U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2018, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
Reputation: 12186

Advertisements

Apparently there are some that want to rename Leimart Park Africa Town or Wakanda .

I would think most natives or people that have lived here a long time would already recognize that the area is significant for African America arts and culture .

Most tourists probably don’t know but if it got renamed would tourists start going there anyways ?

Does the average person living there even want a bunch of tourists in their neighborhood?

—-
"This is Africa Town," Hall said.
Or Little Africa. Or the Pan African Arts District. Or, in a nod to the hit Marvel movie "Black Panther," Wakanda.
It all depends on who you talk to. Various groups have different visions, but each agrees that unlike with Koreatown or Little Tokyo, there's nothing in Leimert Park's name that tells residents or tourists that the triangular commercial district along Crenshaw Boulevard in South L.A. is the region's epicenter of African American arts and culture.

But neighborhood identity has been more fraught in L.A.'s African American communities, which have long felt disenfranchised by City Hall and ignored by developers and businesses. In 2003, the City Council voted to ban the name "South Central L.A." from city maps, saying it had become too associated with crime and blight.

There's Koreatown. There's Little Tokyo. So why can't Leimert Park be Africa Town? Or Wakanda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,281,870 times
Reputation: 7917
Wakanda is fake and ridiculous. However, renaming a place to honor its residents is not crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
3,166 posts, read 3,882,388 times
Reputation: 2378
I like Africa Town but I like wakanda too. Hopefully it gets some official designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,902 posts, read 10,598,812 times
Reputation: 10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsouthoc View Post
wakanda is fake and ridiculous. However, renaming a place to honor its residents is not crazy.
Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Elysium
7,350 posts, read 4,109,137 times
Reputation: 5225
The Wakanda location marker did get the biggest cheer, beating the emergence of Steve Rogers from the shadows during the showing of Avengers Infinity War at Magic Johnson's Theatre but that is only temporary. Even if it is near the corner of Martin Luther King Jr BLVD and soon to be Barack Obama BLVD the local area is in process to changing as the grandchildren of the white folks who started leaving in the 1950s are returning.

In another generation "Wakanda Park" could be like Koreatown, which is mostly Latino despite the signage and shops,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
Reputation: 12186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The Wakanda location marker did get the biggest cheer, beating the emergence of Steve Rogers from the shadows during the showing of Avengers Infinity War at Magic Johnson's Theatre but that is only temporary. Even if it is near the corner of Martin Luther King Jr BLVD and soon to be Barack Obama BLVD the local area is in process to changing as the grandchildren of the white folks who started leaving in the 1950s are returning.

In another generation "Wakanda Park" could be like Koreatown, which is mostly Latino despite the signage and shops,
It does seem demographics are changing a bit , with whites priced out of the Westside more likely to consider Leimart Park and other South L.A neighborhoods . But it seems in reality demographics don’t change as bad as the media makes it out to be .

It’s actually been more the Hispanic population that has really grown in South L.A over recent years .

You hear a lot about white hipsters taking over Echo Park and “pushing out “ low income Hispanics for example but in reality it’s still Hispanic majority .


I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
3,166 posts, read 3,882,388 times
Reputation: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It does seem demographics are changing a bit , with whites priced out of the Westside more likely to consider Leimart Park and other South L.A neighborhoods . But it seems in reality demographics don’t change as bad as the media makes it out to be .

It’s actually been more the Hispanic population that has really grown in South L.A over recent years .

You hear a lot about white hipsters taking over Echo Park and “pushing out “ low income Hispanics for example but in reality it’s still Hispanic majority .


I
But Leimert is different. Just a few years ago it was somewhat uncommon to see even Hispanics around that area. There are more white people there than there were Hispanics just a few years ago. It’s staggering to see. We won’t have anymore majority black neighborhoods soon at this rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:20 PM
 
Location: CA
1,209 posts, read 2,355,362 times
Reputation: 1240
Rest in Peace Marcus Davion Higgens

July 7, 1978 - May 26, 2018

Africa Town forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
 
18,182 posts, read 11,677,333 times
Reputation: 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
But Leimert is different. Just a few years ago it was somewhat uncommon to see even Hispanics around that area. There are more white people there than there were Hispanics just a few years ago. It’s staggering to see. We won’t have anymore majority black neighborhoods soon at this rate.
Considering how low the % of blacks in CA is, having a black majority area will be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
262 posts, read 124,278 times
Reputation: 393
Maybe we could call Beverly hills Israel?

Where do we end with this? We could have fun with it for a while as long as no one gets offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top