U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:26 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,606,340 times

Advertisements

Since you mentioned Santa Monica, an area that I really like which would be less expensive is the mid-city area of Santa Monica around Wilshire/23rd St. It should be cheaper than the area by the beach and the homeless problem is lower than Downtown SM. I like it because there are a lot of practical things to walk to (ie, grocery store, casual food, restaurants, coffee, bars, a park).

A fancy new apartment building is going up at Wilshire/23rd, not sure how close to completion it is though. It'll be a 4 or 5-story apartment building with ground floor retail. Naturally with new construction comes higher rents, but your budget is pretty reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:00 AM

7 posts, read 4,069 times
Thanks @seadory. I think I need to spend a little more time in Newport and Huntington Beach.

@ryanst530 — well summarized!!

@subprimetime I will definitely look around that area of Brentwood since I know block by block can be different

Old 05-28-2018, 04:39 PM

459 posts, read 554,048 times
If it is at all possible you should consider staying in a hotel on PCH. Either Huntington Beach or Newport would be perfect. Wander around—go down to the water's edge. Splash around. Talk to the locals, shop...you know what to do.

Check out the restaurants at Fashion Island in Newport! There's your high-end shopping. You're going to have Fun, fun, fun. Oh! don't forget Balboa. I haven't been there in years. https://www.visitnewportbeach.com/ac...lboa-fun-zone/ When your family and friends visit from N.Y. you can drop them off at the Fun Zone!

There are plenty of nice places to live in. Either Huntington or Newport will suit you fine. Just a matter of finding the right fit for you. Will not be hard to find something within your price range. And get as close the water as you can.

Good luck! Enjoy your life.

Last edited by Seadory; 05-28-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 04:57 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,395,086 times
OP I live in Santa Monica and it is exactly what your looking for in terms of amenities and walk ability. I can walk to the third street promenade from my place. The homeless people tend to hang out at the tourist traps so as a resident you won’t really see them if you avoid those areas. MDR and Brentwood are nice but you will be beyond walking distance to shopping, food and amenities which might feel isolating.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 4,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
OP I live in Santa Monica and it is exactly what your looking for in terms of amenities and walk ability. I can walk to the third street promenade from my place. The homeless people tend to hang out at the tourist traps so as a resident you won’t really see them if you avoid those areas. MDR and Brentwood are nice but you will be beyond walking distance to shopping, food and amenities which might feel isolating.
Thx much. Do you happen to have recommendations for managed apartment complexes with pools, etc in the SM area? Do you think 3k or less is realistic for a 1br?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,395,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastwestcoast1126 View Post
Thx much. Do you happen to have recommendations for managed apartment complexes with pools, etc in the SM area? Do you think 3k or less is realistic for a 1br?
I don’t, they do exist but most of the rentals in SM are older buildings where you deal directly with the landlord or their staff. You should see all of the newer buildings on Craigslist and Westside Rentals. Most of them are in the downtown SM area and/or in the areas surrounding the Promenade. That area is definitely very walkable with the amenities you’re looking for. I believe NMS Properties has some newer buildings in SM which you can see on their website. Just FYI, if you plan to be here for 5+ years you might consider getting an older unit that is rent controlled (new stuff won’t have rent control.) I’ve been in my place for 5 1/2 years and rent control is saving me $150-200/mo. You can get a pretty nice 1BR with parking for $3k but I’m not sure if that’s enough to get into a newer professionally managed building. If you’re flexible on the newer professionally managed building thing you should be able to find a very nice, and charming, updated older unit with granite counter tops, SS appliances and washer/dryer in unit with assigned parking for $2500-3000/mo.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 05-30-2018 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or