Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:42 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,855 times

Advertisements

What I mean by that is no more gaps in development, shoddy areas, or huge parking lots interrupting the walking experience. Do you think in the next 10 years we'll see DTLA something more like Downtown SF, with consistent development and vibrance? Or do you think it'll always be a somewhat so-so area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,770 times
I’d say another 3 decades. DTLA can feel dead and empty on weekends when there isn’t any major event going on. Even on weekdays after working hours. There’s still a feeling of this city being car orientated suburbia. Most of the time the light rail system here takes 3 times longer than if you were to drive. Also the metro area is so sprawled out that it’s impossible to cover every single job center and residential neighborhood. And then there’s Skidrow which is another story completely however that will always haunt downtown.

I’m a millennial Angeleno and everyone I know can’t wait to save up for a car and begin driving. Those who take public transportation usually do so because they finanally can not afford the various expenses to own and maintain an automobile.

If DTLA could merge with Koreatown along Wilshire and cap those freeways, that’d be great. Like I said I think we’re still 30 years off until that point. Sleepy downtown San Diego has a better chance of becoming ultra dense at a more rapid pace due to ocean geographic boundaries and the hills on the opposite side forcing development to be dense.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM

307 posts, read 242,126 times
7-8 more years in my opinion.. I've been to downtown Chicago, Manhattan, SF, etc. And even in those cities not every block is teaming with people, shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Yes those are world class downtowns especially Chicago and Manhattan but its like with DTLA people expect every nook, cranny, and every block has to be phenomenal in every aspect of urban vitality overnight. Yes the homeless situation needs to improve and there needs to be more affordable housing for the middle class but DTLA is definitively on its way. Also these other major cities with exceptional downtowns don't have competition from a Hollywood, Santa Monica, West LA, Century City, Culver City, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:38 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Downtown could go away completely and I'd be happy.

If I want tall buildings and "urban vitality" I'd go to SF, Chicago, or NY...

Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
The big issue is skid row being right there . All the SRO buildings are zoned for SRO permanently . I don’t see the missions going anywhere either . As long as you have such a high concentration of homeless with the number growing I don’t see things changing for the better in terms of sketchiness .
Only way I see things changing would be some big policy change but I don’t see that maybe for decades if ever .

The homeless problem in SF is pretty bad as well it’s a big issue and some of the candidates for mayor have been talking about taking a more aggressive approach.

L.A is a different type of city than SF as SF is tiny .

It’s 47 Square miles while L.A is 503 . NYC with all the boroughs is 304 and Manhattan is 22.82

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
Currently it is really hard to predict. I wouldnt count in the next 10 years. Way too soon. Maybe 20 years.
There are way too many parking lots and too little local population to make it connected and vibrant.

Despite the development over the past 20 years, there are still way too many parking lots in the core areas like across Target or up at bunker hill, or FIDM, Ace Hotel, Chinatown, Hotel figueroa, Grand Central Market, etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
The sheer amount of homeless people alone make DTLA a place that is never going to be "solid"..... It's quite sad and honestly, quite gross... to see such a massive amount of homeless in and around DTLA. It is for that reason, I avoid it like the plague. DTLA will never be a Manhattan or even a downtown Chicago...or even a Philly!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Currently it is really hard to predict. I wouldnt count in the next 10 years. Way too soon. Maybe 20 years.
There are way too many parking lots and too little local population to make it connected and vibrant.

Despite the development over the past 20 years, there are still way too many parking lots in the core areas like across Target or up at bunker hill, or FIDM, Ace Hotel, Chinatown, Hotel figueroa, Grand Central Market, etc.
But there are still a lot of parking lots because there is still demand for people wanting to drive in L.A even downtown . Or think if you are going to the jewelry market and buying a diamond ring would you want to walk around with it and travel on the redline ?

People going to those hotels generally want to drive too .

People will only take the subway / public transit once it makes no sense to drive like in NY . People take it in L.A of course but nothing like NYC

Old 06-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
The sheer amount of homeless people alone make DTLA a place that is never going to be "solid"..... It's quite sad and honestly, quite gross... to see such a massive amount of homeless in and around DTLA. It is for that reason, I avoid it like the plague. DTLA will never be a Manhattan or even a downtown Chicago...or even a Philly!
Skid Row has been there 100 years and likely ain’t going anywhere .

If skid row and the missions and SROs were relocated downtown would be totally different . Prices would go up even more than now . There is a ton of building going on now of course .

The sketchiness of the area though makes the area harder to enjoy . Which is a shame as it has great potential to be a “world class” downtown . A ton of interesting and good restaurants and places there these days . But you gotta put up with 3rd world type conditions .

Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 AM

545 posts, read 513,600 times
I would think they will have it cleaned up by the Olympics in 2028 but then the homeless will probably just return afterwards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles