Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 02:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about the L.A river

Of course now that it might get revitalized and new development we are hearing the cries of gentrification .

Some of the stuff near the L.A river now looks like slums . It’s weird people want things to be nicer but then expect that it won’t cost more to live in those areas once nicer .

As the city celebrates the start of the project, some of the activists who originally championed the revitalization of the river fear that it has become a Trojan horse for gentrification. Sissy Trinh, the Vietnamese-American founder of the Southeast Asian Community Alliance (SEACA), said that she “recognizes the need for green infrastructure projects like the LA River restoration, but the practical reality is that these types of projects are profit-making opportunities for mega-developers who are creating a speculative economy in our impacted communities.”

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/l...n-displacement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 AM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
“Wherever the river is, it connects all of us,” said Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti. “Physically, environmentally, spiritually.”
maybe it's the alcohol but i cant stop laughing. this guy...

Old 06-02-2018, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting article about the L.A river

Of course now that it might get revitalized and new development we are hearing the cries of gentrification .

Some of the stuff near the L.A river now looks like slums . It’s weird people want things to be nicer but then expect that it won’t cost more to live in those areas once nicer .

As the city celebrates the start of the project, some of the activists who originally championed the revitalization of the river fear that it has become a Trojan horse for gentrification. Sissy Trinh, the Vietnamese-American founder of the Southeast Asian Community Alliance (SEACA), said that she “recognizes the need for green infrastructure projects like the LA River restoration, but the practical reality is that these types of projects are profit-making opportunities for mega-developers who are creating a speculative economy in our impacted communities.”

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/l...n-displacement
The L.A. river has never been a piece of art or a piece of anything for that matter.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yeah I thought it was hilarious because I think hardly anyone in L.A thinks about the L.A River like that .
Never seen someone doing yoga , meditating or praying at the L.A river

Old 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I thought it was hilarious because I think hardly anyone in L.A thinks about the L.A River like that .
Never seen someone doing yoga , meditating or praying at the L.A river
Change that to "preying" and you would have.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Didn't the Army of Engineers ruin it, long ago by building a levy? And didn't the City divert the natural waterway?

I don't believe in "gentrification." If something is slummy and ugly and someone wants to make it nice, to me, that is cool and a no-brainer. Who would be dumb enough to say: "No, we want to keep it trashy and ugly."

Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Didn't the Army of Engineers ruin it, long ago by building a levy? And didn't the City divert the natural waterway?

I don't believe in "gentrification." If something is slummy and ugly and someone wants to make it nice, to me, that is cool and a no-brainer. Who would be dumb enough to say: "No, we want to keep it trashy and ugly."
The people who live there and can only afford to, while it is less than it could be.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Thank God he cannot be elected for another term as mayor!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Thank God he cannot be elected for another term as mayor!
Yeah but his second term is going to be 5 1/2 years ! So we are still stuck with him for a long time .

Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 PM

117 posts, read 129,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Wide variance between slummy and ugly on one had, and prohibitive to anyone earning less than 6 figures individually or 150k with 2 earners on the other hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles