Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,353 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a 22 year old graduate from college in the east coast moving to L.A. for a new job in the Culver City area and I happen to come across the Green Valley Circle Apartments right next to the Fox Hills mall. How is that area for a single African American male? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,998 times
if living in an area where there is a pretty dense concentration of black people is something that is important to you, fox hills is perfect.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 953,059 times
Mike T, see my earlier post (a few entries down) about the Meadows at Fox Hills in Culver City. The Meadows is on Green Valley Circle. Is there actually a place called Green Calley Circle Apartments? If so, I was unaware of it. I think there were some security problems in the area but anoher poster assures they've been corrected. It sure is a beautiful little area, though, isn't it?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,070 times
As stated, Fox Hills will be an excellent area for a young Black male.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
I'm thinking about moving to Culver City too, since it appears to be the closest "nice" area west of USC. Is Culver City considered a segregated area or is it racially mixed? I'm getting the impression from this forum that LA is extremely segregated into enclaves of "all this group" and "all that group"... which I want to avoid. Is Culver City one of those?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,070 times
No, Culver City is one of the areas that is racially mixed. It's just the area around the Fox Hills Mall that has a high amount of Black people, but those are still beautiful neighborhoods. DM me if you need the backroad directions to USC.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM

186 posts, read 657,381 times
My family lived on Green Valley Circle for six years. We are White and considered the area racially diverse, although with a higher concentration of African Americans than in other Westside cities. My only issue is that this seems to be more of a family area, not a place for young singles. It might, however, be a fine place to launch your L.A. experience.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: Los Angeles, soon to be in Houston or Dallas (undecided on which one)
11 posts, read 40,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT08 View Post
Hi all, I am a 22 year old graduate from college in the east coast moving to L.A. for a new job in the Culver City area and I happen to come across the Green Valley Circle Apartments right next to the Fox Hills mall. How is that area for a single African American male? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would consider areas directly adjacent to the Fox Hills Mall, an excellent place for a young AA male. It is racial diverse, a nice area for family and single lifestyles, literally 5 minutes from Venice & Santa Monica Beaches, a short distance from Beverly Hills, Westwood, and the Beverly Center. A big plus is your within walking distances to the Howard Hughes Center ( Welcome to The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center ) - A great place to shop, catch a movie and a decent meal.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM

276 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Cool Re: FOX HILLS

Hello Mike,

Fox Hills is an excellent location for ANYONE to live.

What used to be called the "Fox Hills" Mall is now the "Westfeld Mall," and is being renovated to add more stores and eating establishments and will be state of the art.

There are banks in the area, lot's of shopping on Supelveda/Jefferson and in Westchester which is close to Fox Hills. As someone else mentioned you will be close to the Bridge for shopping/films and eating. If you are into the LAKERS catch a game at on the Border or even Islands during their happy hour.

You are close to the Marina (have the added benefit of a nice breeze from the Marina) and under 10 minutes to LAX and the so Bay cities (El Segundo, Manhattan, etc.)

The mix in Fox Hills is diverse, close to Ladera Heights where there is about 70% African American. You will be close to million dollar homes, upwardly mobile, educated "human beings" from entertainers, actors. professional athletes, news casters, college professors, school principals, city officials, ministers of mega churches, stock brokers, bankers, real estate brokers, doctors (many), dentist, and this is just the mix on my street!

You are walking distance to the Fox Hills Park, and there is a Wells Fargo right on the corner from the park. I have friends who own apartments/condos buildings on Canterbury and Green Valley.

You will be close to Culver City. Just s short drive up Playa to Overland and you will be right at Sony Studios and in the heart of CC.

The area is a very decent and beautiful area for ANYONE to live or work.

Let me know how it goes after you settle in, and good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Culver City too, since it appears to be the closest "nice" area west of USC. Is Culver City considered a segregated area or is it racially mixed? I'm getting the impression from this forum that LA is extremely segregated into enclaves of "all this group" and "all that group"... which I want to avoid. Is Culver City one of those?
here's what i see:

in those parts of LA metro where whites are the predominant group, you'll find a mix of others in varying degrees. this might range from just a smattering of non-whites of all stripes (that one might not necessarily notice unless one spent some time in the area), to a very visible presence of either an ethnic amalgam, or a single minority group. to give an example of the last: i'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that beverly hills is a majority-white city; however, what might surprise someone who hasn't been there in the last 10-20 years is that you couldn't spend ten minutes there and miss the fact that there is a significant persian minority. the same could be said for the community of hancock park, with regard to koreans. however, you'd have to stick around those place for a while to see residents who are neither white, nor persian or korean, respectively.

very few communities in greater LA are all white, in the most literal sense.

the areas where the predominant group is not white tend to operate (for sad lack of a better term!) a little differently, and those differences tend to be dictated by the economic level of the residents.

in poorer inner-city communities, you'll find either a single dominant group or a fairly even mix of two groups (often, black/hispanic; hispanic/asian; or hispanic/immigrant eastern european), perhaps with a smattering of another. similarly-situated native whites are hard to find in such communities. (i believe the question of where they live instead is addressed elsewhere in this forum.)

when these families enter the middle class, they tend to move to either middle-class ethnic enclaves of their own persuasion, or to multi-ethnic communities where no one group is clearly dominant. (culver city is an excellent example.) few middle-class blacks and hispanics will move to areas that are perceived to be "all white," but it appears that their asian counterparts will.

on the whole, i think that people of all ethnicities are welcome to live wherever their budget and taste allow, as long as they conform to the standards of the community. those who for non-economic reasons restrict themselves to places where every second person looks like themselves (or, at least, doesn't look white) say more about their own preferences, prejudices, or perceptions than any objective reality of race relations in LA.

for myself, i honestly can't think of a single place where i would hesitate to live because i worry that the white neighbors won't welcome me. i'm not pretending that i don't understand that my color might give some of the neighbors pause if, for example, i moved to simi valley. (similarly, a white person moving to someplace like inglewood might expect the same response.) however, i think what concerns people most is whether newcomers will fit into the established norms and values of the community. regardless of race, people want neighbors who live like they do: in some communities, that means not "bringing down the neighborhood"; in others, it means not "looking down your nose." that's the only assumption i make about my new neighbors, wherever i go, and i haven't been chased out of a neighborhood yet.

a few caveats:

1) i grew up here and have lived here for most of my adult life, and these are my observations. i didn't look at any statistics; i'm just reporting what i see when i go out of my front door and travel about the city and its environs, and interact with people i know and don't know. yes, i'm generalizing, but that doesn't mean i'm not accurate.

2) when i say i think people are welcome to live whereever they choose, regardless of race or ethnicity, i am disregarding gang territories and their attendant ethnic rivalries. i presuppose that people reading this forum aren't interested in moving into those places.

Last edited by katenik; 03-28-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles