Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,541 times

Advertisements

I have scoured forums and threads, but want current opinions on my pending move to MDR (or potentially another area of LA). So here goes my first post!!

Me: early 30s single woman originally from NYC, moved to SF five years ago to enjoy all of the wonderful things the Pacific Coast has to offer -- sunshine, palm trees, scenery, weather. I was in a high rise condo in Pacific Heights/Cow Hollow for my first four years and then moved to Silicon Valley where I am fairly unhappy and wanting to try LA life. Though I love living in a luxury apartment complex with all the amenities I could dream of (granite countertops, new appliances, hardwood floors, pools, jacuzzis, common spaces, palm trees everywhere, yadda yadda) and have wonderful weather here, it's pretty socially desolate. The sprawl is real and my neighborhood is non-existent. Tend to feel that I'm surrounded by techies that prefer to keep to themselves...lots of nerdy types in hoodies carrying backpacks. My particular complex is comprised of Asian/Indian immigrant communities (most seem to have strong networks/family here already), and a smaller, more diverse group of people who are born and raised in the area, and already have established social circles. Very few singles living solo. So, I'm feeling a little left out I guess. I made many best friends in SF, all transplants, but hated the fog/gloom of the city, the homeless/violence/filth issues getting worse -- plus the rent is just insane and I never felt like I'd be getting bang for my buck.

What I'm looking for: a beautiful and safe area where I can walk to a grocery store, convenience store, barre studio, soulcycle or equivalent, yoga studio, some retail shops (ideally some high-end stuff), a few casual takeout eateries and a few restaurants. An area where I can rent a 1br with all the bells + whistles in a big managed complex, new construction, for max $3k with parking included (this would be impossible in SF but from what I've seen...not in LA). Vibrant streets, stuff to do. Dog park or green space nearby where my little pup can run free. Professional/social/outgoing men and women, maybe a decent 30s 40s singles scene? In case you're wondering, I'll have flexibility to work from home the vast majority of the time, though I'd like shoot into our offices downtown and in Playa Vista off hours (outside rush hour) from time to time.

What I know doesn't work: I have been to LA about a dozen times. Always wanted to move to Santa Monica, but my last visit there, I was disappointed -- a lot of homeless and crazy people walking around. Plus, it's expensive as hell now! Venice is way too gritty for me. Bev Hills and Brentwood seem too residential, not enough happening. Have been to Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan and liked Manhattan the best of those, although could not picture living there. Have not been to Playa Vista (but heard it's super noisy because of the planes), MDR or Culver City. Someone else recommended Beverly Grove or Miracle Mile but don't know anything about them. Not a Hollywood type of gal. WeHo is fun, not sure if living there would be fun too. DTLA doesn't do much for me. I know it's up and coming, but still seems like it's missing some soul.

Sidenote: am also thinking of Newport/OC for my next move as I know it's incredibly safe and gorgeous there. San Diego was on the list of possibilities as well. However...I'm worried I will be bored to death, and I really want to be in proximity of a major airport since I fly to and from NYC a lot to see family.

Experts...does MDR along Lincoln ave sound like a good place for me? Where do you recommend? Is my budget realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
i would recommend the miracle mile/fairfax area as well.

It has a weird sense of affluence while still being completely urban, so you get the clinilness that you won't find in many other places around LA.

Or you know you could just move to Santa Monica, I go to the beach everyday, and it never ceases to make me happy with the beauty.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
If your trying to get away from the filthy homeless population and trying to find a place where people will speak with you and that is also close to the beach i recommend Huntington Beach/Balboa/Newport. Seems to me people in Orange County are a lot more reasonable in their thinking

If the beach is not a priority (and you want to save money) Burbank/Sherman Oaks/Woodland Hills is where I would settle

You need a place with Republican representation if you want to get away from the homeless bum crapping on your front step. In LA proper they are worshipped like sacred cows .... they can do no wrong it appears to me

Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 AM

@sean1the1 thanks -- is that area pretty walk friendly in your opinion? I see that a lot of apt buildings seem to be going up in that neighborhood. I do love SM...but aren't seeing complexes in my price point. I will keep looking!

@901 -- I've been down to Irvine, La Jolla, SD, Laguna -- but somehow never really made it to Newport or Balboa. Or Huntington. Maybe I should put on my list.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastwestcoast1126 View Post
...does MDR along Lincoln ave sound like a good place for me? Where do you recommend?
Other threads about Marina del Rey: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...y-working.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...r-burbank.html

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Do you have to live in a beach community? If not, then I'd recommend the area where I live here: Studio City / Sherman Oaks - Encino/ Toluca Lake / Universal City...basically the south San Fernando Valley.

It has everything you want sans the large homeless population.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Take a look at Warner Center in Woodland Hills. Tons of brand new luxury apartments within your budget, lots of high-end shopping, very walkable. From where I live I can walk to the brand new gym, yoga studios, movie theater, mall or grocery store within 10-15 minutes. There's a very large park for your pooch and in the summer they have concerts every Sunday. You can be at the beach in 20 minutes down Topanga Canyon. It's very nice IMO.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Do you have to live in a beach community? If not, then I'd recommend the area where I live here: Studio City / Sherman Oaks - Encino/ Toluca Lake / Universal City...basically the south San Fernando Valley.

It has everything you want sans the large homeless population.
...and that minor detail, the ocean.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Thanks @CA4now — great info on those threads too.
@kttam186290 that area just seems so far from everything but I know LA is really spread out. I would love to be a bit closer to the water.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Take a look at Warner Center in Woodland Hills. Tons of brand new luxury apartments within your budget, lots of high-end shopping, very walkable. From where I live I can walk to the brand new gym, yoga studios, movie theater, mall or grocery store within 10-15 minutes. There's a very large park for your pooch and in the summer they have concerts every Sunday. You can be at the beach in 20 minutes down Topanga Canyon. It's very nice IMO.
Ty! It sounds lovely, however it seems a little far/secluded from all the action of the beach strip/DLTA/weho etc...or do they have their own scene? I have friends in Brentwood, playa Del Rey and weho and feel like I would be out in the boonies a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles