Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Too sleepy?

Wife and I live DTLA, which we really like, but dreaming of a modest *house* that we can call our own. Been at open houses for the better part of a year, which has been promising. Only problem is we can’t spend too much time in the area to understand if it will suffice for our “average” 30yo lifestyle.

We’re not partiers, but like to have a good time at bars on occasion. Big on hiking, driving the canyons, and exploring. Not looking to have kids for 3-5yrs. We enjoy a good unique food joint. We both work in SaMo but cant justify dropping $1.2M on 1000sqft.

Just looking for your candid thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
My wife and I made a similar move from the coastal westside to the valley back in 2011 when we were your age. Besides the summer heat, the valley actually has a lot going for it. All the things that you are interested in are in Woodland Hills or within a short drive. The commute sounds miserable though. Because of the traffic, you'll find yourself going over the hill less frequently as the valley becomes your new home. I couldn't do it, but my commute tolerance is weak. Before making the move, I would try the commute at least once on the same day in the morning and evening. Take your findings and extrapolate out for 250 work days a year.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
Woodland Hills get very hot in summers. Traffic is bad too. Only one freeway in and out, so the streets get packed.

But you have the two big malls there so shopping is very good and are not far from the beach via Topanga Canyon. They are also planning a major mixed use residential and commercial development on the old Lockheed site (think it's Lockheed).

Woodland Hills is okay, but not my cup of tea. I lived there for about 5 years and actually can't stand the place anymore because of the traffic.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
I assume you work in west SaMo and plan to drive Topanga over each day? Its very curvy and can be slow depending on who you get behind. It also closes sometimes or there is an issue on PCH which makes it even worse.

If you can work from home once a week or do some staggered hours, it can be bearable. Keep in mind eventually you will have a family and you want schools to be good, and they are better in nextdoor Calabasas.

You will definitely like the hiking options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles