Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:35 PM

243 posts, read 224,761 times

Advertisements

Just to support your thought.
I've lived in Pasadena my entire life, and while I'm very familiar with almost all of LA, downtown to me always had that "ugh" feeling and based on what people told me, i closed myself to explore DTLA. Yes I will still go to like Staples Center, LA Live, etc...but that's about it.

WELL... Last year, I got a job here in DTLA...and what a surprise it has been. There is so much going on in DTLA... food, bars, events, people just hangin' out is incredible.
YES! The homeless situation is real, and everyday i bump into them, but for me, is still not a strong deterrent to keep me away..

Transit, here within the Downtown area is also really good.
I'm in my late 20s... so I guess to add to the OPs comment, DTLA is definitely very trendy for people our age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Great post . I am hoping to make the move out to LA myself sometime soon.

I live in DC; I first visited in 2010 just for a couple of days, and was blown away by the endless options of lifestyle, food, diversity and things to do that LA offers. Since then, I have visited almost every year, twice last year, was there in April just now and plan to visit again late fall. Not sure what but there is something about LA that makes me feel right at home.

It's been a major struggle trying to find a job though - seems like the market is very saturated, and not having a local LA area address doesn't help either. I am even willing to forego relocation package, as long as I can find a suitable job in the IT Proj Mgmt field.

Fingers crossed, really hoping something works out!

Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Except that there hasn’t been any smog. People not from LA and even people from LA tend to confuse fog/overcast with smog. If it’s yellow or brown, it’s smog. If it’s grey, it’s just overcast.

Really LA’s smoggy days are behind us. Not that we have great air quality but it’s tremendously improved. LA used to have over 100 smog alerts per year in the 60’s but we haven’t had a single one in 30 years. We’ll likely never have another one, unless there’s a massive fire or volcano eruption.
When I have friends visit from Oregon, the first thing they say is how smoggy it is. When it isn't even smog. I've actually researched the different air types that we get *just* so I have some kind of rebuttal

I enjoyed reading the OP's write-up, though! I think it's interesting to see what other's perspectives are, and yours is well-thought out without spewing any stereotypes and insults. I was definitely someone who fell in love immediately with LA when I visited, and noticed the realities of the city once I was living here.

On your next visit (or if you move here before that happens), take a walk around the Historic Core/Fashion District. The architecture of that area is great, I spend most of my time looking up and taking pictures (for instagram ) like I'm still a tourist

Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
When I have friends visit from Oregon, the first thing they say is how smoggy it is. When it isn't even smog. I've actually researched the different air types that we get *just* so I have some kind of rebuttal

I enjoyed reading the OP's write-up, though! I think it's interesting to see what other's perspectives are, and yours is well-thought out without spewing any stereotypes and insults. I was definitely someone who fell in love immediately with LA when I visited, and noticed the realities of the city once I was living here.

On your next visit (or if you move here before that happens), take a walk around the Historic Core/Fashion District. The architecture of that area is great, I spend most of my time looking up and taking pictures (for instagram ) like I'm still a tourist
You never stop discovering LA, it's endless, and always changing sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

I love the architecture and juxtaposition of so many different types and styles. The nooks and crannies of the thousands of neighborhoods.

Great write-up SebastianCalhoun!

Try walking, a lot, not just at the beaches, or in Hollywood, or in downtown, but in the hundreds of districts within thousands of individual neighborhoods. Walk in the flats of Hancock Park, the hills of Silverlake, the cottage homes in the canyons between Santa Monica and Pacific Palisades.

Discover small pockets Giant ficus trees still standing in this concrete jungle -- they give you a glimpse of why millions moved to the Southland when rent was cheap and it really was.

Notice that Giant Ficus tree still standing in the middle of a Hollywood neighborhood. Ficus trees offer the ONLY source of leafy green in this giant urban arid landscape that meets the Cold Pacific.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM

307 posts, read 242,371 times
LA is rarely smoggy these days. I'm thinking you're referring to the Marine Layer- low clouds that come off the pacific ocean. Alot of people get that mixed up. I did as well when I first moved to LA. Also LA is not tourist or visit friendly at all. You'll really get the gist of the city when and if you actually move here. That's when you'll discover the nooks and crannies of the city and metro area. Also bare in mind- I'm assuming you work and will have a job- in that you won't be out searching for new finds, bars, entertainment, etc all day long. You'll be at work maintaining and the exploration of new things will be relegated to certain days of the week. Alot of visitors forget that its "real day-to-day 9-5 life" out here as well. There's people that live in LA that live no differently than someone would in rural middle America. There's people here that never go to the beach, Hollywood, concerts, ballgames, etc.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
Great observations, and it was so refreshing to hear someone say they found LA to be surprisingly unpretentious! I totally agree with you, it’s just not the knee-jerk reaction you usually get on C-D.

LA is a city that can be slow to reveal its charms - which for me is part of its charm.

Yes, the May Gray/June Gloom can emphasize the things you don’t notice so much when it’s sunny. The potholes seem a bit deeper and more frequent, some of the housing looks shabbier, the stores look a bit grimier, it can all seem a bit third world...but wait till later in the year when the mornings are bright and fresh and the evening light washes everything with that incredible sepia tone. It makes it a little easier to be forgiving of the downsides to living here.

There is great architecture here, just sometimes you have to search for it. The LA Conservancy runs great walking tours most weekends (both downtown and other areas) and they also organize screenings of classic films at some of the old movie palaces downtown. Well worth attending.

Your work will mean that you get to check out more of the city than most, enjoy the exploration.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Great observations, and it was so refreshing to hear someone say they found LA to be surprisingly unpretentious! I totally agree with you, it’s just not the knee-jerk reaction you usually get on C-D.

LA is a city that can be slow to reveal its charms - which for me is part of its charm.

Yes, the May Gray/June Gloom can emphasize the things you don’t notice so much when it’s sunny. The potholes seem a bit deeper and more frequent, some of the housing looks shabbier, the stores look a bit grimier, it can all seem a bit third world...but wait till later in the year when the mornings are bright and fresh and the evening light washes everything with that incredible sepia tone. It makes it a little easier to be forgiving of the downsides to living here.

There is great architecture here, just sometimes you have to search for it. The LA Conservancy runs great walking tours most weekends (both downtown and other areas) and they also organize screenings of classic films at some of the old movie palaces downtown. Well worth attending.

Your work will mean that you get to check out more of the city than most, enjoy the exploration.

so you think the sunlight makes everything in LA look newer, less shabby, less third world? Interesting never thought about it that way. Is that what they mean by the sunshine tax of living here?? Good thing we don't have the clouds of N CA and WA. There is some interesting architecture in some pockets of LA like Broadway ave downtown. They are few and far in-between the mini malls and parking structures though.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM

187 posts, read 206,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Great post . I am hoping to make the move out to LA myself sometime soon.

I live in DC; I first visited in 2010 just for a couple of days, and was blown away by the endless options of lifestyle, food, diversity and things to do that LA offers. Since then, I have visited almost every year, twice last year, was there in April just now and plan to visit again late fall. Not sure what but there is something about LA that makes me feel right at home.

It's been a major struggle trying to find a job though - seems like the market is very saturated, and not having a local LA area address doesn't help either. I am even willing to forego relocation package, as long as I can find a suitable job in the IT Proj Mgmt field.

Fingers crossed, really hoping something works out!
If you're looking for a job in IT Project Mgmt, why don't you give the Bay Area a shot? You'll have 100 opportunities smack you in the face the minute you walk off the plane. And it's much closer to take a day trip to LA for interviews, apt hunting, etc. if you still want to make the eventual move to SoCal.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 PM

132 posts, read 132,407 times
It might not be smog, but it's some of the worst air in the country. I'm not hating either, former native here who now flies in regularly from Denver. As soon as you fly over the San Bernardino mountains you see all the brown stuff, fact.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
flies in regularly from Denver
From one polluted city to another, I guess that you should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles