Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,454 times

Advertisements

hey!was wondring if anyone could help me? I'm from Ireland, a student and I'm wanting to go to LA, preferably Santa Monica, for the summer. I've been trying to find places where I could apply for a job for the duration of my stay as I need this secured before getting a VISA, but I haven't been able to as I need to provide an address and zip-code to register!would anyone know any direct ways of contacting businesses in Santa Monica, like e-mail addresses or something, as I'm running out of time to get a visa for this summer? I have loads of experience as a waitress in resturants and have worked in hotels as a restaurant superviser before. I'm open to doing differen jobs too though and have experience working in department stores! If you coul help me at all that would be great!!!Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
do an internet search for o'brien's pub in santa monica. i'm nearly certain that the owner is irish and i know that people tend to help their own. maybe you could email them and let him know your situation. who knows, maybe they'll help you out. there are actually a hand full of irish pubs in the area, maybe go to citysearch.com and check with the others as well.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
I hate to be a killjoy but you'd be better off trying to come here under a student visa. People who do the job you have experience in are a dime a dozen. Unless they've changed things, I think there has to be a shortage of Americans who don't qualify or are unwilling to do the job to come on a work visa. I could be wrong. Try BR's suggestion, maybe an Irish Pub can argue that you are uniquely qualified because you'll lend authenticity to the place. There's an Irish pub called Molly Malone's on Fairfax. Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 AM

56 posts, read 182,582 times
Hi Dara,
I'm in the same situation,
but I'm gonna find a job when I get there
Do you already have a place to stay?
because I'm looking for something in Santa monica,
let me know if you need some roommates
Iwona
ikrasucka@yahoo.com

Old 04-22-2008, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,454 times
I'm going with three friends but i'm sure we'd have room for 1 more!see the thing is, you can't get a visa that allows you to work without having already arranging a job - they actually won't give you a visa!!It's so annoying!!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:02 PM

Well,
there is 2 of us, I'm going with boyfriend
We are going with work and travel programm and we will get visas without having a job before we get there
It's a programm for foreign students,
but we have to find a job and call CIEE organization to tell them the name of employer. If we will have trouble to find any, they have to help us

best

Old 04-22-2008, 05:22 PM

10 posts, read 34,130 times
Are you going through the SWAP program? I was going to go to LA on a similar work travel program from Canada.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM

it's work and travel program
I dont knoe ehat SWAP is

Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,944 times
Hello,
My name is Anastasia.I am student from Russia and Im comming to SAnta Monika for 4 mon.
And I am trying to find a job for this time.

If someone can help it would be great!

Thank you

Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM

30 posts, read 65,571 times
A relatively safe place for you guys to work in is the Abbot Kinney area, which is near Santa Monica/Venice Beach. Because of the summer, LOADS of people will be flocking to Venice and the surrounding beach cities and Abbot Kinney sits a few blocks away from the coastline.

Abbot Kinney - Restaurants - Venice, CA - Shops - Art Galleries - Spas - Furniture

Also, because you're out of state/country, you'll have a higher chance of being hired on Abbot Kinney, which is a super hipster/modern/shabby chic area that really digs anything different than the casual Californian. Check out the website and email the stores that you're interested in. Also, tell me if you get any results! I'd love to hear that you get a job over in Abbot Kinney!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles