation options like the aforementioned subways and light rails, but also many bus lines, and even Metro electric bikes for rent from numerous stations.

Within the dense urbanity of Downtown LA, although there IS definitely a lot of street traffic, there's an equal amount of pedestrian (sidewalk) traffic, so these public transportation options are of course very much utilized. Outside of Downtown LA, given that many people commute very long distances from home to work, and there are many (much less tourist-worthy) areas with FAR less public transportation options (just buses running infrequently taking all day to get from one place to another what with traffic lights and all), it's understandable that outside of Downtown LA, most people choose to drive. (Myself fortunately I work very near to where I live so that's why I have the other option.) This is a slightly random tangent, but bottom line is as a visitor you won't have any problems using public transportation, and most of the areas with very little public transportation are places you (probably) wouldn't care to visit anyways.

Last edited by paperinopazzo; 05-16-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,351,793 times
West Hollywood. 30 minutes from everywhere. Would also airbnb instead of hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles