U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 PM

20,011 posts, read 22,344,958 times

Advertisements

I stopped going there as soon as I started Ebooks on Kindle. While I enjoy the feel of a book, they take up a ton of room. When I moved I took over 400 books to goodwill. I have all my books on a iPad. Takes up the space of a typical car magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 PM

10,891 posts, read 10,591,012 times
Even Jean Luc Picard had physical books in addition to his Space Kindle pad thing.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 PM

7,341 posts, read 4,103,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Even Jean Luc Picard had physical books in addition to his Space Kindle pad thing.
Merely collectibles, on his part, just like many have a physical portrait instead relying on a device and the cloud storage to show the mass of their photo galleries.

Besides they have replicators that can just dial up a paper book on demand, unless the Enterprise is running from the Borg and can't spare those limited resources for their future 3d printer.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 PM

10,891 posts, read 10,591,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Merely collectibles, on his part, just like many have a physical portrait instead relying on a device and the cloud storage to show the mass of their photo galleries.

Besides they have replicators that can just dial up a paper book on demand, unless the Enterprise is running from the Borg and can't spare those limited resources for their future 3d printer.
Picard had a collection of books, and put them to use, as demonstrated in more than one episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbGOCdM1Ks

Old 05-29-2018, 05:28 AM

7,341 posts, read 4,103,625 times
Quote:
Picard had a collection of books, and put them to use, as demonstrated in more than one episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbGOCdM1Ks
Just like we all will have when we all have a 3D printer in our homes to match the Enterprise's replicator and decide to print out a book on paper, pay the environmental sinners tax, instead of just reading it on a screen.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:44 AM

1,361 posts, read 1,109,540 times
Quote:
what a lot of people don't seem to appreciate is how gratifying an experience it is to those of us who seek knowledge to simply browse through actual pockets/spines of books.
You're part of the problem. Too many browsers. Not enough buyers.

I often visited the Santa Monica B&N. The aisles were crowded, especially on weekends. People sitting on chairs, along the window sills, on the floors. People spreading out their schoolwork, books, notebooks, laptops on the floors. Taking up aisle space with their huge backpacks.

It was one big hangout place.

At the same time, I noticed that only one cash register was open. And half the time, there wasn't a single customer on line. A packed store -- three floors -- and nobody buying books.

Even worse, many of the "new" books on the shelves were dog-eared, smudged, and stained from all that "browsing." Such books were less likely to sell, and were thus returned to the publishers, losing a sale for the bookstore, publisher, and author.

And if anyone, from all that browsing, did find a book they wanted to own, they were more likely to go home and buy it on Amazon, to save money.

Those who love bookstores need to stop browsing, and start buying.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:25 AM

1,390 posts, read 524,787 times
Yeah, given how much money your typical bougie Santa Monica dweller spends on utter nonsense, you'd think they wouldn't mind spending a few bucks more to keep the local bookstore in business.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yeah, given how much money your typical bougie Santa Monica dweller spends on utter nonsense, you'd think they wouldn't mind spending a few bucks more to keep the local bookstore in business.
Yeah maybe they don’t have money left after spending $4000 a month on small apartments or $2 million for a small house .

But I get the feeling the Promenade is mostly tourists especially these days . Mostly European and Asian it seems. Rents are so high now that it’s mostly only chain stores that can afford the leases.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Amazon...
yep, I have to admit we haven't been in a Barnes and Noble for years since we discovered Amazon. I think our closest one has closed as well.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I stopped going there as soon as I started Ebooks on Kindle. While I enjoy the feel of a book, they take up a ton of room. When I moved I took over 400 books to goodwill. I have all my books on a iPad. Takes up the space of a typical car magazine
You may already know but you can loan /download ebooks in kindle format from LAPL , they also have a ton of audiobooks too . For the newer or more popular titles sometimes you have to wait on a hold list but there is a lot available .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles