U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,625 posts, read 15,425,740 times
Reputation: 24225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
2sleepy, you're just plain wrong on this issue. The majority of vagrants in L.A. are in need of psychiatric assistance and your desire to keep them on the streets thwarts any chances they have to get the help they need.
It is not my desire to keep them on the streets so miss me with that. While a fair number of the homeless are mentally ill they do not come even close to the criteria required for mandatory confinement in a mental hospital, that might be your ideal solution but it's not happening. What most of the non violent mentally ill need is someone to monitor their meds, and that's hard to do on the streets, that's why solutions like supportive housing tend to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,625 posts, read 15,425,740 times
Reputation: 24225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Is the requirement that the shelters have to be built right in la where there is like zero land even available and where land is ridiculously high ? Tiny lot’s of land go for millions here .
People do work 40 hours a week and then do uber or deliver pizzas . Or some of these people are working like 12 hours a day doing uber.
I don’t see there being money to build housing for everyone that wants to live in L.A and subsidize it , do you ?
It's fine to build homeless housing outside of the city just so you understand that you can't force people to live in it and unfortunately a tent city in the desert is not going to be any more appealing than a leanto on the sidewalk to a number of the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,452,153 times
Reputation: 12186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is not my desire to keep them on the streets so miss me with that. While a fair number of the homeless are mentally ill they do not come even close to the criteria required for mandatory confinement in a mental hospital, that might be your ideal solution but it's not happening. What most of the non violent mentally ill need is someone to monitor their meds, and that's hard to do on the streets, that's why solutions like supportive housing tend to work.
Are you sure ? Have you seen the current batch of homeless in L.A .

If that behavior doesn’t get you in the mental hospital what does ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,625 posts, read 15,425,740 times
Reputation: 24225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you sure ? Have you seen the current batch of homeless in L.A .
If that behavior doesn’t get you in the mental hospital what does ?
I don't want to keep going over the same thing, we have discussed the criteria for a 5150 hold more times than I can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,897 posts, read 10,595,250 times
Reputation: 10955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't want to keep going over the same thing, we have discussed the criteria for a 5150 hold more times than I can count.
No matter, the vast majority of vagrants in this city are mentally sick and need to be placed in the care of professionals who can give them the medication they need. To do otherwise is just plain cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 AM
 
18,182 posts, read 11,673,744 times
Reputation: 9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No matter, the vast majority of vagrants in this city are mentally sick and need to be placed in the care of professionals who can give them the medication they need. To do otherwise is just plain cruel.
Even if not the majority, it is cruel to not get them help and aid them in getting out of the life they lead now. Lets see which politicians are going to do that?


Tent cities or even housing as proposed does not help anyone get away from mental and drug problems, in fact it aggravates it; in effect supporting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,625 posts, read 15,425,740 times
Reputation: 24225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No matter, the vast majority of vagrants in this city are mentally sick and need to be placed in the care of professionals who can give them the medication they need. To do otherwise is just plain cruel.
No, the "vast majority" are not mentally sick, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of the homeless are mentally ill https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Ment...By-the-Numbers It probably just seems like more because they are the ones who stand out. And yes, the seriously mentally ill should be treated but in most cases they have the right to refuse treatment, including medication.http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Docu...ok_English.pdf

I'm puzzled why some people claim that all of these people need to be confined to mental hospitals but then they outright dismiss the idea of supportive housing. Supportive housing provides the mentally ill with treatment and monitoring but at a fraction of what confinement in a psychiatric hospital would cost. And supportive housing is a long term solution, the average commitment to a psychiatric hospital is 8 days...the courts will not mandate confinement in psychiatric hospitals unless the person is gravely disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,452,153 times
Reputation: 12186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, the "vast majority" are not mentally sick, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of the homeless are mentally ill https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Ment...By-the-Numbers It probably just seems like more because they are the ones who stand out. And yes, the seriously mentally ill should be treated but in most cases they have the right to refuse treatment, including medication.http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Docu...ok_English.pdf

I'm puzzled why some people claim that all of these people need to be confined to mental hospitals but then they outright dismiss the idea of supportive housing. Supportive housing provides the mentally ill with treatment and monitoring but at a fraction of what confinement in a psychiatric hospital would cost. And supportive housing is a long term solution, the average commitment to a psychiatric hospital is 8 days...the courts will not mandate confinement in psychiatric hospitals unless the person is gravely disabled.
That doesn’t mention data for L.A or CA specially though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,625 posts, read 15,425,740 times
Reputation: 24225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That doesn’t mention data for L.A or CA specially though .
I bet you could find those numbers if you looked for them, I can't because I'm going to bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 03:43 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,897 posts, read 10,595,250 times
Reputation: 10955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, the "vast majority" are not mentally sick, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of the homeless are mentally ill https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Ment...By-the-Numbers It probably just seems like more because they are the ones who stand out. And yes, the seriously mentally ill should be treated but in most cases they have the right to refuse treatment, including medication.http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Docu...ok_English.pdf

I'm puzzled why some people claim that all of these people need to be confined to mental hospitals but then they outright dismiss the idea of supportive housing. Supportive housing provides the mentally ill with treatment and monitoring but at a fraction of what confinement in a psychiatric hospital would cost. And supportive housing is a long term solution, the average commitment to a psychiatric hospital is 8 days...the courts will not mandate confinement in psychiatric hospitals unless the person is gravely disabled.

Living on the streets is mentally sick by default, and it's un-Christianly to ignore vagrants. Shame on anybody who wants to hurt vagrants by ignoring them. People living on the streets are prisoners in their own minds and slaves to the demonic voices in their heads, so essentially keeping vagrants on the streets is the equivalent of placing people in concentration camps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top