U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 2,503,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastwestcoast1126 View Post
Ty! It sounds lovely, however it seems a little far/secluded from all the action of the beach strip/DLTA/weho etc...or do they have their own scene? I have friends in Brentwood, playa Del Rey and weho and feel like I would be out in the boonies a little bit.
Well, as you'll learn, LA is a BIG place. If you're at the beach, you're secluded from Weho & DTLA and vice versa. Even Brentwood to Weho isn't a fun drive. But you're right, Woodland Hills is sort of "out there". I solve the problem by keeping a boat in Marina del Rey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:35 PM

626 posts, read 644,919 times
You can find what you are looking for in your budget in MDR and Culver City, but you should be aware that pretty much anywhere on the Westside it’s hard to completely avoid some impacts from homelessness, whether it’s excrement and needles on the pavements, campers and RVs parking in residential areas, people begging (sometimes aggressively) outside supermarkets, etc. But some areas definitely have less of that than others.

It’s also hard to avoid noise from the airport, although it’s generally not particularly intrusive unless you are in Playa Del Rey or Westchester. Overcast weather conditions will amplify the noise considerably, as will onshore winds (forces takeoffs over Inglewood, instead of the usual over ocean departure). Also take care if you are looking in parts of Culver City, as recent FAA changes have concentrated noise along certain corridors.

If it were me, I’d be focusing on the area bounded by Lincoln on the west, Venice Blvd to the north, Culver Blvd to the south, and Centinela to the east. You can walk to a lot of what you are seeking, especially around Washington Blvd. Plenty of new construction apartments/condos (I’m assuming you are talking about the newer complexes around Glencoe, Mindanao, etc?), but I wouldn’t rule out some of the older places either.

The other place I’d look at is the parts of West LA that are adjacent to Santa Monica, specifically the area bounded by Bundy to the west, Wilshire to the north, Sepulveda or even Westwood to the East, and Olympic to the south. Lots of apartments/condos/townhouses, you’ll get more bang for your buck, you can walk to everything you are looking for (except the beach), a good mix of people, access to freeways, good access to expo line and buses.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM

626 posts, read 644,919 times
Re the West LA area I suggested, I meant to say east of Centinela, not east of Bundy.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM

459 posts, read 553,445 times
Don't overlook E. Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach. Spend an afternoon perusing Shoreline Village. https://shorelinevillage.com You may also want to consider Belmont Shore, or Belmont Heights. However, the commute is not for the faint of heart. For me it was worth the drive. I lived on Ocean Blvd. for most of my adult life. Driving distance to MDR via 405 is around 45 minutes.

I liked the strong sense of community, fascinating history, and the close proximity of the ocean. Who doesn't like walking across the street to the beach and viewing the ocean from your front window? That, and the farmer's market makes the driving distance more palatable. https://www.tripsavvy.com/things-to-...-beach-1587010

Here's something within your budget. I don't know about your furry little family, but I'm certain that many places will accept pets. https://www.lyon1900ocean.com/?utm_s...ign=1900-ocean

Crime, homelessness, and urban decay are by-products of all older cities, but, the positives overshadow these things.

Anyway, spend an afternoon and evening at the Long Beach Marina. It's a pleasant way to spend the day. Take a look at 1900 Ocean. Coming home will be like a little holiday.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:51 AM

7 posts, read 4,063 times
Thank you!! I’ve spent time in Long Beach (marched in a parade along ocean) and didn’t necessarily like the area. The park along the beach is cute, but the beaches had these weird views of an industrial park. And a weird crowd of almost all older families. I also didn’t get the vibe of upscale shopping, urban nightlife etc. I wonder if I didn’t explore the right area. The apartment complex looks lovely so I will look more into it.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 PM

459 posts, read 553,445 times
You're welcome! Long Beach is an acquired taste. The weird industrial parks are actually a network of pipes, tanks, and drilling rigs enhanced with waterfalls and bright colors that are illuminated at night.

I think Huntington Beach would suit you. Still the quintessential beach city in spite of all the recent developments along PCH. Not likely you'll see many (weird older families.) I know exactly what you're referring to. Probably Huntington Beach has everything you're looking for. Safe and beautiful. I have cousins that have lived there happily for many years. Only thing I find objectionable is the overcrowding. Upside is that it is overcrowded with good-looking polite people.

I don't know about the ocean view, but this looks like something you'd find pleasing. https://www.udr.com/orange-county-ap...t-bella-terra/

Hope you find what you're looking for. Don't give up until you find your place on the beach. You'll be happier and much healthier. Your dog will thank you.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM

1,363 posts, read 874,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
You can find what you are looking for in your budget in MDR and Culver City, but you should be aware that pretty much anywhere on the Westside it’s hard to completely avoid some impacts from homelessness, whether it’s excrement and needles on the pavements, campers and RVs parking in residential areas, people begging (sometimes aggressively) outside supermarkets, etc. But some areas definitely have less of that than others.

It’s also hard to avoid noise from the airport, although it’s generally not particularly intrusive unless you are in Playa Del Rey or Westchester. Overcast weather conditions will amplify the noise considerably, as will onshore winds (forces takeoffs over Inglewood, instead of the usual over ocean departure). Also take care if you are looking in parts of Culver City, as recent FAA changes have concentrated noise along certain corridors.

If it were me, I’d be focusing on the area bounded by Lincoln on the west, Venice Blvd to the north, Culver Blvd to the south, and Centinela to the east. You can walk to a lot of what you are seeking, especially around Washington Blvd. Plenty of new construction apartments/condos (I’m assuming you are talking about the newer complexes around Glencoe, Mindanao, etc?), but I wouldn’t rule out some of the older places either.
I second all of this, but I'm going to bump it to Grand View/Inglewood, going East. There are a lot of restaurant and bars tucked into those additional few blocks, as well as the Mar Vista Farmers market, which is a great spot on Sundays.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:45 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
...and that minor detail, the ocean.
General rule of thumb in Southern California:

No bums, No beaches, No traffic: $
No bums, No beaches, Traffic: $$
Bums, Beaches, Traffic: $$$
No Bums, Beaches, No Traffic: $$$$

Old 05-22-2018, 11:05 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,352,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
General rule of thumb in Southern California:

No bums, No beaches, No traffic: $
No bums, No beaches, Traffic: $$
Bums, Beaches, Traffic: $$$
No Bums, Beaches, No Traffic: $$$$
This should be made a sticky. Very well explained

Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,604,195 times
I know you said that Brentwood is too residential, but in reality there is a lot going on along San Vicente. Plus it is more central than the beach cities which is very conducive to a healthy dating scene. I'd recommend the area between San Vicente and Wilshire, between Barrington & Bundy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or