Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK you pay for public housing as that is where the money comes from ... your pocket.It will cost a LOT.

I am not carrying water for anyone just speaking about reality.

Tenants should pay or leave. That is what happens to every person who bought a house and can't make the payments, why should renters be free of paying what they owe?
Yeah exactly . All these advocates viewing it from an emotional point of view .

Is moving to Arizona or Texas really the end of the world ? Will these people combust if they have to move out of the L.A area ?

We just can’t subsidize everyone that wants to live in L.A . Nobody is entitled to live in L.A just because they want to .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano Power 1998 View Post
My ancestors built this state. Why the phu0ck should I move away just to satisfy your imperialist and colonialism motives? Just go back to where you came from, and tell all your transplant friends. Southern California is full, there’s already too many people.

I’m certain that you’re not welcomed because you’d just contribute to the already brutal traffic on the 10 freeway.
Where do I go back to where I came from if I was born in CA ?

You must be wealthy if your ancestors built the state.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano Power 1998 View Post
“Native”. ROFL-COPTER okay. Learn the history of Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Ángeles and go back to Europe you colonizer.
Europe? No thanks . I think I’ll buy property in Boyle Heights and do my part to gentrify it

Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah exactly . All these advocates viewing it from an emotional point of view .
Is moving to Arizona or Texas really the end of the world ? Will these people combust if they have to move out of the L.A area ? We just can’t subsidize everyone that wants to live in L.A . Nobody is entitled to live in L.A just because they want to .
The problem with your argument is that LA can't afford to lose large numbers of lower wage workers, who will be left to clean your streets, teach your kids, cut your hair or stock the shelves in grocery stores? People are not going to commute from the Antelope Valley or Arizona to cater to your needs.

That is one of the prices that society has to pay for the wonderful free market. There are two options, the government provides housing subsidies or rent control is imposed, but at this point I'm thinking rent control is probably too little too late.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK you pay for public housing as that is where the money comes from ... your pocket.It will cost a LOT.
I am not carrying water for anyone just speaking about reality.
Tenants should pay or leave. That is what happens to every person who bought a house and can't make the payments, why should renters be free of paying what they owe?
Yep! Pay or leave, and in time they will definitely leave. And when they do there won't be anyone left to do the grunt work. Good luck trying to find people who are willing to spend 4 hours a day commuting to DTLA from Palmdale to work for $15 an hour.

My guess is that at some point local governments will have to subsidize rents for low wage workers just to keep them from fleeing enmasse, and this won't be unique to LA, it will probably happen in San Francisco first.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yep! Pay or leave, and in time they will definitely leave. And when they do there won't be anyone left to do the grunt work. Good luck trying to find people who are willing to spend 4 hours a day commuting to DTLA from Palmdale to work for $15 an hour.

My guess is that at some point local governments will have to subsidize rents for low wage workers just to keep them from fleeing enmasse, and this won't be unique to LA, it will probably happen in San Francisco first.
What about the homeless?? They can do our grunt work. They're not busy and they can earn a few bucks. Win win

Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Murphy View Post
Well in that case you just move further and further out until you find a place you can afford the rent. Can’t expect to always pay the same low rent in a desirable neighborhood. No one’s entitled to stay in an area just because they were born there and never lived anywhere else.

Why struggling living paycheck by paycheck, just barely getting by, than moving somewhere else where you can get ahead with the lower cost of living? If anything, the landlords are doing them a favor by forcing (evicting) people to explore other options and opportunities.
Quote:
The problem with your argument is that LA can't afford to lose large numbers of lower wage workers, who will be left to clean your streets, teach your kids, cut your hair or stock the shelves in grocery stores? People are not going to commute from the Antelope Valley or Arizona to cater to your needs.

That is one of the prices that society has to pay for the wonderful free market. There are two options, the government provides housing subsidies or rent control is imposed, but at this point I'm thinking rent control is probably too little too late.
That’s not true . There are plenty of people that are willing to commute far . Housing is expensive but people still line up for min wage jobs . Where I used to work there were even people in the IT department commuting from Antelope Valley . There were facilities and janitorial staff commuting from Fontana to the Westside of L.A
Because they could own homes there instead of renting a small studio or something closer to work .

There are plenty of people including illegal immigrants that will stack up 4 people to a 1 bedroom apartment for example . Might be better than the village they came from .

People aren’t having trouble finding employees for lower end jobs , they are having more trouble at the higher end because those with professional careers and a middle class lifestyle expect more. They want to be able to live in a decent area and usually a single family home especially if they have kids.

There already is rent control in L.A but sometimes people decide to get out of the rental business and develop property . Which they should have every right to do .
There is not enough money or space to provide housing subsidies for every single person that wants to live in la but can’t afford market rents .

Just giving you perspective and reality since I live in L.A things might be a bit diffferent up north.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
What about the homeless?? They can do our grunt work. They're not busy and they can earn a few bucks. Win win
Plenty of them work , just in “untraditional careers” . Robbery , burglary, shoplifting , panhandling ,etc
Many of the homeless are ex cons .

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

If enough left it would drive up salaries for those staying as there would not be enough workers and rent would not be a problem, plus reducing the number of illegals taking low paying jobs, driving salaries down for everyone else that wants such a job. Supply and demand not the Gov't stepping in and hurting both sides.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That would be great but it might be tough for them to shower before work and change clothes, dontcha think Seriously I think it would be great to put able bodied homeless people to work but it's not as easy as walking up to them and saying "you're hired". A Northern California County I am familiar with got some grant money several years ago to give homeless parolees jobs, but that money also included housing for 60 days after they were hired (they paid 1/2 of their wages for the housing) The local parks and rec department agreed to hire them and train them and waive union wage and hours rules for the program, they went to work raking leaves and dumping trash for $9 or $10 an hour but they also learned how to operate and maintain landscaping and irrigation equipment. Of the dozen or so that started the program about half of them went on to become regular full time City employees, some of the others obtained private sector jobs and 2 or 3 just fell off somewhere along the way and disappeared. I'm sure that could be replicated but there doesn't seem to be much will to put together programs like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles