U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 AM

4,685 posts, read 2,952,099 times

Advertisements

So work and house price aren't a concern. Many areas in the valley have some homeless but not a lot like more city like areas.
Still constantly increasing taxes, fees and every kind of cost you could imagine are always nipping at your rear.
Stupid left wing laws to aggravate you even if they don't affect you that much.
Many get fed up and leave.
The older you get the physically harder it is to move out
I'm scared it's going to get really really bad if Newson gets in!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
If you have family here or are physically unable to move, that’s one thing. But otherwise I do know a few people who are cashing in their lotto ticket aka their house, and moving elsewhere.

I don’t really agree that the taxes and fees are a huge deal though it’s getting close. Gas is up to a $1 a gallon cheaper in other states and the car registration has nearly doubled this year.

For me, it’s traffic that is the killer. I see you live in Sylmar and I’d bet most days it’s nearly a two hour drive to Malibu or the South Bay Beaches. And the was always one of the attractions to LA...the ability to do many different things. But traffic just has it so jacked up.

If I lived anywhere that had me grossing over $500k on my house and I didn’t have strong family ties, or need to work, I’d sell and be done with CA. Esp if I lived in some traffic hell hole like the Westside. Sell that million dollar place, buy somewhere cheap, and take a trip every other month.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,452,153 times
Prop 13 definitely keeps a lot of people in L.A and CA that would otherwise move if they had to pay huge taxes on their properties .

Newsom will be worse than Brown .

If you are retired and have the option to move , definitely seems there are more livable places to live in at a lower cost of living .

Despite what some say many are moving out of “Blue” states like California , Illinois , New Jersey . To “red states”

If not for immigration the population of CA would be declining , which is why the politicians pander to immigrants .. legal or otherwise .

America's top five inbound vs. top five outbound states: How do they compare on a variety of economic, business climate and political measures? - AEI

Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If you have family here or are physically unable to move, that’s one thing. But otherwise I do know a few people who are cashing in their lotto ticket aka their house, and moving elsewhere.

I don’t really agree that the taxes and fees are a huge deal though it’s getting close. Gas is up to a $1 a gallon cheaper in other states and the car registration has nearly doubled this year.

For me, it’s traffic that is the killer. I see you live in Sylmar and I’d bet most days it’s nearly a two hour drive to Malibu or the South Bay Beaches. And the was always one of the attractions to LA...the ability to do many different things. But traffic just has it so jacked up.

If I lived anywhere that had me grossing over $500k on my house and I didn’t have strong family ties, or need to work, I’d sell and be done with CA. Esp if I lived in some traffic hell hole like the Westside. Sell that million dollar place, buy somewhere cheap, and take a trip every other month.
Gas is definitely a lot more , but if you have a recent fuel efficient car and don’t drive much agree it won’t be a huge expense . If retired people often drive less but varies of course .

Yeah I hear those stories of old timers in the valley that would get to the beach in no time but of course now it’s a whole ordeal .

It does seem like it could make sense to sell the million dollar place and move somewhere cheaper but a lot of these older people on the west side have paid off homes or their mortgages are tiny , prop 13 keeps their taxes low too . They keep seeing their home values go up and even during the housing crash prices didn’t drop as crazy as some areas.
Crime rates are pretty low on the westside and there are good medical facilities nearby too which is something older people have to think about .
Seems most won’t sell until they pass away or have to go to a nursing home .

Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,998,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So work and house price aren't a concern. Many areas in the valley have some homeless but not a lot like more city like areas.
Still constantly increasing taxes, fees and every kind of cost you could imagine are always nipping at your rear.
Stupid left wing laws to aggravate you even if they don't affect you that much.
Many get fed up and leave.
The older you get the physically harder it is to move out
I'm scared it's going to get really really bad if Newson gets in!

you should be scared about Newsome.... I am too!!!

Open borders, Socialized medicine, pander to the homeless and unions.... what could go wrong?!?!

I think the time to wave the white flag and leave if he wins would be in your best interest.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,502,266 times
The question for me is, where to go ? I hate snow, I hate bugs and I hate extreme desert heat. What's left ?

Old 06-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The question for me is, where to go ? I hate snow, I hate bugs and I hate extreme desert heat. What's left ?
Maybe Hawaii ? Although not probably going to be less expensive than L.A depends on where I guess .

Old 06-01-2018, 03:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,998,843 times
Quote:
Prescott Az or parts of Oregon

Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 PM

13,454 posts, read 25,358,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Maybe Hawaii ? Although not probably going to be less expensive than L.A depends on where I guess .
And not any less librul since that is the fear.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM

202 posts, read 406,705 times
Quote:
Lots of places in Pacific NWwould be OK. Oregon and WA have many places along the OR coast or Puget Sound (don't recommend Seattle or Portland if you don't want big cities of course) that do not have snow, heat, or bugs. Also, if you're adventurous the central part of Mexico in places like Lake Chapala, San Miguel Allende, Guanajuato, and Oaxaca have quite a lot of US and Canadian expats and spring like weather year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or