Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM

237 posts, read 411,401 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
What is working in and living a reasonable commute to El Segundo like?

Some things that look like red flags to me are the presence of LAX, the Hyperion Waste Water Treatment plant, the oil field, and it's proximity to South Central. Have also heard there are cancer clusters near the Port of Long Beach?

Anyone have any insight or experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Hi All,
What is working in and living a reasonable commute to El Segundo like?

Some things that look like red flags to me are the presence of LAX, the Hyperion Waste Water Treatment plant, the oil field, and it's proximity to South Central. Have also heard there are cancer clusters near the Port of Long Beach?

Anyone have any insight or experience?
Look on a map, figure out actual mileage, come back and ask your question again (hint, places you've noted are 10-20 miles away from El Segundo).

Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
Well, I would say do not move here because LAX is close and we are close to it but IT does not bother us. We have good Milgard windows. As for Chevron - my husband ties up the oil tankers off of El Segundo for Chevron (30 yrs) and has yet to get cancer NOR has there been an oil spill. He is a Tug Captain/Crew Chief and one of the best. Hawthorne Airport is close by as well and yet people are complaining. DON'T MOVE TO AREAS if all you will do is complain. LAX has been there for years and is not going anywhere ...same with Chevron Oil who GIVES back to the community always.

We live right up against the 405 northbound freeway but again we knew what we were doing when we bought my husband's family home. We lived in Redondo Beach for years and rented. People will never be happy. We are content - I'm 65 and my husband is 57 and we take one day at a time...no cancer knock on wood. You can't be so afraid. Housing is EXPENSIVE in the South Bay. Even where we are it has gone up because of the new Wiseburn High School.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:53 PM

109 posts, read 204,680 times
That's tough due to many variables but having lived in the area no one really gives much thought to the refinery or Hyperion. Well, I take that back a little, from time to time there is concern about things related to the refinery. For example there's a development called 360 where day and and day out there are trucks at all hours of the day hauling waste materials from the refinery to the ports or somewheres about. They create quite a bit of noise and pollution when going past 360 so there's that. Oh and there's homeless people around the freeway off and on, and the further east you go especially past the 405 it gets ghetto.

As for LAX I'd say most people are just used to it. More recently it's actually the Hawthorne airport that's creating more air traffic and getting some folks up in arms. I dunno, I mean it's expensive for what you get in return whether in a nice part or the more ghetto parts. The traffic is abysmal, but you already knew that. A lot of wazers going through side streets within vicinity of the 405 so that's something to keep in mind.

OTOH the El Segundo plaza area off of Sepulveda is pretty good for shopping and dining.

If you're really concerned about hazards, I'd offer that the military industrial complex near Del Aire is something to think about although they just built a high school right in the middle of it.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:47 AM

121 posts, read 155,014 times
I left my wallet there once.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM

237 posts, read 411,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
That's tough due to many variables but having lived in the area no one really gives much thought to the refinery or Hyperion. Well, I take that back a little, from time to time there is concern about things related to the refinery. For example there's a development called 360 where day and and day out there are trucks at all hours of the day hauling waste materials from the refinery to the ports or somewheres about. They create quite a bit of noise and pollution when going past 360 so there's that. Oh and there's homeless people around the freeway off and on, and the further east you go especially past the 405 it gets ghetto.

As for LAX I'd say most people are just used to it. More recently it's actually the Hawthorne airport that's creating more air traffic and getting some folks up in arms. I dunno, I mean it's expensive for what you get in return whether in a nice part or the more ghetto parts. The traffic is abysmal, but you already knew that. A lot of wazers going through side streets within vicinity of the 405 so that's something to keep in mind.

OTOH the El Segundo plaza area off of Sepulveda is pretty good for shopping and dining.

If you're really concerned about hazards, I'd offer that the military industrial complex near Del Aire is something to think about although they just built a high school right in the middle of it.
What's a "wazer"?

LAX itself doesn't bother me. Or at least the aircraft noise doesn't. Used to work in aerospace... we had a bumper sticker... "I like jet noise", LOL!

Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM

109 posts, read 204,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
What's a "wazer"?
Commuters who use waze to shortcut through your neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:04 PM

238 posts, read 555,712 times
I work in El Segundo, live in the "360" mentioned above. There is traffic around here though because of being new (2 months) haven't zoned in on why yet. However isn't the refinery near the coast, where, er, the ports would be also? 360 is perhaps 3.5 to 4 miles east of the water.

Now I know the Chevron train goes past here daily, seems like an average of once in, once out per day. Haven't noticed pollution resulting from that.

Anyone in the know please elucidate.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:00 PM

459 posts, read 699,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
I left my wallet there once.

Did you get it? Got gota get it?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
El Segundo is a beautiful city but expensive. Very central to shopping and beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles