U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you do when someone approaches you for cash at the door of a store?
Politely decline 35 71.43%
Rudely decline 3 6.12%
ignore completely 8 16.33%
help out with some change/cash 1 2.04%
help out in ways other than giving money 0 0%
complain to someone to have person reomoved 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
Reputation: 12186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think the Corvette is a magnet for them
They see it, and think, "this dude has money".
I have worked hard to have what I have, and ,the reason I have these things is because I didn't give money away.

Bob.
Yeah I would think a nicer car would attract more panhandlers .

When people are panhandling by the freeways I usually notice the people in nicer cars seem less likely to give them money .

Someone at UCLA should get a grant to do an official study on it though I think it would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,902 posts, read 10,598,812 times
Reputation: 10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think the Corvette is a magnet for them
They see it, and think, "this dude has money".
I have worked hard to have what I have, and ,the reason I have these things is because I didn't give money away.

Bob.
You are correct. I drive two cars -- one of them is a moderately priced project car, the other is a classic Mercedes roadster. When I'm in the Mercedes, vagrants will sometimes go to the trouble of trying to flag me down while the car is moving in order to hit me up with their rubbish -- the last time it happened I lit up the rears pulling away from a gas station (car didn't come with traction control since it hadn't been invented yet).

Can't wait to see how bad it gets after I do the AMG conversion package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Memphis, Tn ~ U.S.A.
2,002 posts, read 4,352,446 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I really go on a case to case basis. When hit outside a store, I usually say, "Do you take Visa"? (Still waiting for one who does ). Gas stations, same thing. At intersections or off ramps, if they look sober and are polite, I might give 'em a buck. I remember one time there was a teenage couple at a street corner with a sign. They reminded me of my kid, so I gave them 20 bucks and said "Go have lunch". It all depends, I guess.
They probably bought 2 dime bags of black tar heroin with your 20


Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You are correct. I drive two cars -- one of them is a moderately priced project car, the other is a classic Mercedes roadster. When I'm in the Mercedes, vagrants will sometimes go to the trouble of trying to flag me down while the car is moving in order to hit me up with their rubbish -- the last time it happened I lit up the rears pulling away from a gas station (car didn't come with traction control since it hadn't been invented yet).

Can't wait to see how bad it gets after I do the AMG conversion package.
I had a 83 380sl. If you put the pedal to the metal making a right turn the car would smoke the tires for half a block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Memphis, Tn ~ U.S.A.
2,002 posts, read 4,352,446 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I would think a nicer car would attract more panhandlers .

When people are panhandling by the freeways I usually notice the people in nicer cars seem less likely to give them money .

Someone at UCLA should get a grant to do an official study on it though I think it would be interesting.
Poor people tend to give away/donate more money proportionately then the wealthy. Not sure if it's because they know the struggle or if they are so close to broke themselves what's a few bucks going to matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,902 posts, read 10,598,812 times
Reputation: 10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I had a 83 380sl. If you put the pedal to the metal making a right turn the car would smoke the tires for half a block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 11,084,025 times
Reputation: 15736
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think the Corvette is a magnet for them
They see it, and think, "this dude has money".
If the dude had real money, he wouldn't be driving a Corvette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 11,084,025 times
Reputation: 15736
I've only given to panhandlers twice.

1) an elderly guy - maybe 80, although looks can be deceiving. He was a double amputee. Lost both his legs. No prosthetics.

2) a 35-ish year old, clean cut, well dressed man with two daughters about ages 5 & 7, who were also well dressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 12:54 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
3,140 posts, read 2,536,006 times
Reputation: 2028
I shake my head, sometimes with an inaudible "No," and avoid eye contact. It always puts a stop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,191 posts, read 7,999,677 times
Reputation: 7930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If the dude had real money, he wouldn't be driving a Corvette.
Say's someone who probably drives a Toyota Carolla, or Ford Fiesta.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top