U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,929,193 times

Advertisements

I live and work in Washington DC; I first visited LA in 2010 just for a couple of days, and was blown away by the endless options of lifestyle, food, diversity and things to do that LA offers. Since then, I have visited almost every year, twice last year, was there in April just now and plan to visit again late fall. Not sure what but there is something about LA that is absolutely amazing, and makes me feel right at home.

It's been a major struggle trying to find a job though - seems like the market is very saturated, and not having a local LA area address doesn't help either. I do use my brother's address from Sunnyvale, but guessing that wouldn't be very I am even willing to forego relocation package, as long as I can find a suitable job in the IT Project Mgmt field.

Fingers crossed, really hoping something works out! any and all advice from folks who made the move with solid local connections, or advice from locals, would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:11 AM

12,665 posts, read 11,410,394 times
Sunnyvale is about 350 miles from LA, so that address won't help much.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM

5,566 posts, read 3,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I live and work in Washington DC; I first visited LA in 2010 just for a couple of days, and was blown away by the endless options of lifestyle, food, diversity and things to do that LA offers. Since then, I have visited almost every year, twice last year, was there in April just now and plan to visit again late fall. Not sure what but there is something about LA that is absolutely amazing, and makes me feel right at home.

It's been a major struggle trying to find a job though - seems like the market is very saturated, and not having a local LA area address doesn't help either. I do use my brother's address from Sunnyvale, but guessing that wouldn't be very I am even willing to forego relocation package, as long as I can find a suitable job in the IT Project Mgmt field.

Fingers crossed, really hoping something works out! any and all advice from folks who made the move with solid local connections, or advice from locals, would be greatly appreciated.
High saturation, too many applicants.

Try to stick out positively if you can.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,545,010 times
I would try to hook up with a reputable recruiter or placement agency. I moved out of LA last year, but I still get emails on a weekly basis for project and product manager roles. The jobs exist, you may just need to be more creative in how you go about looking for them. Having said that, you may have to start in a contractor position after having moved yourself. I know very few people who received a relocation package to move to LA.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM

74,990 posts, read 87,412,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I would try to hook up with a reputable recruiter or placement agency. I moved out of LA last year, but I still get emails on a weekly basis for project and product manager roles. The jobs exist, you may just need to be more creative in how you go about looking for them. Having said that, you may have to start in a contractor position after having moved yourself. I know very few people who received a relocation package to move to LA.
great advise and I agree, and the thought of a relocation package is dreaming. it is rare in todays market for companies to offer relocation packages to new employees,especially in a market where there are more applicant's than jobs.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,232,428 times
Many people move to other cities with their current employer (move from one office of the company to another) or they get an offer from a company that has a position so specialized it can't be fulfilled by just the local workforce. Those positions often get fulfilled by head hunters or people influential in the industry. For example, for the Vice President of Sales at a company specialized in aerospace manufacturing, they might try to get talent from their competitors based in other states and conduct a nationwide search.

For many mid level positions though, employers don't offer relocation and people have to move with savings, expect to be unemployed for a couple months, and apply to jobs after moving. I mean if a recruiter called you Tuesday, you did a phone interview, and they said they wanted to bring you in for an in person interview on Thursday, could you get on a plane and get to LA in two days? You specifically might be able to... but many HR recruiters just chuck resumes from out of area applicants because to often the candidate says: "Well, actually, I don't live in the area so could you give me a week to request two vacation days from my current manager and book flights to make an interview...."

Old 05-28-2018, 12:03 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
960 posts, read 950,067 times
You might be having a problem selling yourself in your resume and cover letter. I was stuck in that overgrown truck stop town/militia compound known as Phoenix for what seemed to be an eternity until a few months ago. I have a pretty solid resume and cover letter, and was able to get a fair amount of interviews. If you're willing to forgo relocation packages, you ought to mention that in your cover letter (you can always try to write it off on tax filing, which is what I'm going to do next year). I also made myself very available for phone and in-person interviews (actually came out here three times, one including the job I now have) to show how serious I was. My point is that moving from out of state can be done (though admittedly, I lived much closer to LA then than you do now).

I don't know what your process is, but from what I gather from most people, they don't spend nearly as much time as they ought to on a job hunt. The reality is that looking for a job is tedious, stressful, frustrating, and an all around unpleasant experience, and I'm sure there are things people would much rather do in their free time. In addition to my obligations, I spent 3-4 hours per day looking for a job, because it meant that much to me to get out of Phoenix, and after 14 months of looking I was able to leave. On your end, you'll need a lot of persistence, patience, discipline and determination. I put in a lot of hard work, sacrificed almost all of my free time, and in the end it paid off and I can relax and live my life now. I'm glad it happened and wish it had sooner, because I'm much happier here. I think a large part of this process is your frame of mind and how willing you are to work for it.

If you want, you can DM me and I can try to offer any other insight or tactics. If I should presume you hate DC, I know what it's like being stuck in a place you hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or