Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 6,813 times

Advertisements

Sick of the New England winters, my husband and I are looking to move to the West coast. We’ve visited San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, none of them have felt like the place to uproot us. We’re currently in LA and am wondering if the neighborhood I had in my mind just doesn’t exist? I’m hoping you can provide suggestions on neighborhoods we should check out that fit the bill, or if another county would be a better fit?

Ideally looking for a neighborhood that’s within a few blocks of restaurants and cafes that is slightly suburban in terms of single family homes, where we could ultimately purchase for between $7-800k. We stayed in Silver Lake which had great restaurants and cafes nearby but was exceptionally compact. Driving through Los Feliz seemed to provide a bit more room but I don’t think would fit in that range. West Hollywood also seems too high. We loved little Tokyo but appeared to be more apartment complexes.

We drove by Glendale but not really through it. What about Pasadena? Or Long Beach? Or am I in the wrong county altogether and should be looking closer to Irvine? West Covina? I tried to research as many neighborhoods as possible before getting here but it’s such a large city I don’t think you can fully prepare. We have one day left to checkout the neighborhoods before returning home. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:43 AM

121 posts, read 154,998 times
I was going to say Pasadena.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0msternat0r View Post
Sick of the New England winters, my husband and I are looking to move to the West coast. We’ve visited San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, none of them have felt like the place to uproot us. We’re currently in LA and am wondering if the neighborhood I had in my mind just doesn’t exist? I’m hoping you can provide suggestions on neighborhoods we should check out that fit the bill, or if another county would be a better fit?

Ideally looking for a neighborhood that’s within a few blocks of restaurants and cafes that is slightly suburban in terms of single family homes, where we could ultimately purchase for between $7-800k. We stayed in Silver Lake which had great restaurants and cafes nearby but was exceptionally compact. Driving through Los Feliz seemed to provide a bit more room but I don’t think would fit in that range. West Hollywood also seems too high. We loved little Tokyo but appeared to be more apartment complexes.

We drove by Glendale but not really through it. What about Pasadena? Or Long Beach? Or am I in the wrong county altogether and should be looking closer to Irvine? West Covina? I tried to research as many neighborhoods as possible before getting here but it’s such a large city I don’t think you can fully prepare. We have one day left to checkout the neighborhoods before returning home. Thank you!
What comes to mind for me right away would be: Pasadena and So. Pasadena. No to W Covina I don't know about your budget though, what size home are you considering?

Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Try Encino near the Town Center on Ventura Blvd.; 53 restaurants in area, an art movie theatre, and a lot of little SFH bungalows north of the boulevard.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:01 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What comes to mind for me right away would be: Pasadena and So. Pasadena.
Not much available in those cities in a $700-800 K price range. A condo, maybe.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:39 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Pasadena and South Pasadena are good choices, but you would likely need to increase your budget for a SFR. Also, look into Monrovia, Glendora and La Crescenta-Montrose. All have nice downtown areas.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
South Pasadena is nice small town feel.
Sierra Madra is similar feel. just east of Pasadena near the foothills.
Altadena north of Pasadena has a woody feel
Northeast and Eastern Pasadena near Hastings Ranch is suburban.
most of places near restaurants/cafes are mainly apartments but as you go away it is mostly SFH.
Eagle Rock is a nice area esp along Colorado Blvd where most businesses are located.
Culver City has that small town feel esp near their Downtown area.

Last edited by saybanana; 05-28-2018 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 02:26 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,537 times
I don’t think you can find a SFH in South Pasadena in the $700-800K range. I would highly recommend the area though, it’s really nice!

Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0msternat0r View Post
Ideally looking for a neighborhood that’s within a few blocks of restaurants and cafes that is slightly suburban in terms of single family homes, where we could ultimately purchase for between $7-800k.
What you are describing exists in numerous places in Northern California (several towns and cities in Marin County and Sonoma County, and also on the Peninsula are especially nice), but your budget for purchase is far too low.

You are describing a dream community and dreams don't come cheap in California.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
Up here in northern California, anywhere north of Sacramento, we have dozens of small towns fitting to your desire and you can get a lovely house from $ 275 K and up. Our summers are like S. California (not like the coast but more inland) and our winters get down to 30 at night, occasionally, and 50 during the day. Three days of snow last winter, zero snow in 2016-17 previously.
Sorry, OP, you are looking at all the wrong places.
For 800 K there are 5 bedroom, 3,000 sq.foot homes with 2 acres and swimming pool-Jacuzzi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles